Hemoglobin A1C Why is this tested?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Blackhawk

I just got my labs back, my A-1 C was 5.3 and my fasting glucose was 81. Not bad. My doctor said I should have the glucose tolerance test. I find it interesting you just posted that, just as I am researching it.

Your markers are really good, not sure that's necessary. If you do want GTT, you might want to read the "OGTT / Post-Meal Blood Sugars" section here:

and:

I ordered a glucose monitor to do DIY and will run fasting and postprandial tests on myself, and calibrate the device's readings with glucose levels from CMPs which I do on a regular basis. It'll be an interesting study I think.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

MarcoFL

It was an A1c test that indicated I was on the path to type-2 diabetes - registered in a 5.9. I altered my diet - eliminated sugar as much as possible and significantly cut carbs. Eating fresh fruits/vegetables, grass fed beef, everything all organic. Basically taking on the caveman diet. Added Berberine 2x per day to the supplements (works just as good as Metformin). A1c now down to a very comfortable 5.0. I have my doc add A1c every time I have blood work performed (once every 6 months) so we can keep an eye on it. For what little the test costs it brings piece of mind...for me.

Standard disclaimers apply: Your mileage may vary, some assembly required, batteries not included, no warranties expressed or implied, etc.
Perfect example of taking control of your health! Well done VM!

Vince

Super Moderator
Your markers are really good, not sure that's necessary. If you do want GTT, you might want to read the "OGTT / Post-Meal Blood Sugars" section here:

and:

I ordered a glucose monitor to do DIY and will run fasting and postprandial tests on myself, and calibrate the device's readings with glucose levels from CMPs which I do on a regular basis. It'll be an interesting study I think.
My insulin was 2.2 range 3.00-25.00 mU/L
Glycomark 5.24 range 7.5-28.4 ug/mL

Vince

Super Moderator
OK, I was just going on the fasting glucose and a1c you posted. My bad.

Odd that Glycomark website shows different information about range than your result.
It may be that my pancreas is working great or it could mean just the opposite. The only way to know is by the two hour glucose tolerance test.

Blackhawk

It may be that my pancreas is working great or it could mean just the opposite. The only way to know is by the two hour glucose tolerance test.

Well, with your generally stunningly good health, I expect and hope for the former: pancreas working great!

dnfuss

low 90s is a good fasting glucose level.
Fasting blood sugar in the truly euglycemic adult is typically low-to-mid-80s mg/dl (children and teenagers are often in the high 60s to 70s). Unexplained fasting blood sugars consistently over 92 mg/dl over an extended period are associated with the early phase of pre-diabetes.

wondering

sou
Fasting blood sugar in the truly euglycemic adult is typically low-to-mid-80s mg/dl (children and teenagers are often in the high 60s to 70s). Unexplained fasting blood sugars consistently over 92 mg/dl over an extended period are associated with the early phase of pre-diabetes.

Source?

dnfuss

sou

Source?
See, e.g., this summary and "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Richard Bernstein (a fantastic reference from in my estimation the leading diabetologist of the last half century). There's an exception to every rule, but, for the most part, adults who are going to remain euglycemic generally experience fasting blood glucose levels in the low-to-mid-80s mg/dl. Consistent fasting blood sugars in the mid-90s mg/dl (and higher) are very often accompanied by post-prandial blood sugar spikes. This is a pattern frequently seen in the early stages of pre-diabetes.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me