How much protein?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jinzang

A new meta-analysis finds there is no additional benefit from protein supplementation in amounts greater than 1.6 g/kg/day. The often recommended gram per pound is excessive.

Dietary protein supplementation significantly enhanced changes in muscle strength and size during prolonged RET (resistance training) in healthy adults. Increasing age reduces and training experience increases the efficacy of protein supplementation during RET. With protein supplementation, protein intakes at amounts greater than ~1.6 g/kg/day do not further contribute RET-induced gains in FFM (fat free mass)

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Loki

A new meta-analysis finds there is no additional benefit from protein supplementation in amounts greater than 1.6 g/kg/day. The often recommended gram per pound is excessive.

It is certainly excessive... I have always been good at .4 times my desired body weight... Right now I am 230 and I am fine with 92 grams a day...

That really does little more than masquerade as an opinion piece, its hand-in-hand with the other side of the coin that states 1g/lb is a minimum...its all opinon. No one took a double blind peer reviewed study of two groups of guys and gave them 1.6g/lb or something less and then determined thru scientific testing that one group outperformed the other. These things try to use absurd numbers to push the outcome, which is pre-determined; less protein. Only a maniac (meant kindly) would be pushing 1.6g/lb of protein, the LARGEST strong man competitors, and even that's a "maybe" at those amounts.

Loki

That really does little more than masquerade as an opinion piece, its hand-in-hand with the other side of the coin that states 1g/lb is a minimum...its all opinon. No one took a double blind peer reviewed study of two groups of guys and gave them 1.6g/lb or something less and then determined thru scientific testing that one group outperformed the other. These things try to use absurd numbers to push the outcome, which is pre-determined; less protein. Only a maniac (meant kindly) would be pushing 1.6g/lb of protein, the LARGEST strong man competitors, and even that's a "maybe" at those amounts.

I believe there are good studies out on this and if I remember anything over .5 per lb of bodyweight was waste... Of course everybody is different and nothing is exact. I will try to locate it and share.

Any time people are selling something, question it... Basically everything at GNC :)....

Saul

Looking at this another way, the 1.6 g/kg/day of protein would put me at about 150 grams of protein per day. In today's world not that easy (seem like we are carb heavy today), but when I was growing up, we ate much more meat (like meat / eggs with every meal, jerky/nuts snacks). So for me I am about 6' 4" and 210 lbs right now. Assume I need 2500 calories per day. At 4 calories per gram of protein, I would get 600 calories from the protein out of my 2500 calories per day. That is about 25% of my calories from protein. That seems very reasonable. Throw in some carbs, veggies and oils for the other 75% and it seems balanced or at least not overloaded on protein. I have not ready any of the studies or care one way or the other, but 25% of my calories from protein seems reasonable for a balanced diet. I could see it range upward or downward but I like to look at in relation to my total food consumption

SoCal Guy

The full text of the study is online. It's a meta-analysis based on 49 studies with 1863 total participants. So it carries more weight than one study with 73 participants.
Actually, the reverse is far more likely.

Retraction Watch: We have an epidemic of deeply flawed meta-analyses, says John Ioannidis
https://retractionwatch.com/2016/09...ply-flawed-meta-analyses-says-john-ioannidis/

PubMed Link: The Mass Production of Redundant, Misleading, and Conflicted Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses

Currently, there is massive production of unnecessary, misleading, and conflicted systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Instead of promoting evidence-based medicine and health care, these instruments often serve mostly as easily produced publishable units or marketing tools. Suboptimal systematic reviews and meta-analyses can be harmful given the major prestige and influence these types of studies have acquired. The publication of systematic reviews and meta-analyses should be realigned to remove biases and vested interests and to integrate them better with the primary production of evidence.

CONCLUSIONS: The production of systematic reviews and meta-analyses has reached epidemic proportions. Possibly, the large majority of produced systematic reviews and meta-analyses are unnecessary, misleading, and/or conflicted.

Jinzang

Yes, there are many bad meta-analyses and I've read a few of them. There are also many poorly designed clinical trials. Many years ago in a former job we were asked to review the literature on the medical effects of blast for the Army. My boss, who was a perfectionist, found errors in every one of the papers, mislabeled graphs, mistakes in equations, and similar.

I'm no expert in statistics, but this study seems well done. If you have some criticism to make about how the study was done, I'd like to read it.

Gauge

It seems as though a large data point is being left out. Caloric expenditure.
If you're an endurance athete expending 2000-3000calories per day in the form of exercise, would 1g/lbs. Protein even be enough? Just some food for thought.

Why is everyone mixing pounds and kilograms units?
The article refers to kilogram
1 kilogram is equivalent to 2.2 pounds

Let’s please keep the units in mind
It’s confusing enough already

Cips1975

Yeah the whole 1 gram per lb of body weight that used to shoved in our faces from the bodybuilding mags is BS. Coincidence 1gram per lb ? Sounds like marketing. I am around 200lb and hardly ever get close to 200 grams. More like 100-120 average prob
For ever. No prob Building muscle.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching