Heart Rate Variability

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

MarcoFL

I have for last two years. Things that impact it are eating late or alcohol. Mine runs abut 20 at night but last night I ate early and it was 27 with a max of 50. I do like the Oura ring to monitor impact of supplements and food-alcohol impact on sleep. My main problem is we are out 7 nights a week eating and drinking. My wife and I are both 60 and pretty decent shape, we do not want to give up even though we know it does not help. I found things like Magnesium Theronate can impact my numbers and sleep. You can learn a lot with Oura!

BigTex

Same here, I have been monitoring mine with my FitBit Charge 5. I usually average between 60 and 57.

Interesting research being done on HRV:

Assessment of physiological signs associated with COVID-19 measured using wearable
devices

Aravind Natarajan, Hao-Wei Su, and Conor Heneghan
Fitbit Research, 199 Fremont St, Floor 14, San Francisco, CA 94105
(Dated: August 14, 2020)

Respiration rate, heart rate, and heart rate variability are some health metrics that are easily measured by consumer devices and which can potentially provide early signs of illness. Furthermore, mobile applications which accompany wearable devices can be used to collect relevant self-reported symptoms and demographic data. This makes consumer devices a valuable tool in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. We considered two approaches to assessing COVID-19 - a symptom-based approach, and a physiological signs based technique. Firstly, we trained a Logistic Regression classier to predict the need for hospitalization of COVID-19 patients given the symptoms experienced, age, sex, and BMI. Secondly, we trained a neural network classier to predict whether a person is sick on any specific day given respiration rate, heart rate, and heart rate variability data for that day and and for the four preceding days. Data on 1,181 subjects diagnosed with COVID-19 (active infection, PCR test) were collected from May 21 - July 14, 2020. 11.0% of COVID-19 subjects were
asymptomatic, 47.2% of subjects recovered at home by themselves, 33.2% recovered at home with the help of someone else, 8.16% of subjects required hospitalization without ventilation support, and 0.448% required ventilation. Fever was present in 54.8% of subjects. Based on self-reported symptoms alone, we obtained an AUC of 0.77 0.05 for the prediction of the need for hospitalization. Based on physiological signs, we obtained an AUC of 0.77 0.03 for the prediction of illness on a specific day with 4 previous days of history. Respiration rate and heart rate are typically elevated by illness, while heart rate variability is decreased. Measuring these metrics can help in early diagnosis, and in monitoring the progress of the disease.

More good information

Attachments

• Assessment of physiological signs associated with COVID-19 measured using wearable devices.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Same here, I have been monitoring mine with my FitBit Charge 5. I usually average between 60 and 57.
Thanks for sharing. That COVID data is very interesting!

I have been resisting buying an Apple watch for years, but after seeing some reviews on their latest software upgrades for health data including HRV, I bought myself one for my birthday :)

MarcoFL

Thanks for sharing. That COVID data is very interesting!

I have been resisting buying an Apple watch for years, but after seeing some reviews on their latest software upgrades for health data including HRV, I bought myself one for my birthday :)

The way I found I had Covid 2 plus years ago was my resting heart rate and body temp increased! I do find it helps you to understand what is going on with your body.

BigTex

I have been watching my HRV closely now. i had 5 days at 60-100 and last night I hit 140. Still having trouble understand exactly what all influences this. I slept like crap last night, killed my self at the gym yesterday and then wore myself out at the grocery store.

Guided_by_Voices

Just as one data point, Ben Greenfield said on one of his podcasts that the one thing he noticed that was an outlier for negatively affecting HRV are heavy barbell moves (e.g. squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans). I expect a lot would rely on whether one does multiple sets (or any sets) to failure and how often one trains. I seem to sleep better since I stopped going to failure.

BigTex

Seems like my HVR goes up on days I train. I am usually in the gym Mon-Fri, one body part/d for about 1 hour. I don't squat, deadlift or do any Oly lifts any more but I always do about 20 sets per body part, rarely to failure. So I put in on an average 300 minutes of vigorous activity ever week. With my age, my max HR is 154bpm and I usually hit 147- 152bpm when I train and average about 120bpm. 77% to 93% is considered to be high-intensity workouts so I usually train in the 94 -98% range and the rest periods account for the 77% average. So resting or working combined I am definitely training very intensely.

My rest periods are 1 minute between sets and 2 minutes on the heaviest set (#5) all for 12 reps. So this past Monday I trained and Tuesday I had to take off and my HVR dropped from 140 to 80. Saturday and Sunday when I was not training my HVR 67 and 47 respectively. So it appears maybe not training may cause mine to drop. Interesting stuff though. My resting HR is usually around 52, sometimes at night I hit 45-47.

