Health effects of androgen abuse: a review of the HAARLEM study

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Health effects of androgen abuse: a review of the HAARLEM study (2022)
Diederik L. Smit, Peter Bond and Willem de Ronde

Purpose of review

Data on the health effects of androgen abuse are mainly derived from lower-level evidence, such as case series and cross-sectional studies. In the last few years a relatively large and prospective cohort initiative, the HAARLEM (health risks of anabolic androgenic steroid use by male amateur athletes) study, made an important contribution to current knowledge.

Recent findings

The HAARLEM study showed that all androgen abusers experience positive and negative effects, such as an increase in strength and acne and gynecomastia, respectively. Effects are generally reversible and acute life-threatening toxicity is rare. There is a distinct but limited impact on liver and kidney function. Gonadal function is disrupted but resumes normally after abuse is discontinued in the majority of athletes. The negative impact of androgens on cardiovascular parameters, such as blood pressure, hematocrit, and lipid metabolism, as well as cardiac structure and function, seems to be the mechanism for premature atherosclerosis and cardiomyopathy, respectively, in long-term users.

Summary

It is beyond dispute that androgen abuse is harmful and much of the short-term toxicity is well documented. To prevent long-term health hazards, there should be ample focus on preventive measures, both primary and secondary, and effective harm reduction strategies should be developed.

INTRODUCTION

Androgens abused by strength athletes also referred to as anabolic androgenic steroids, have the purpose of increasing strength and enhancing performance. Although the initial landscape of androgen abusers was confined to elite and competitive athletes, a gradual shift towards a large population of amateur athletes and ordinary gym-goers emerged around the 1980s and onwards [1]. Results of a 2014 meta-analysis estimated the global lifetime prevalence rate for males and females at 6.4% and 1.6%, respectively [2]. Although androgen abuse negatively impacts health, there is no broad understanding of its adverse effects. This is mainly due to unfamiliarity with the topic among health professionals and ethical barriers to conducting scientific research. Current data in the literature is therefore mainly derived from expert opinion, case series, retrospective, and cross-sectional studies.

In the last 2-3 years several publications reported data from the HAARLEM study [3,4 – 6,7], which is an acronym for health risks of anabolic androgenic steroid use by male amateur athletes. This cohort study takes precedence over much of the existing literature in this field due to its prospective design and relatively large size. It is a unique project that took place at the outpatient anabolic androgenic steroids clinic of the Spaarne Gasthuis in Haarlem, the Netherlands, between 2015 and 2019. It meticulously analyzed the health impact of real-world androgen abuse and has become the current benchmark. Data from these reports lay an important foundation for appropriate education of athletes who consider, or already abuse, androgens and pave the way for the development of preventive measures. The current review will elaborate on, summarize, and discuss the most important findings of the HAARLEM study.

*DESCRIPTION OF STUDIES

*BASELINE CHARACTERISTICS

*SERIOUS ADVERSE EVENTS

*POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS

*KIDNEY AND LIVER TOXICITY

*TESTICULAR DYSFUNCTION

*CARDIOVASCULAR EFFECTS

*CARDIAC STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION

*LONG-TERM HAZARDS

CONCLUSION

Future research should search for methods by which damage caused by androgens can be moderated. Under the assumption that androgen abuse has deleterious effects on health, it could be beneficial to impel athletes to use fewer androgens than they would do without intervention. Obviously, the most desirable outcome for a clinician or healthcare worker would be to intercept androgen abuse by an athlete entirely, i.e. primary prevention. This is currently endeavored by anti-doping organizations with large-scale education programs and restrictive regulations. These measures could surely be effective but will never rule out androgen abuse by a still sizeable group of strength athletes. Secondary prevention could therefore be complimentary and may take the form of harm reduction strategies, for instance, the face-to-face counseling of current users by health professionals and education through online discussion forums [21]. A well-designed trial that investigates the efficacy of a harm reduction strategy is needed to determine whether such an approach could be put into practice.

Attachments

• Health_effects_of_androgen_abuse__a_review_of_the.20.pdf
    587 KB · Views: 44
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
KEY POINTS

*Until recently, most evidence on the health effects of androgen abuse was based on expert opinion, case studies, retrospective analysis, and cross-sectional studies

*The HAARLEM study provided real-world data on androgen abuse by prospectively analyzing a relatively large group of strength athletes before, during, and after a cycle

*Androgen abuse caused adverse effects in all users, disrupted gonadal function, and negatively impacted cardiovascular parameters and cardiac structure and function

*All adverse effects are generally reversible but ongoing or repeated use may cause long-term hazards, most importantly premature atherosclerosis and cardiomyopathy

*Future research should focus on methods of primary and secondary prevention of androgen abuse, in which harm reduction strategies could play a pivotal role

madman

Super Moderator
Table 1. Overview of publications from the HAARLEM study each with the main theme and respective subjects addressed in the paper.

