How can one increase SHBG when it is too low?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Taking metformin with TRT may increase sex hormone binding globulin (and probably help with fat loss).

Effects of short term metformin administration on androgens in normal men.

Shegem NS, et al. Saudi Med J. 2002.
Show full citation

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To study the effect of metformin on androgens in normal men.
METHODS: A total of 12 healthy males volunteered to participate in the study. A blood sample was obtained from each of them and analyzed for the following: Testosterone (total and free), sex hormone binding globulin dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, luteinizing hormone, and follicle stimulating hormone. In addition, each participant was subjected to a glucose tolerance test and his insulin level was measured. Metformin 850 mg twice daily for 2-weeks was given to each subject after which the above tests were repeated. A paired t-test was used to assess the statistical significance of any observed differences before and after metformin.
RESULTS: After metformin administration, there was a significant reduction in serum level of total testosterone (p=0.0001), free testosterone (P=0.002), and 17 hydroxyprogesterone (p=0.0001). There was also a significant increase in serum level of sex hormone binding globulin (p=0.009) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (P=0.0008). Serum levels of luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone showed no significant changes. Similarly, there were no changes in fasting plasma glucose, fasting serum insulin, weight, or blood pressure.
CONCLUSION: Metformin administration was associated with a reduction in total testosterone, free testosterone, and 17-hydroxyprogesterone and an increase in sex hormone binding globulin and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate in normal males. The clinical significance of these findings needs further investigation.

where to buy metformin without a script

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Coastwatcher

Only one way to find out: Testing TT, FT, SHBG before and 4 weeks after.

Also, Metformin may lower B vitamin absorption, so it is important to supplement.

ERO

Great information as always Nelson!

I have been taking Metformin now for about a month so I am due to check my SHBG soon. Before Metformin my SHBG was 13 on a scale where 20-70 is normal. Over the last 4 years my SHBG has ranged from 7-14, so I am hopeful that Metformin helps.

ERO

He aromatizing so he has elevated E2 due to the higher levels of Free T.

Actually I have low E2 levels and have ever since I started TRT. Depending upon my T dosing, I typically need no AI at all, or a very, very small dose like 1/8 of a mg once a week.

ERO

Did the peptides improve your overall condition, did you feel any difference when using them ?

Also ERO did you test your SHBG with Metformin ?

I did test SHBG with Metformin. My SHBG level was 14 before, then I started taking 1000mg of Metformin ER (extended release) once daily for 4 weeks and tested again. Sadly, my SHBG is still at 14.

The thing is, most of the info points to diabetes or pre-diabetes as the cause of low SHBG, but I am neither - my blood glucose levels have always been well below both pre-diabetes or diabetes so I am not surprised that my SHBG did not increase. Oh and I am not dramatically overweight, either. I have been Bod-Pod tested at 20% body fat. That is higher than I want, but not way up in the obese or morbidly obese category that is often assumed with guys that have low SHBG.

hardrlz

I am in the same boat as well, i quit TRT as i didnt see any positive effects at all and now i am trying some unconventional methods for overall healing and rising my Testosterone and SHBG. I have tried T4 - levothyroxine as well, but it didnt help. The only thing that i havent tested is my growth hormone but i doubt thats where the problem stems from.

I am currently doing series of liver flushes and eating mostly unprocessed healing foods, my theory is that my low SHBG is connected with the liver, i have done around 17 liver flushes and i am still getting out lots of stones which tells me that its extremely clogged, so its possible that these stones and toxins interfere with the normal SHBG production and maybe other hormones as well. I am also incorporating natural probiotics like kefir and kombucha with the goal of healing a possible leaky gut, which if present is overburdening the liver, and maintaining strong immune system as well.

It would be great if someone with low SHBG could share his thoughts on whether they felt difference by using GH stimulating peptides.

It would be great if someone with low SHBG could share his thoughts on whether they felt difference by using GH stimulating peptides.

I used GH stimulating peptides.

They don't work. SHBG is the same after 2x daily dosing of 100 mcg ipamorelin and mod GRF-129. My source is that ultra-reputable one that everyone knows about.

I see people raving about great sleep and 10 years coming off of their face. Bullshit and bullshit.

The only thing that happened was on paper -- my IGF-1 went up to 247. No big deal.

I've spoken to between 30-40 men with low SHBG that get zero results from testosterone. I've spoken to 3 that have low SHBG and do have sexual function. They seem to use very high doses of testosterone, and none of them were actually born with the SHBG deficiency. It's from the high T dose itself. Myself, I've stepped up to 200 mg/per week. Mood is up, but sexual function is still wonky.