The study’s results showed that sleep duration and HRV had no significant relationship. However, high sleep onset latency (the time it takes one to fall asleep), poor sleep quality, and sleep medication use was associated with a higher heart rate. Unfortunately looking at my records I don't see sleep quality or HR showing an significance. However, when I take gabapentin Friday and Saturday night my sleep quality is great. But my HR stays consistent. Most of the time when I go to bed I fall asleep in 2-3 minutes.

Similarly, sleep disorders that affect your sleep efficiency also impact your HRV. Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is associated with lower HRV. I have OSA, but I use a CPAP and sleep like a baby now. Over all, a high HRV score is tied to good overall heart health. I'll make sure I pass this on to my cardiologist next visit. I'm not sure he is aware of this.

I am guessing since this is more tied to the parasympathetic nervous system, those who are over training, stressed out and have anxiety may have worse HVR scores and eventually a higher percent of health issue. I do know that being over trained lowers HVR as well as shows signs of stress, sickness and poor recovery from workouts. Of course poor nutritional status could effect all of these as well which I suspect would effect HVR. With athletes this could be a very useful tool to find out when an athletes needs to reduce the training load and increase rest and possible calories/macros. We use to do this with resting HR but I think that may be much more accurate.

BigTex

More on what exactly high and low HVR really mean to our health

A high HRV—meaning a wider variation of time intervals between heartbeats—indicates the body is responsive to both the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems, able to gear up into fight-or-flight mode AND to slow down into rest and digest, as needed.​
A low HRV—shorter variation of time intervals between heartbeats–illustrates a lack of adaptivity between fight or flight and rest and digest, and is an indication of imbalance in the ANS, and is a likely indication that our fight or flight system is running in overdrive and over-dominant.​
The resilience, flexibility and balance of our autonomic nervous system is critical to our mental and physical health. Imbalance and dysfunction between the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems is associated with inflammation, chronic stress, and chronic disease, including cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, as well as depression and other mental health conditions. Low HRV scores can indicate elevated risks for heart attack and stroke, and are frequently present in people with depression and anxiety disorders.​
Chronic dominance of the sympathetic nervous system—a body “stuck” in flight or fight mode—is also linked to sleep problems and sleep disorders, including insomnia and obstructive sleep apnea.
This is all so very interesting to me and thanks @Nelson Vergel for bringing this topic up. While no one has looked into this, nutrition surely plays a important part in HVR.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
From ChatGPT:

Heart rate variability (HRV) is typically measured using an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) machine, which provides a graph of a person's heartbeat by measuring the electrical signals in the heart that cause it to beat [2, 4]. However, there are also several wearable devices on the market that can monitor HRV, such as chest strap sensors, wrist devices, and phone apps [1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9].

When it comes to the best devices to monitor HRV, there are several options available depending on an individual's needs and preferences. Some popular HRV monitors include:

• Polar H10 Heart Rate Sensor: This chest strap sensor is compatible with both Bluetooth Smart and Ant+ and provides up to 400 hours of battery life [3].
  • Hanu Health: This wearable device is designed to track HRV and provides personalized biofeedback to help users manage stress and improve performance [6].
  • HeartMath InnerBalance: This device is a biofeedback tool that can be used with a smartphone app to monitor HRV and improve emotional and physical well-being [6].
  • Biostrap HRM: This fitness tracker is designed to monitor HRV, sleep quality, and physical activity, and provides personalized insights to help users optimize their health and performance [6].
  • Whoop: This wearable device tracks HRV, sleep, and physical activity, and provides personalized insights to help users improve their fitness and recovery [8].
It's worth noting that the accuracy of HRV monitoring devices is still under scrutiny, and chest strap monitors tend to provide a more accurate measure of HRV than wrist devices [7]. Additionally, the ideal choice of device will depend on an individual's lifestyle and budget.

References:

