How much protein do you need to maximize gains in muscle mass and strength ?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults

Morton RW, Murphy KT, McKellar SR, et al
British Journal of Sports Medicine 2018;52:376-384.

Abstract
Objective We performed a systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression to determine if dietary protein supplementation augments resistance exercise training (RET)-induced gains in muscle mass and strength.

Data sources A systematic search of Medline, Embase, CINAHL and SportDiscus.

Eligibility criteria Only randomized controlled trials with RET ≥6 weeks in duration and dietary protein supplementation.

Design Random-effects meta-analyses and meta-regressions with four a priori determined covariates. Two-phase break point analysis was used to determine the relationship between total protein intake and changes in fat-free mass (FFM).

Results Data from 49 studies with 1863 participants showed that dietary protein supplementation significantly (all p<0.05) increased changes (means (95% CI)) in: strength—one-repetition-maximum (2.49 kg (0.64, 4.33)), FFM (0.30 kg (0.09, 0.52)) and muscle size—muscle fibre cross-sectional area (CSA; 310 µm2 (51, 570)) and mid-femur CSA (7.2 mm2 (0.20, 14.30)) during periods of prolonged RET. The impact of protein supplementation on gains in FFM was reduced with increasing age (−0.01 kg (−0.02,–0.00), p=0.002) and was more effective in resistance-trained individuals (0.75 kg (0.09, 1.40), p=0.03). Protein supplementation beyond total protein intakes of 1.62 g/kg/day resulted in no further RET-induced gains in FFM.

Summary/conclusion Dietary protein supplementation significantly enhanced changes in muscle strength and size during prolonged RET in healthy adults. Increasing age reduces and training experience increases the efficacy of protein supplementation during RET. With protein supplementation, protein intakes at amounts greater than ~1.6 g/kg/day do not further contribute RET-induced gains in FFM.

Example:

1.6 grams times weight in kilos per day

170 pounds man= 77 Kilos

1.6 x 77= 123 grams per day

Protein Shake: one of the easiest way to reach that number. Two scoops a day=58 G

5–6 egg whites: does not matter what you do with the yolk. Each egg white contains around 6.25 G of protein. 5-6 egg whites will give you 30–38 G protein. This takes the total to around 95 G.

100 G chicken will have 27G protein. This takes us to around 120 G

Misc: The remaining can be had from your regular diet. Almost everything has small or large quantities of protein.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

JohnTaylorHK

Nelson que opinas sobre el consumo de proteina en polvo , se que es un tema muu controversial tu consumes , a mi en particular me es muy dificil llegar a la cantidad diaria sim tomar un batido.
(paralink) Nelson, what do you think about the consumption of protein powder? I know that it is a very controversial topic that you consume, it is very difficult for me in particular to reach the daily amount of drinking a shake.

There are several differences between drinking whey protein* (over and above the differences in protein types themselves). I often think that it is more important to get nutrition from real food than whatever processed options are available. *These are easy to research but include speed of absorption and exothermic metabolism increases due to actually eating food. Namaste.

(paralink) Existen varias diferencias entre beber proteína de suero * (más allá de las diferencias en los tipos de proteínas). A menudo pienso que es más importante obtener nutrición de alimentos reales que las opciones procesadas disponibles. * Estos son fáciles de investigar, pero incluyen la velocidad de absorción y el aumento del metabolismo exotérmico debido al consumo real de alimentos. Namaste

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me