High SBHG, diet and low libido.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Joe1205

I tested for low T at the beginning of the year. TT was 425 and FT was low at 6.3 (range 6.8-21.5). I did a full hormone panel in May before going on TRT and everything came back normal except my SBHG was high 95 (range 16.5-55). This was the first time I ever tested SBHG. I started treatment in May. My current therapy is 200mg of cyp per week. At 200mg per week my energy and mood are great but I have very low libido. I can perform sexually but just dont feel like having sex. I retested my test/SBHG after 8 weeks of treatment and my TT was 1387 and SBHG was 110 which I think is extremely high. That puts my FT at 1.02%. Most males try to keep there FT in the 2%-3% range. Without my Dr's knowledge I raised the dose to 300mg. They do not want to prescribe 300mgs per week since I am at the top of the range. They do not consider SBHG to be a significant factor so I decided to experiment on myself. At 300mg per week libido is better and energy/mood are great. I moved my dosage back down to 200 and my libido is gone. I am currently taking Boron/Stinging Net to reduce SBHG but its not helping.

I recently read an article that SBHG can increase in certain individuals when on a Ketogenic diet which I have been on for 5 months. The article suggested that to lower SBHG I should increase carb intake and spike insulin after workouts. I started that diet today to see if it helps but every book/article I have read about high SBHG states there is not much that can be done to lower it. I am concerned about the long term effects of taking 300mgs per week but I think it may be fine long term as long as I monitor my blood work. I am 41 years old, workout 6 days per week, my diet is good and I am not overweight.

My questions are as follows:
  1. Has anyone reduced SBHG by increasing carbs or spiking insulin or any other way?
  2. Is there something else I should try to reduce SBHG like maybe Sermorelin?
  3. Anyone else have similar issues and are on high doses of injectable test per week? If so, have you had any problems?
  4. Is 300mgs per week safe long term if I monitor my blood work?
Thank you for the feedback.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

SHBG is made in the liver and there's little you can do about it expect play it where it is by adjusting your TRT protocol to compensate. You will need supraphysiological doses of testosterone to get enough free testosterone, something an insurance doctor won't be able to do for you.

The moment your total testosterone goes over the reference ranges, doctors will freak out and lower your dosage. Free testosterone is what matters, in reality if you scored 2500 total testosterone and had the same free testosterone as a man in the high normal ranges say 850, you would be at no greater risk then he.

Total testosterone is in a bound state and biounavailable and in your case should be ignored, free testosterone is your only concern since it's the free portion of the hormone that does all the magic. I've seen countless men beat their heads against a wall trying to lower SHBG with a magical elixir, don't waste your time.

Stop alcohol intake and things that raise SHBG, adjust your TRT protocol. I would concern myself with the long term effects of low free testosterone, heart disease, dementia, alzheimer's and cardiovascular disease.

If you need referrals for doctors that know what needs to be done and won't freak out at supraphysiological doses of testosterone, I can recommend Defy medical who offers telemedicine where I'm a patient.

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
effect of diet on testosterone shbg and free testosterone.jpg

This table shows the effect of different diets on testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin, and free testosterone. NS means non-significant effect due to sample size. It is very difficult, as you can see, to modify these parameters with diet.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me