[1] "Heart rate variability (HRV) is a metric used to determine our bodies readiness and adaptability under stress, by measuring the amount of time between heartbeats—and understanding this metric might just be the key to enhanced exercise performance, better sleep, less stress 1, and a longer, more resilient life." URL: The 6 Best HRV Monitors Of 2023 To Optimize Your Days (& Nights) | mindbodygreen [2] "In a medical setting, an electrocardiogram machine (also called an EKG) is usually used to detect heart rate variability. This device, which measures the electrical activity of your heart using sensors attached to the skin of your chest, is highly accurate." URL: Heart Rate Variability (HRV): What It Is and How You Can Track It [3] "The Best Heart Rate Variability Monitors in 2023 Here is a list of HRV trackers on the market we reviewed for you to compare. 1. Polar H10 Heart Rate Sensor Overview Transmitter Battery Life: Up to 400 hours Type of Sensor: Chest strap sensor Strap Length Sizing: 51-116 cm (20-46 in) Bluetooth Smart Compatible: Yes Ant+ Compatible: Yes" URL: Best HRV Monitors (Updated 2023 Review) [4] "Heart rate variability is most accurately measured with an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)—a test that provides a graph of your heartbeat from electrodes placed on your chest, arms, and legs. These electrodes sense the electrical signals in your heart that cause it to beat." URL: What Is Heart Rate Variability & What Can It Tell You? [5] "Using a HRV monitor will detect any changes in your autonomic nervous system by calculating your heart rate, heart rate variability, and sleep quality, while also factoring in things like stress levels and environmental changes. Once analyzed, your data will be displayed on the Polar Flow app for you to keep track of." URL: Heart Rate Variability (HRV): Everything You Need to Know | Polar Journal [6] "The Best HRV Monitors of 2022 Best Overall: Hanu Health Best Technology: Lief Therapeutics Best Value: HeartMath InnerBalance Best Fitness: Biostrap HRM How to Choose the Right Heart Rate Variability Wearable Each wearable in this list is backed by large contingents of raving fans. Your ideal choice depends on your lifestyle: Budget Phone type" URL: 11 Best Heart Rate Variability Biofeedback Monitors (2023 Review & Comparison) Used By Pros [7] "The accuracy of these methods is still under scrutiny, but the technology is improving. If you do wish to give it a try, chest strap monitors tend to provide a more accurate measure of HRV than wrist devices. HRV may offer a noninvasive way to signal imbalances in the autonomic nervous system." URL: Heart rate variability: How it might indicate well-being - Harvard Health [8] "Some of the most popular devices that incorporate HRV tracking are the Whoop and the Apple Watch. Since HRV is kind of complicated to measure accurately, its helpful if you use a device..." URL: Heart Rate Variability: A Key Health Metric That Most People Aren't Tracking [9] "How to Check Your Heart Rate Variability Electrocardiogram. Special wires are attached to your chest to monitor your HRV. Apps and watch systems. Various companies over the years have..." URL: What Is Heart Rate Variability? [10] "Heart rate variability is determined by the time between heart beats, known as RR intervals. These periods of time between successive heart beats are known as RR intervals (named for the heartbeats R-phase, the spikes you see on an EKG), measured in milliseconds." URL: Heart Rate Variability | The Ultimate Guide to HRV | WHOOP

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
From ChatGPT

Heart rate variability (HRV) is a measure of the time variation between consecutive heartbeats, which reflects the balance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. A higher HRV indicates greater autonomic flexibility and overall better health. Here are some of the best ways to increase HRV:

1. Get enough restful sleep: Getting good quality sleep is one of the most important things you can do to improve your HRV [1].
  2. Exercise regularly: Studies show that regular exercise is one of the best methods for improving your HRV [5]. However, it's important to train appropriately and avoid overtraining [5].
  3. Manage stress: Stress has a negative effect on HRV, so learning to manage stress can help increase HRV. Mind-body practices like meditation, yoga, and deep breathing can be effective in reducing stress and improving HRV [4].
  4. Follow a healthy diet: A healthy diet based on whole foods and adequate hydration can improve HRV. Processed foods, sugar, and alcohol should be avoided or consumed in moderation, as they can negatively affect HRV [2].
  5. Practice deep breathing: Breathing exercises, which are basic non-invasive procedures that affect the autonomic nervous system, can train and develop HRV [7].
  6. Stay active: Regular exercise can lead to improved HRV at any age [6]. Even light physical activity like taking a walk can be beneficial.
  7. Avoid overtraining: While exercise is important for improving HRV, it's important to avoid overtraining, as it can have the opposite effect and decrease HRV [5].
  8. Breathe slowly: Slower breathing rates can help increase HRV. Prolonged breathing can shift the sympathovagal balance toward vagal activity and decrease blood pressure [7].
  9. Spend time in nature: Spending time in nature has been shown to increase HRV [2]. Walking in a park, hiking in the mountains, or just being near water can help improve HRV.
  10. Practice gratitude: Expressing gratitude can help improve HRV. Gratitude has been shown to have a positive effect on the autonomic nervous system, leading to improved HRV [3].
Overall, improving HRV involves making positive lifestyle changes such as getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, managing stress, following a healthy diet, and spending time in nature. Simple practices like deep breathing, practicing gratitude, and avoiding overtraining can also help improve HRV.

T

tareload

I use it daily and it has saved me tons of time in my research. Tons
Notice my words:

1677770140540.png

It depends on what quality threshold you want in your research. Using large language model for deeply complex technical topics is simply bad practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching