High cheese consumption boosted my HDL

Buy Lab Tests Online

sammmy

This is for the people that want to increase their HDL.

I am not on TRT and my usual HDL is around 60 mg/dL.

About 1.5months ago, I started a diet with a high cheese consumption: 8 oz cheese daily = about 900 calories, out of about 2000 total daily calories (my diet is mainly cheese, rice, bread, vegetables). I started it because I needed a concentrated calorie source, other than sugar (I react to sugar). I typically eat Provolone or Muenster cheese.

Below is the surprising cheese effect on my lipid panel:

No cheese

High cheese

Normal range

HDL

> 59 mg/dL

LDL, calc.

< 100 mg/dL

Total Chol.

< 200 mg/dL

Triglycerides

< 100 mg/dL

I was also on different HIV drugs, but I do not believe they effect HDL that much. My typical HDL is about 60 mg/dL and the highest it's ever been before the high cheese diet was 69 mg/dL, on multitude of HIV drugs.

It looks like the high cheese consumption:
  • boosted my HDL by 20 mg/dL which is a 30% boost
  • did not affect my LDL
  • decreased my triglycerides by 30 mg/dL, a 30% decrease - perhaps because the cheese diet has more fat in it and less carbs for the same calories.
I was also surprised that cheese is about 25% protein by weight, which is quite high. Chicken breast is about 50% protein by weight.

I found an inconclusive confirmation online that cheese may increase HDL:

Does eating cheese cause high cholesterol?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Belekas

nobody
Very interesting results. I might try doing that as well. My HDL has always been very low even though I have been eating healthy and balanced for nearly 2 decades. Tried adding lots of healthy fats, etc ,etc, nothing helped. Pretty much never budged and still decreased year by year by a bit. I have serious case of H Pylori for which I have taken 2nd round of antibiotics and bunch of other stuff so hopefully I'll be able to treat it and my HDL rises some, as I've read that severe cases of H Pylori decreases HDL. Healthy lifestyle, working out, no bad habits (atm), great shape for a long time and still It doesn't want to go up. My abuse of alcohol and drugs when growing up might have added to this I believe but I'm not sure and I'm still looking for answers. What would be the steps you'd take to try and find the cause perhaps and increase it? Thanks for posting. Always interesting to read your posts.

Regards,
Bel

sammmy

Eradication of H. Pylori increases HDL by 5 mg/dL. This may be "statistically significant" but is not a large effect. However it will decrease drastically other cardiovascular risk factors like C-reactive protein (which is a measure for body inflammation):

I am not sure what your current regimen is but high doses exogenous T (or longer duration of TRT) or other androgenic compounds can decrease HDL.

For example:

Last edited:

Belekas

nobody
Eradication of H. Pylori increases HDL by 5 mg/dL. This may be "statistically significant" but is not a large effect. However it will decrease drastically other cardiovascular risk factors like C-reactive protein (which is a measure for body inflammation):

I am not sure what your current regimen is but high doses exogenous T (or longer duration of TRT) or other androgenic compounds can decrease HDL.

For example:

Right, 5p is def not the effect I'm looking for. Thanks for the links, will read 'em. I'm posting a few links to my thread where I have my lab results and short summary what I'm currently doing, if you want to take a quick look.

First one I did back in end of January as my first blood test since starting TRT outside of the UK and second was done December last year I think by NHS. I've trained hard and been focused on building my physique up since 2006 till 2019 when I was diagnosed with Hep-C. Was on TRT before that 250mg/week for like 3 years. Came off 2019, did a proper PCT, recovered then cured Hep-C. Was natural and just trying to get healthier for 3 years and just recently 5 months or so ago decided to give TRT another go but just smaller 100mg/week dose as had some symptoms and bottom range cFT FWIW. So even after those 3 years trying to be as healthy as possible I wasn't able to increase my HDL as it seems and now when I had it checked I see it has also decreased a bit since all my readings in the last 10 years or so. Regarding using AAS most of the time I used test 250mg/week for a good 12-16 weeks per year with sometimes adding 1ml of Deca together for a cycle. That was it from injectables and their dosages. Also before every cycle I did a round of Russian Methandrostenolone to set me up, as per our oldschool exCCCR school of thought, even though I knew it was toxic to the liver but only for a short time like a month or so. That was pretty much it AAS wise. And still I have my old blood tests since 2010 for example and I see my HDL being low as well. So basically couldn't increase it in any way dietery possible. Not even talking about working out, doing cardio, etc, etc religeously af. I'd love to get to the root of this but over the years I haven't gotten closer and what the issue might be and what next step I have to take so just trying to live as healthy as possible and tick all the boxes where I can. Doctors never ever mentioned it and thought it was an issue but I don't believe them either so I'm always working on myself and my family where/if I can.

Sorry for a long post.

Regards,
Bel

sammmy

Do you have data what was your HDL before any TRT or AAS and maybe before Hep-C?

For better digestion, of course eradication of H Pillory is a priority but after that you can do a stool test for elastase (marker of pancreatic digestive enzymes) and IgA (marker of intestinal immunity). These can get low if the intestinal mucosa is damaged, in which case you can supplement with digestive enzymes, either prescribed or OTC. I use AbsorbAid.

Belekas

nobody
I started training, eating properly around 2006 so I it be cool to have cholesterol data before that but as I was young in my early 20s docs never bothered doing that I believe as I always was a fit and very active kid FWIW. I have asked and will see if we find any but I seriously doubt it, sadly. But also started drinking, smoking and taking some drugs since I was 13 years old leading to a year+- before 2006 when I managed to quit and decided to turn my life around and started training. So maybe that has impacted my liver and cholesterol production as well?

sammmy

When was your first use of T and AAS and do you have an HDL value before that?

Regarding digestion issues, you should do a comprehensive and sensitive stool test, looking for pathogenic bacteria, parasites and other abnormalities. I suggest GI - MAP.

Belekas

nobody
When was your first use of T and AAS and do you have an HDL value before that?

Regarding digestion issues, you should do a comprehensive and sensitive stool test, looking for pathogenic bacteria, parasites and other abnormalities. I suggest GI - MAP.
First use of T was around 2 years into my training if I remember correct so around 2008 and no HDL values leading into that, sadly. My digestive issues have been worked on, did endoscopy and found severe form of H pylori. Just finished my 2nd round of meds and now taking natural stuff to help the healing process. Doc said he thought with my type of pains there will be serious isues but was amazed that he couldn't put his finger on anything just stomach irritation from H pylori FWIW. Healthy lifestyle, diet and training really helped there. Have ditched Omeprazole and now taking Betaine HCL with every mean and Mastic Gum and Probiotics 60mins before breakfast daily and I feel 90% better then on the Omeprazole, which reduces stomach acidity and H pylori thrives in low acid environment FWIW. Will do Ectoscopy next time I'm back home to rule out other issues. What kind of GI - MAP yuo would advice as I'm UK based. I think my GP ran some stool tests but I can't remember correct and still that probaby won't be as good and comprehensive as the GI - MAP.

Belekas

nobody
Many sites in UK offer GI - MAP. It is the same standard test. Just shop for the best price.

For example:

Sample report:
Understood. Not a cheap one but in UK all the labs/tests are usually very pricey compared to where I'm from. Def worth investing and checking it out. Thank you.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me