In-range Testosterone/E2 levels but extremely low DHEA-S levels

Buy Lab Tests Online

newmnton

Hi all. This is a crosspost from the thyroid related section.

I had these blood results taken earlier this year. I have a few questions, primarily around my very low DHEA-S levels. For context, I am a 27 year old male.

Follow up questions, are my testosterone levels alongside my estradiol readings any cause for concern?

For those who cannot see the document:
  • DHEA-S level is 2.7umol/L while the reference is 4.6-16.1
  • Free Testosterone is 501 pmol/L with reference 180-739
  • Estradiol 124pmol/L with reference 40-161
The only supplement/drug of note I’ve previously taken is MK-677 for a shoulder injury over lockdown. I do drink coffee (everyday) and chew nicotine gum (periods on and off for weeks at a time each).

I am open to seeing an endocrinologist, but am not convinced by doctors in my area. If you have any telemedicine options that are legally allowed to service international patients, that would be great too.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• bloodwork.pdf
    114.4 KB · Views: 36
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Your testosterone and estradiol levels seem fine. Are you having any particular problems that led you to have this testing done? If not then the low DHEA-S in isolation isn't necessarily a big concern. You can always try supplementing with DHEA directly to see if it does anything for you. This is easy in the U.S. where DHEA is an OTC supplement—but in some locations you may need a prescription.

Your vitamin D is kind of high. If you're supplementing then you may want to reduce the dose. There are some negative correlations with levels above 50 ng/mL.

newmnton

Your testosterone and estradiol levels seem fine. Are you having any particular problems that led you to have this testing done? If not then the low DHEA-S in isolation isn't necessarily a big concern. You can always try supplementing with DHEA directly to see if it does anything for you. This is easy in the U.S. where DHEA is an OTC supplement—but in some locations you may need a prescription.

Your vitamin D is kind of high. If you're supplementing then you may want to reduce the dose. There are some negative correlations with levels above 50 ng/mL.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I wanted a comprehensive blood test so that I can have a reference point for future tests, no real direct issue. Do you have any idea why my DHEA-S levels might be so low even though T/E2 seem ok? Glad that in isolation it does not seem problematic, I was just not expecting something so far out of range, and really want to understand why it might occur.

I was supplementing with Vitamin D at the time, and have since stopped that. My levels have reached a more normal reading now.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
There are probably both benign and problematic reasons for low DHEA-S. If you want to be aggressive then you can have more comprehensive adrenal testing performed to rule out adrenal insufficiency. I tend to think you'd be symptomatic if this were an issue, but I suppose it could be early in the process. This article mentions that certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies can hamper adrenal function, and you can test for these. Still, I'm reassured by your normal sex hormones. If these were my numbers I would just try supplementing with 12-25 mg DHEA daily and see if anything changes over time.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I found out my DHEA was very low after I had received a shot of corticosteroids.

Higher cortisol decreases DHEA (they balance each other in the adrenal glands). Is there a chance you have been exposed to higher cortisol?

MK-677 (ibutamoren) increases cortisol. But you say you took it back during lockdown times.

newmnton

I found out my DHEA was very low after I had received a shot of corticosteroids.

Higher cortisol decreases DHEA (they balance each other in the adrenal glands). Is there a chance you have been exposed to higher cortisol?

MK-677 (ibutamoren) increases cortisol. But you say you took it back during lockdown times.
Thanks for the reply Nelson -- yes it has been a long time since I took it. My cortisol readings seemed ok though?

newmnton

There are probably both benign and problematic reasons for low DHEA-S. If you want to be aggressive then you can have more comprehensive adrenal testing performed to rule out adrenal insufficiency. I tend to think you'd be symptomatic if this were an issue, but I suppose it could be early in the process. This article mentions that certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies can hamper adrenal function, and you can test for these. Still, I'm reassured by your normal sex hormones. If these were my numbers I would just try supplementing with 12-25 mg DHEA daily and see if anything changes over time.
Thanks for this, this gives me a good point to do some more research and experimentation. I'll look into the comprehensive testing too. Thanks very much for your time and information.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me