High-dose biotin supplement can interfere with common laboratory tests

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
This case illustrates serious interference with some thyroid immunoassay tests by high-dose biotin ingestion resulting in the false diagnosis of severe thyrotoxicosis. Excess biotin can cause misleading test results — low creatine phosphokinase in acute coronary syndrome, negative human chorionic gonadotropin in ectopic pregnancy, low adrenocorticotropic hormone and high cortisol in Addison’s crisis, low TSH and high free thyroxine in myxedema coma — profoundly affecting medical decision making. In this case, incongruity of normal total T4 with elevated free T4 and free triiodothyronine suggested a laboratory artifact sparing further consumption of health care resources.

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology..._medium=email&utm_campaign=endocrinology news

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

FrankUnderwood

i currently supplement with 10,000 mcg of biotin daily (single capsule).

should i cease this supplementation?

This case illustrates serious interference with some thyroid immunoassay tests by high-dose biotin ingestion resulting in the false diagnosis of severe thyrotoxicosis. Excess biotin can cause misleading test results — low creatine phosphokinase in acute coronary syndrome, negative human chorionic gonadotropin in ectopic pregnancy, low adrenocorticotropic hormone and high cortisol in Addison's crisis, low TSH and high free thyroxine in myxedema coma — profoundly affecting medical decision making. In this case, incongruity of normal total T4 with elevated free T4 and free triiodothyronine suggested a laboratory artifact sparing further consumption of health care resources.

http://www.healio.com/endocrinology..._medium=email&utm_campaign=endocrinology news

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Frank

I would not. This article reports that TSH not done by liquid chromatography may have an interference. We really don't know what happens to testosterone. Have you seen a change in your numbers since you started biotin?

FrankUnderwood

not really, but ill know shortly. actually had a blood draw today for test/e2 and all thyroid tests. struggling with losing weight even when in a caloric deficit, hoping its not a thyroid issue.

Frank

I would not. This article reports that TSH not done by liquid chromatography may have an interference. We really don't know what happens to testosterone. Have you seen a change in your numbers since you started biotin?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me