Baseline characteristics [3]

*Sociodemographic characteristics of androgen abusers

*Reported reasons and motivations for androgen abuse

*Methods of androgen abuse and cycle characteristics

*Quality of black market androgen products used by subjects

*Positive and negative adverse effects [4]

*Prevalence of self-reported (positive and negative) adverse effects

*Prevalence of acne en gynecomastia during physical examination

*Prevalence of kidney and liver toxicity measured with blood analysis

*Psychological effects of androgen abuse (e.g. quality of life, depression)

*Disruption of testicular function [5]

*The effect of androgen abuse on spermatogenesis during the cycle

*Rate of recovery of serum testosterone and spermatogenesis after the cycle

*The influence of post-cycle therapy on the recovery of testicular function

*Cardiovascular effects [6]

* The effect of androgen abuse on blood pressure, lipid profile, and hematocrit

*Associations between cycle characteristics and observed cardiovascular effects

* Difference in the impact of oral and injectable androgens on lipid metabolism

*Cardiac structure and function [7]

* The effect of androgen abuse on cardiac structure and function

*The reversibility of cardiac effects after discontinuation of androgens

*Associations between the observed effects and cycle characteristics

madman

Super Moderator

madman

Super Moderator

BigTex

I think this is a big topic in bodybuilding now is how much is too much. In the last few years it is assumed that more is better in the quest for being an instant champion. When may of the pro's are interviewed that really are not using these huge mega doses that we hear people talk about. There is a sweet spot for athletes and you have to be realistic about here it is and how to depend on training more than drugs.

Wilson7

About 89% of AAS users are not athletes, they are cosmetic users and 52% use between 200 - 600 mg/wk, 31% between 600 - 1000/wk for a cycle (Cohen et al 2007). Until we put these drugs back in the hands of physicians that truly understand them, allow them to prescribe and monitor short/long term sides, we'll never have a clear understanding of the risks associated with low-moderate doses in otherwise healthy men and women. Not everyone wants to look like a genetically altered farm animal, and we know with certainty, if that's the goal, premature morbidity and mortality is assured.

Guided_by_Voices

About 89% of AAS users are not athletes, they are cosmetic users and 52% use between 200 - 600 mg/wk, 31% between 600 - 1000/wk for a cycle (Cohen et al 2007). Until we put these drugs back in the hands of physicians that truly understand them, allow them to prescribe and monitor short/long term sides, we'll never have a clear understanding of the risks associated with low-moderate doses in otherwise healthy men and women. Not everyone wants to look like a genetically altered farm animal, and we know with certainty, if that's the goal, premature morbidity and mortality is assured.
How is it possible to get cosmetic benefits without athletic activity? I am aware of a study that administered T without exercise, and mild benefits which might be considered "cosmetic" were observed, but I would expect that almost no one expects benefits without activity. Increased muscle mass (for most people), reduced likelihood of frailty over time, increased quality of life, and potential for greater activity due to reduced recovery times (just to pick four) are far more than cosmetic benefits.

AS I've stated elsewhere, I believe micro-dosing AAS is a major part of the future, both for TRT (as other recent threads have discussed) and anti-aging/overall health, however I have heard of very few physicians that could be considered to "understand AAS", especially since micro-dosing is in the early stages of being crowd-sourced, just like much of TRT has been crowd-sourced. (By "crowdsourced" I mean people on forums like this exchanging knowledge and experience and pushing knowledge forward.)

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
The hardest variables to manage in using anabolics (with background TRT) are hematocrit and HDL. Hematocrit can be managed but increasing HDL while on muscle-building doses is extremely difficult (I have seen some genetically gifted men that can).

These panels are becoming popular on different forums since I designed them to include important variables based on my own experience. Blood pressure can be self-monitored at home.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Right on track.

"The majority of respondents did not initiate AAS use during adolescence and their NMAAS use was not motivated by athletics. The typical user was a Caucasian, highly-educated, gainfully employed professional approximately 30 years of age, who was earning an above-average income, was not active in organized sports, and whose use was motivated by increases in skeletal muscle mass, strength, and physical attractiveness. These findings question commonly held views of the typical NMAAS user and the associated underlying motivations."