The other issue is... with FT = 50ng/dl @ 5.21% of TT, I cannot ****ing sleep! ("**Results verified by repeat testing**", Nelson. :p)

They don't work. SHBG is the same after 2x daily dosing of 100 mcg ipamorelin and mod GRF-129. My source is that ultra-reputable one that everyone knows about.

I see people raving about great sleep and 10 years coming off of their face. Bullshit and bullshit.

The only thing that happened was on paper -- my IGF-1 went up to 247. No big deal.

I've spoken to between 30-40 men with low SHBG that get zero results from testosterone. I've spoken to 3 that have low SHBG and do have sexual function. They seem to use very high doses of testosterone. Myself, I've stepped up to 200 mg/per week. Mood is up, but sexual function is still wonky.

I'm going to contradict everything you just said.

I get fantastic results, high TCyp dosages frequently, EOD. My peak and trough vary wildly, from 814 to over 1450 within 24/48 hrs. I'm not fantastic or optimal but low SHBG isn't anything to be negative about, I've tested at 12 recently. I use 50mg EOD. I have also been on Mod Grf 1 plus GHRP 2 for about three weeks.

Unequivaocally, I am bigger, stronger, and heavier than I've ever been. My well being is 10x better than being low-T. I'm leaning out with the peptide and becoming more vascular. Serious lifter in the gym is an obvious player for me, but your blanket statement that low SHBG men get zero results is pure BS.

The real problem I've found with low SHBG is it's even tougher to manage E2. The ratio is the best method than a simple sensitive test result. High levels of Free T, obvious with low SHBG, equals high Estrogen, too. I am becoming a believer in the ratio and that's going to be higher than the Sensitive tests that everyone is following. Too much AI's, too low E2 for some many men complaining of poor results, or specifically, continued low libido and/or ED.

I take great exception to what you think is the truth.

I use 29g 1/2" in the thigh. Shallow IM...? maybe. I don't pay attention to subQ or IM to be honest. I couldn't shoot TCyp in my belly though, too many site reactions, terribly uncomfortable.

ERO

I've spoken to between 30-40 men with low SHBG that get zero results from testosterone. I've spoken to 3 that have low SHBG and do have sexual function. They seem to use very high doses of testosterone, and none of them were actually born with the SHBG deficiency. It's from the high T dose itself. Myself, I've stepped up to 200 mg/per week. Mood is up, but sexual function is still wonky.

The other issue is... with FT = 50ng/dl @ 5.21% of TT, I cannot ****ing sleep! ("**Results verified by repeat testing**", Nelson. :p)

I have used GH stimulating peptides and I have have had zero results as well. In fact, 2 years ago I even used actual doctor prescribed GH for 6 months and all I did was waste a ton of money on it.

If you've had zero results how did you use it? Did you ever had an IGF-1 test to see if your pituitary is making GH on it's own? In my research on the peptides I use, I noted it was very important to time it around carbohydrate intake.

ERO

I took 2 IUs a day,5 days a week with weekends off. Always taken on an empty stomach upon awakening in the morning before I hit the gym so I did not eat anything until around 2 hours after dosing.

IGF-1 levels rose on paper, but in retrospect I wish I had the money that I spent on that back as it made no difference whatsoever.

Im on a similar boat with HCG, so many love it and have this feeling of well being on it and I've never had a tangible benefit to it outside the fact that my balls are not shriveled up and dead. So much of everything in this area is subjective and felt out through trial and error on an individual basis.

Vince,

Did you actually start out with low SHBG? Specifically, did you have low T and low SHBG where the low SHBG persisted when your T became normal [(600 - 900ng/dl) with low SHBG (< 20 pg/mL)?]

Or, did you develop your low SHBG as a symptom of your 150-200mg/wk T dosing?

These are two very different things.

I currently take 100 mg E3D, which is roughly equivalent to your own weekly dose.

Certainly, there are varying experiences with low levels of SHBG. One reason is that certain men produce a variant of SHBG with approximately twice the binding affinity. However, if you look around, you will find a ratio of about 10:1 bad:good experiences with low SHBG, and the "good" experiences are almost universally people who notice low SHBG after very high T doses, NOT people who were actually born without the ability for SHBG to adjust itself in relation to hormones (like ERO and I.)

I'm going to guess that you feel good because your body adjusted SHBG in relation to your TRT, versus our predicament: having no ability for the liver to respond to hormones -- a frozen low output.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me