Hemoglobin A1C Why is this tested?

Buy Lab Tests Online
For my first and second blood test I had Hemoglobin A1C. Each time I'm at 5.1% which is in range of 4.8-5.6%.

Hemoglobin A1C is within my next followup blood test.

I forgot to ask. Why does this continue to be tested? I don't see it discussed much. I'd like to save a few dollars if it is not that important.

Especially as my other blood work is fine too. I have no diabetes in the family. Why is this on the list of blood work?

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

MarcoFL

This gives you a glimpse of what your glucose average runs for a 90 day period. 5.1% is good and it is important to keep eye on it. I believe glucose control is one of the most important things to control for longevity.

MarcoFL

I do not include A1c in TRT follow up panels. Unless you have diabetes issues, a cheap CMP will do.
I am trying to keep food on your table Nelson with more tests : ) I recently went more toward carnivore so I am a little obsessed with all this glucose per my wife right now. I am amazed how it rarely goes over 90 now anytime of day!

For my first and second blood test I had Hemoglobin A1C. Each time I'm at 5.1% which is in range of 4.8-5.6%.

Hemoglobin A1C is within my next followup blood test.

I forgot to ask. Why does this continue to be tested? I don't see it discussed much. I'd like to save a few dollars if it is not that important.

Especially as my other blood work is fine too. I have no diabetes in the family. Why is this on the list of blood work?

You can actually use A1C to figure out your Estimated Average Glucose (eAG) over the past 3 months. Pretty cool actually.

The formula is:

28.7 x HbA1c — 46.7 = eAG (in mg/dl)

I had a patient in the ICU one time with an A1C of 16.

That means they were walking around with a blood sugar of over 400 for the past 3 months. Yikes!

Vince

Super Moderator
Get a baseline A1C test if you're an adult over age 45—or if you're under 45, are overweight, and have one or more risk factors for prediabetes or type 2 diabetes: If your result is normal but you're over 45, have risk factors, or have ever had gestational diabetes, repeat the A1C test every 3 years.

CDC Works 24/7
managing › a...
All About Your A1C - CDC

MarcoFL

You can actually use A1C to figure out your Estimated Average Glucose (eAG) over the past 3 months. Pretty cool actually.

The formula is:

28.7 x HbA1c — 46.7 = eAG (in mg/dl)

I had a patient in the ICU one time with an A1C of 16.

That means they were walking around with a blood sugar of over 400 for the past 3 months. Yikes!
very interesting! thank you for posting this!

Blackhawk

I have noticed a general increase in glucose levels. I'm having a little hard time sorting out whether or not to get a1c tested.I have a lot of moving parts: leukemia caused anemia, had multiple blood transfusions up until April 6. So, almost at 3 months since then, and probably most RBCs are from my own production, not transfused, but hard to know for sure. I remain somewhat anemic, but no longer transfusion dependent.

Whereas prior to this onset of Leukemia, my fasting glucose was consistently in the 80s, I have had dozens of CMPs and BMPs and fasting glucose seems to be more in the low 90's.

What fasting and non fasting blood glucose levels would be a warning to get a1c tested?

wondering

I have noticed a general increase in glucose levels. I'm having a little hard time sorting out whether or not to get a1c tested.I have a lot of moving parts: leukemia caused anemia, had multiple blood transfusions up until April 6. So, almost at 3 months since then, and probably most RBCs are from my own production, not transfused, but hard to know for sure. I remain somewhat anemic, but no longer transfusion dependent.

Whereas prior to this onset of Leukemia, my fasting glucose was consistently in the 80s, I have had dozens of CMPs and BMPs and fasting glucose seems to be more in the low 90's.

What fasting and non fasting blood glucose levels would be a warning to get a1c tested?

low 90s is a good fasting glucose level.

Blackhawk

low 90s is a good fasting glucose level.

Thanks, i was under the impression that Mid 80's is where it's at.

And regarding the comments about general health, if directed at me, please know you are preaching to the converted... as of around 4 decades ago, and blood sugar has never been a potential issue until this cancer.

Also, I went ahead and had a1c pulled, but i also found references mentioning that anemia alters results, so the test may not mean much:
Falsely Lowered A1C and Falsely Elevated A1C

Anemia and Hemoglobin A1c level: Is there a case for redefining reference ranges and therapeutic goals? | British Journal of Medical Practitioners

And I found this which seems to have some pretty good, though perhaps not fantasic references: What Is a Normal Blood Sugar

Last edited:

VacationMan

It was an A1c test that indicated I was on the path to type-2 diabetes - registered in a 5.9. I altered my diet - eliminated sugar as much as possible and significantly cut carbs. Eating fresh fruits/vegetables, grass fed beef, everything all organic. Basically taking on the caveman diet. Added Berberine 2x per day to the supplements (works just as good as Metformin). A1c now down to a very comfortable 5.0. I have my doc add A1c every time I have blood work performed (once every 6 months) so we can keep an eye on it. For what little the test costs it brings piece of mind...for me.

Standard disclaimers apply: Your mileage may vary, some assembly required, batteries not included, no warranties expressed or implied, etc.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me