T

tareload

How is it possible to get cosmetic benefits without athletic activity?

Hypertrophy training in and of itself doesn't count as athletic activity. Hence @Wilson7 did not imply AAS without hypertrophy training would result in significant cosmetic benefit.

AAS without weight training has a niche spot clinically. But cosmetic and strength gainz are improved significantly combining AAS and resistance training.

Good points on potential sarcopenia improvement using low dose AAS and weight training. Hard to see that catching on without significant overhaul in medical education and research.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guided_by_Voices

Hypertrophy training in and of itself doesn't count as athletic activity. Hence @Wilson7 did not imply AAS without hypertrophy training would result in significant cosmetic benefit.
What? So football (US) teams lifting weights, or weightlifters of some form, or gymnasts or strongman competitors (all of who do training that results in hypertrophy) aren't doing athletic activity? I would argue that just about any form of intense activity qualifies as athletic, including some forms of construction work. My point is that there are almost no people using AAS that are receiving only (or close to only) cosmetic benefits, so the figure of 89% makes zero sense. Maybe people on wet compounds who get the water-buffalo look, but even they are getting other benefits.

Wilson7

How is it possible to get cosmetic benefits without athletic activity? I am aware of a study that administered T without exercise, and mild benefits which might be considered "cosmetic" were observed, but I would expect that almost no one expects benefits without activity. Increased muscle mass (for most people), reduced likelihood of frailty over time, increased quality of life, and potential for greater activity due to reduced recovery times (just to pick four) are far more than cosmetic benefits.

AS I've stated elsewhere, I believe micro-dosing AAS is a major part of the future, both for TRT (as other recent threads have discussed) and anti-aging/overall health, however I have heard of very few physicians that could be considered to "understand AAS", especially since micro-dosing is in the early stages of being crowd-sourced, just like much of TRT has been crowd-sourced. (By "crowdsourced" I mean people on forums like this exchanging knowledge and experience and pushing knowledge forward.)
We're talking competitive athletes (drug tested). Of course RE is necessary to optimize the effects of not only HRT but anything more. One of the driving reasons AAS and T were made into controlled substances dates back to the Ben Johnson scandal with stanazolol. Congress had one thing in mind, get them out of sports and it was opposed by the AMA and DEA as well as others. The reality is, most uses are not in competitive sports (drug tested PRO, NCAA, etc.). Here is another recent survey, shows pretty much the same thing. Anabolic Steroids: A Survey of 2,385 Men

BigTex

I remember when the state of Texas instituted steroid testing in our high schools. I felt pretty stupid having to get up in front of athletes and make that anti-steroid speech. It was almost as stupid as telling them not to smoke weed. Especially when my entire 22 years coaching I was using steroids. After over 63,000 tests, $10 million in taxpayer expenses, there were only 40 positive test results. I believe the testing started in 2008 and ended this nonsense n 2015. I also believe hearing that all 40 test were contested and found to be false positives. There is on average about 500,000 boys and 330,000 girls. Kids this age don't generally have the money or knowledge how to pass drug tests. Our biggest problems in sport were weed.

By the university there is knowledge on how to beat NCAA testing. The best method is it is common knowledge when testing is going to be so everyone knows how to get clean. Since 1990, only one Division I player -- in 1996 -- has been caught with the juice in his urine as part of the NCAA's system of testing bowl-bound players for drugs. did the NCAA put the fear of God in them or are athletes smarter that they think?

NFL drug testing is also done at a specific time. I have never heard of a witness being present when the urine sample was given. The suspensions only represent around 1% or fewer of all NFL players each year. But most have long has suspected the actual PED usage is far greater, much like in cycling, where admitted users avoided testing positive in drug tests. Usually only careless and stupid people get caught. Same thing in the Olympics, drug use is big time but the careless get caught.

None of these people are going to be using Muscular Digest's forum of Professional Muscle where I remember seeing these surveys. Anyway, I would not take a survey like this, nor have I ever admitted to using up until the last year when I was doing it legal. Anyway, there are more athletes using PED 's than people care to know about, they are just not going to to talk about it. The higher up you go the more common it is. There is just too much money involved in winning.

How about cops? I have knows cops who sold steroids and most of their clientele worked with them on the force. How many police officers all over the USA do AAS but would never admit is to anyone. Firefighters??? One of the biggest steroid suppliers I remember was a captain in the fire department. These guys are out there but no one will ever find out.

