How to get stronger....

Buy Lab Tests Online

BigTex

I don't talk much about powerlifting and strength much anymore since I retired from the sport 13 years ago. Later in my competitive career I was lucky enough to meat Dr. Fred Hatfield, who was also one of the legends in the sport of powerlifting. I talked to Hatfield frequently by email and phone and learned a lot about the more scientific end of the sport. It was Dr, Hatfield who taught be about Compensatory acceleration training or CAT. He said this is the type of training that will take you lifting from good to being the best.

Compensatory acceleration training involves trying to move a given weight as quickly as possible throughout the range of motion of a lift. Using the simple equation of force = mass x acceleration, we understand the faster we accelerate a given weight, the more force we can generate and put into a movement, thus we get stronger. This is accomplished by using CAT in lighter warm up weights and teaching the mind and muscle how to work explosively and generate maximal force through a lift. As we teach the mind and muscles how to maximally fire in light weight, we can eventually transfer this skill over to the heavy weight.

Dr Hatfield said: "If you’re applying a thousand pounds of force at the bottom of the lift and then as leverage improves you continue to apply a thousand pounds or less, you’re not accomplishing as much as you can. Instead, you’ll see that as leverage improves, you’re able to apply twelve hundred pounds of force, fourteen hundred pounds of force up near the top. The secret though is that you’re applying as much force as you possibly can exert all the way through the lift. That means you’re spending more time under maximum tension. That means you’re going to make progress much faster than you could otherwise, probably twice as fast."

For most people, generating enough force at the bottom is not as hard as it is when the bar travels upwards against gravity and tends to slow. At that pint you have to be able to generate even more force and move the bar through the sticking point to the top of the lift. So you have to take off like a rocket is attached and keep the generation of force going through the lift. So ask Dr, Hatfield said, if you have to generate 1000lbs for force at the bottom of a lift to get it moving, you must be able to generate 1200lbs and then 1400lbs as the bar move up to the top of the lift. This seems hard to do unless you practice it with light weight and train the body and mind to work together.

My total over the years went from 1690 to 2275 when I retired. I was always stuck with a 650lb squat and 650lb deadlift but after using CAT for a few years I quickly went to a 950 squat and 800lb deadlift putting me as ranked #1 as #2 in two different weight classes at the top of my career by Powerliifting USA. Not so bad by a tall skinny guy who looked like he was never going to make much in this sport.

This type of training and the idea behind it quickly lead to powerlifters using rubber bands and chains regularly in their training. A lot of these ideas were also combined with the training protocol of Westside Barbell.

There are several studies done investigating the use of CAT in athletes of all kinds.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BigTex

Great note Tex. How has your lifting routines changed as you've gotten older? Do you still practice CAT?
Oh, absolutely. I blew out all three quads and patella in my right knee in 2010 and pretty much changed everything. I completely retired from powerlifting and started to try to do more bodybuillding. In the last two years I completely changed again and just want to stay in shape. But yes, I still use CAT in all of my lifts out of habit. I do about a 2 second negative and explode to the top of the lift.

GreenMachineX

Haven't slept in a couple days so bare with me... the technique here is to just move the weight as fast as possible, explosively, during the concentric portion of the lift?

T

tareload

From a scientist's perspective, the concept of torque needs to be brought into the discussion to clarify the term "force" as used above. I have never squatted what BigTex has so he is the practical authority. But may be helpful to clarify and define terms without getting into trigonometry.

There are a lot of moving parts here both from a statics and dynamics standpoint. I'll try to add as I can if for no other reason than to learn myself.

This is a decent simple starting point to diagram the force balance...

BigTex

Haven't slept in a couple days so bare with me... the technique here is to just move the weight as fast as possible, explosively, during the concentric portion of the lift?
You have to train the mind and the muscles to explode as quickly as possible and use as much energy as you can even through the middle and to the top of the lift. This is very explosive lifting. This is why it is best trained using light weight. Yes the concentric portion.

“An increase in acceleration will increase muscle tension and the enhance training effect of any resistance exercise.”

– Mel Siff

Last edited:

BigTex

I have never used it. I have never been too big on the use of a lot of supplements in my training. Testosterone went a lot way.

The amino acid leucine possesses the most marked anabolic characteristics in acting as a trigger element for the initiation of protein synthesis. HMB is made when your body breaks down leucine. So my guess is that if you eat plenty of protein containing sources of leucine you will not need HMB. Whey protein is the best source of leucine.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me