Impact of Biotin Supplementation on Endocrine Lab and Clinical Diagnosis

Buy Lab Tests Online
M

MarkM

Biotin supplementation or supplements containing high levels of biotin can provide false lab results of many elements we regularly test on TRT such as testosterone, estradiol, DHEA-s, LH, FSH, PSA and also the thyroid hormones...................

How Does Biotin Supplementation Impact Laboratory Results, and Influence Diagnosis and Treatment of Endocrine Disorders?

In assessing results of endocrine hormone levels, clinicians are cautioned to verify biotin supplementation to avoid false lab results, and a misdiagnosis of thyroid disorders.
Written by Tamara Khutorskoy MD and David Bleich MD

Our experts respond to a very timely concern about the evident interference of biotin in laboratory testings.

Biotin, also known as B7, or water-soluble vitamin H, is a cofactor in enzymatic carboxylation reactions of fatty acid and branched chain amino acid metabolism, gluconeogenesis, and the Kreb’s cycle. While the recommended daily intake of biotin is 30 mcg for adults, the average intake of this micronutrient in Western diets is about 35-70 mcg daily.

Approximately 15-20% of US adults take supraphysiologic doses of biotin-containing supplements for common hair and skin problems, weight loss, enhanced glucose metabolism, and to boost energy.Biotin also has pharmacologic indications for multiple sclerosis, malabsorption syndrome, dysregulation of mitochondrial energy metabolism, biotin-thiamin responsive basal ganglia disease, and genetic biotin deficiency. It is also used in alleviating muscle cramps in hemodialysis patients.

Ask your patient if they are taking a biotin supplement before drawing blood for lab testing.
Unfortunately, when consumed in high doses typically found in over the counter supplements, biotin interferes with the biotin-streptavidin system used in many immunoassays. The biotin-streptavidin complex is reliable for its strong non-covalent bond. The strong affinity of biotin to streptavidin makes it resistant to organic solvents, denaturants, detergents, proteolytic enzymes, as well as extremes of temperature and pH.

Impact of Biotin on Immunoassays
An excess biotin intake may adversely effect immunoassays in two different ways:
  • In competitive immunoassays, excessive biotin is likely to produce a falsely high result;
  • In immunometric, or sandwich assays, it may result in false low results.
For a list of common endocrine-related competitive and sandwich assays that may return inaccurate findings in the presence of biotin supplementation see Table 1.

Potential for Clinical Misdiagnosis
There are many erroneous biochemical diagnoses that may occur in patients taking high dosages of supplemental biotin.

Imagine, for example, a case in which lab results on a patient indicate elevated free thyroxine, elevated free triiodothyronine, elevated TSH receptor antibodies as well as a low TSH. A clinician would view this constellation of findings as indicative of possible Graves’ disease.

Alternatively, the same constellation of laboratory findings may be obtained for a euthyroid patient taking excessive biotin. Similarly, the laboratory findings for patients treated with testosterone replacement may show a false low or normal PSA levels in the presence of excess biotin supplementation.

Likewise, primary hyperparathyroidism would be difficult to diagnose in patients with hypercalcemia and falsely low PTH. It is of utmost importance to obtain a comprehensive history of biotin use when conducting an initial intake of all medications taken, and again before bloods are drawn to assess endocrine hormone levels to avoid the potential for misdiagnosing a patient without assurance that biotin is not a contributory factor to the results.

Need for More Assertive Interaction with Patients
Clinicians are cautioned to act decisively given the risk of inaccurate or missed diagnosis and in light of the urgency that prompted a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Safety Communication on this very topic.

The FDA recommends1 that clinicians take the following precautions:
  • Talk to your patients about any biotin supplements they may be taking, including supplements marketed for hair, skin, and nail growth
  • Be aware that many lab tests, including but not limited to cardiovascular diagnostic tests and hormone tests, that use biotin technology are potentially affected, and incorrect test results may be generated if there is biotin in the patient’s specimen
  • Communicate to the lab conducting the testing if your patient is taking biotin
  • If a lab test result doesn’t match the clinical presentation of your patient, consider biotin interference as a possible source of error
  • Know that biotin is found in multivitamins, including prenatal multivitamins, biotin supplements, and dietary supplements for hair, skin, and nail growth in levels that may interfere with lab tests
  • Report to the lab test manufacturer and the FDA if you become aware of a patient experiencing an adverse event following potentially incorrect laboratory test results due to biotin interference.
The FDA reports taking the following actions—working with stakeholders to better understand biotin interference with laboratory tests in order to develop recommendations for more accurate testing in patients who have taken high levels of biotin in advance of laboratory testing.

How Does Biotin Supplementation Impact Laboratory Results, and Influence Diagnosis and Treatment of Endocrine Disorders?

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
M

MarkM

If you supplement with biotin or a supplement containing biotin you can continue taking it just stop taking the supplement at least 48 hours prior to blood testing of endocrine hormones.

Vince

Super Moderator
If you supplement with biotin or a supplement containing biotin you can continue taking it just stop taking the supplement at least 48 hours prior to blood testing of endocrine hormones.
I know many members stop supplementing with biotin 48 hours before their labs but I just decided to stop it all together.

I think of a reason I stop supplementing with biotin, my mom and dad are both 85 and never supplemented with anything.

M

MarkM

I can now understand why they stop taking it prior to testing. This was news to me.

Amazing that we take all these supplements today when our parents and grandparents typically took nothing and will likely out live most of us. I'm sure part of that is because of the environment we live in today is so much more toxic than during their time.

Vince

Super Moderator
I can now understand why they stop taking it prior to testing. This was news to me.

Amazing that we take all these supplements today when our parents and grandparents typically took nothing and will likely out live most of us. I'm sure part of that is because of the environment we live in today is so much more toxic than during their time.
I can tell that my mom was a depression baby, she still clipped coupons and before she goes shopping she looks for all the sales. She's very frugal.

M

MarkM

I can tell that my mom was a depression baby, she still clipped coupons and before she goes shopping she looks for all the sales. She's very frugal.

That was one helluva generation......tough as nails.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me