From the Luoma article:

WHO DO THEY ASK FOR ADVICE?

It was almost universally believed that internet steroid gurus were much more reliable sources of information than doctors. In fact, doctors came in LAST regarding knowledge of anabolic steroids, with steroid coaches/gurus, bodybuilding websites, and other steroid users ranking higher in favorability.​

DO THEY EVEN TELL THEIR DOCTORS?

Over 50 percent of users refrain from telling their doctors about their steroid use because they fear being stigmatized and not treated fairly. And, in those who did tell their docs, 55.3 percent of them found out they were right – their doctors did stigmatize them and treat them unfairly.​

How true this is! Medical doctors come LAST on the list regarding knowledge of medication, sounds kind of ironical, huh. People are better off getting advice from their local guru. Then Congress said this law was all about health concerns? I am glad now I can tell my doctor because my health can finally be of concern.

Last edited:

Wilson7

I remember when the state of Texas instituted steroid testing in our high schools. I felt pretty stupid having to get up in front of athletes and make that anti-steroid speech. It was almost as stupid as telling them not to smoke weed. Especially when my entire 22 years coaching I was using steroids. After over 63,000 tests, $10 million in taxpayer expenses, there were only 40 positive test results. I believe the testing started in 2008 and ended this nonsense n 2015. I also believe hearing that all 40 test were contested and found to be false positives. There is on average about 500,000 boys and 330,000 girls. Kids this age don't generally have the money or knowledge how to pass drug tests. Our biggest problems in sport were weed.

By the university there is knowledge on how to beat NCAA testing. The best method is it is common knowledge when testing is going to be so everyone knows how to get clean. Since 1990, only one Division I player -- in 1996 -- has been caught with the juice in his urine as part of the NCAA's system of testing bowl-bound players for drugs. did the NCAA put the fear of God in them or are athletes smarter that they think?

NFL drug testing is also done at a specific time. I have never heard of a witness being present when the urine sample was given. The suspensions only represent around 1% or fewer of all NFL players each year. But most have long has suspected the actual PED usage is far greater, much like in cycling, where admitted users avoided testing positive in drug tests. Usually only careless and stupid people get caught. Same thing in the Olympics, drug use is big time but the careless get caught.

None of these people are going to be using Muscular Digest's forum of Professional Muscle where I remember seeing these surveys. Anyway, I would not take a survey like this, nor have I ever admitted to using up until the last year when I was doing it legal. Anyway, there are more athletes using PED 's than people care to know about, they are just not going to to talk about it. The higher up you go the more common it is. There is just too much money involved in winning.

How about cops? I have knows cops who sold steroids and most of their clientele worked with them on the force. How many police officers all over the USA do AAS but would never admit is to anyone. Firefighters??? One of the biggest steroid suppliers I remember was a captain in the fire department. These guys are out there but no one will ever find out.

From the Luoma article:

WHO DO THEY ASK FOR ADVICE?

It was almost universally believed that internet steroid gurus were much more reliable sources of information than doctors. In fact, doctors came in LAST regarding knowledge of anabolic steroids, with steroid coaches/gurus, bodybuilding websites, and other steroid users ranking higher in favorability.​

DO THEY EVEN TELL THEIR DOCTORS?

Over 50 percent of users refrain from telling their doctors about their steroid use because they fear being stigmatized and not treated fairly. And, in those who did tell their docs, 55.3 percent of them found out they were right – their doctors did stigmatize them and treat them unfairly.​

How true this is! Medical doctors come LAST on the list regarding knowledge of medication, sounds kind of ironical, huh. People are better off getting advice from their local guru. Then Congress said this law was all about health concerns? I am glad now I can tell my doctor because my health can finally be of concern.
Good post Big Tex.

BigTex

Wilson7 -. Remember the Roger Clemens mess? I know Roger as he is from Deerpark. He was being trained by a good friend of mine who had to sell his gym and leave the country to avoid having to appear in front of Congress with Clements. What a waste of taxpayer's money. What did it change. Keep government out of pro sports.

Wilson7

Wilson7 -. Remember the Roger Clemens mess? I know Roger as he is from Deerpark. He was being trained by a good friend of mine who had to sell his gym and leave the country to avoid having to appear in front of Congress with Clements. What a waste of taxpayer's money. What did it change. Keep government out of pro sports.
Keep govt out of most everything and we'd be in a better place overall.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me