Have any of you dealt with prolactin issues?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

trtthings

I've supplemented with a little L-tyrosine for some years now. It certainly didn't prevent the rise in prolactin. I'd be cautious with 5-HTP. Even too much of its precursor, L-tryptophan, gave me problems that in hindsight were from higher prolactin. The chain is L-tryptophan -> 5-HTP -> serotonin. And "Serotonin potently increases prolactin and there is a very good correlation between prolactin and serotonin."[R] Furthermore, taking 5-HTP bypasses an upstream rate-limiting step, making it easier to overdose.

I've been thinking about this a bit more and wondering whether I should instead be doing L-Tryptophan with L-Tyrosine rather than 5-HTP.

However I suppose starting with 5-HTP won't hurt, will get me familiar with how it feels like and I could then switch it out for tryptophan.

trtthings

I would encourage this. Even if unlikely, serotonin syndrome sounds unpleasant.

Agree, but have you read about EMS with L-Tryptophan? I wonder if this is also a problem with 5-HTP, and then subsequently, whether this shouldn't be a problem with SSRI/SNRIs as well?

I haven't spent a lot of time reading about this yet, but saw some papers suggesting that they didn't find any contamination in the L-Tryptophan batch being used.

Ultimately I want to try to increase my dopamine / serotonin / norepinephrine. All of them for mood purposes and dopamine esp. to counteract serotonin's PRL stimulation.

trtthings

If I were to consider an anti-depressant I long ago decided Moclobemide would be it. A reversible MAOI that increases all three. The lack of sexual side effects for men I would think suggests lack of proper PRL spiking.

Though I'm less a fan of reuptake rather than increasing the precursors.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Agree, but have you read about EMS with L-Tryptophan? I wonder if this is also a problem with 5-HTP, and then subsequently, whether this shouldn't be a problem with SSRI/SNRIs as well?

I haven't spent a lot of time reading about this yet, but saw some papers suggesting that they didn't find any contamination in the L-Tryptophan batch being used.

Ultimately I want to try to increase my dopamine / serotonin / norepinephrine. All of them for mood purposes and dopamine esp. to counteract serotonin's PRL stimulation.
I remember the scare with L-tryptophan, but I didn't know the condition's name, eosinophilia–myalgia syndrome. It seems as though even now there is uncertainty about its cause.

If I were to consider an anti-depressant I long ago decided Moclobemide would be it. A reversible MAOI that increases all three. The lack of sexual side effects for men I would think suggests lack of proper PRL spiking.
I wonder how this compares to the selegiline/PEA combination?

trtthings

I remember the scare with L-tryptophan, but I didn't know the condition's name, eosinophilia–myalgia syndrome. It seems as though even now there is uncertainty about its cause.

I wonder how this compares to the selegiline/PEA combination?

Good question, I wasn't aware of this. This is the combination you're taking? It's a PITA to get any of this where I live, need to order it from abroad and it may very well be stopped at customs. And selegiline is of course a prescription medication.

I'm still curious about a combination of 5-HTP & and L-Tyrosine but I find EMS to be quite off-putting. As a back-up, Moclobemide/any medicine that raises dopamine & norepinephrine. Selegiline I find fascinating as well, maybe with PEA. But I'd be hard-pressed to find a doctor to prescribe selegiline, even in "alternative" medicine clinics I don't believe that's common.

I'm also interested in increasing T3 and the connection between hypothyroidism (even subclinical) and depression.

Another really obscure (and way off label) medicine would be orphenadrine. It has a little known "mood lifting" effect and has been marked with potential for abuse. Used as a muscle relaxant medicine and has a mild sedative effect as well. I know someone who takes this regularly for arthritis but notes the mood lifting effect of it. It has antihistamine properties.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
... This is the combination you're taking? ...
Yes, though I started them at different times and for different reasons before I learned about the synergistic effect.

I'm still curious about a combination of 5-HTP & and L-Tyrosine but I find EMS to be quite off-putting. ...
Surely the likelihood of getting this is orders of magnitude less than the chance of being killed while walking across the street?

trtthings

Surely the likelihood of getting this is orders of magnitude less than the chance of being killed while walking across the street?

I will agree to a point.

What I wondered was whether there was a connection between EMS and CFS (a condition of which I have many of the symptoms for, and one doctor believes I have, I've improved radically on a hefty dose of testosterone with anastrozole).

I wondered about the connection before looking anything up - another condition very related to CFS is fibromyalgia and there quite possibly is a connection: Is there any Relationship Between Eosinophilia Myalgia Syndrome (Ems) and Fibromyalgia Syndrome (Fms)? an Analysis Of Clinical and Immunological Data

So for me it's not worth the risk. It might only be risky for the susceptible (and even certain batches?).

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Showing once again that balance matters with hormones.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me