Have any of you dealt with prolactin issues?

Buy Lab Tests Online

trtthings

Sometimes I wonder if my issues with E2 have to do with prolactin levels.

If I don't take a hefty dose of AI erection quality is poor, libido is not happening, unbelievably emotional, and sex seems to be one trigger for me becoming emotional. This never used to happen until a year ago.

I have had an MRI which showed a 5mm pituitary adenoma, but PRL has always been within the reference range.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
For me, emotionalism is linked to higher estradiol, while reduced libido and difficulty achieving orgasm seem linked to higher prolactin. My prolactin doesn't have to be that high to cause problems—over 10 ng/mL or so seems to be the threshold. It may simply be relatively high for me, because I had a baseline in an earlier year of 6 ng/mL, and it seemed to creep up over time.

Last edited:

trtthings

For me, emotionalism is linked to higher estradiol, while reduced libido and difficulty achieving orgasm seem linked to higher prolactin. My prolactin doesn't have to be that high to cause problems—over 10 ng/mL or so seems to be the threshold. It may simply be relatively high for me, because I had a baseline in an earlier year of 6 ng/dL, and it seemed to creep up over time.

How do you manage your prolactin level?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
How do you manage your prolactin level?
I initially micro-dosed some cabergoline, and the subsequent improvements suggested I was on the right track. Over time various protocol adjustments seemed to solve the problem, so I don't need the cabergoline. But I do currently take a small amount of selegiline, which may also be acting to reduce prolactin a little.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Interesting, I found barely any alternatives to caber/brom. Excepting perhaps high dose P5P and vitamin E.

I considered a low-dose cabergoline but I'm quite afraid of the side effects. Is Selegiline better tolerated?
I'm not sure, but I might suspect so. There are some thoughts that taking selegiliine could be beneficial, particularly in those who are no longer young.

trtthings

I'm not sure, but I might suspect so. There are some thoughts that taking selegiliine could be beneficial, particularly in those who are no longer young.

Okay interesting. And out of curiosity, what is a low dose Cabergoline?

If I recall even 0.5mg weekly is used to treat a prolactinoma for maintenance once the levels have lowered.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Okay interesting. And out of curiosity, what is a low dose Cabergoline?

If I recall even 0.5mg weekly is used to treat a prolactinoma for maintenance once the levels have lowered.
I started with 125 mcg per week, which reduced prolactin from 11 ng/mL to 8. I'd tried up to 220 mcg a week, but when combined with other protocol changes my prolactin was driven low, and that's when I recognized that cabergoline was no longer needed.

Reiterating what I found to be important about possible use of cabergoline: Consider other protocol changes first. Go low and slow on the dosing, and monitor your prolactin.

trtthings

I started with 125 mcg per week, which reduced prolactin from 11 ng/mL to 8. I'd tried up to 220 mcg a week, but when combined with other protocol changes my prolactin was driven low, and that's when I recognized that cabergoline was no longer needed.

Reiterating what I found to be important about possible use of cabergoline: Consider other protocol changes first. Go low and slow on the dosing, and monitor your prolactin.

Am planning to do a prolactin test soon. The thing is though, prolactin's half life in the serum isn't that long, about 40 minutes. And I feel like my symptoms result from spikes to some extent. Except maybe erection quality.

Another trigger for me and becoming really emotional is working out at high intensity.

I've been doing anastrozole EOD, planned to skip today's dose and get checked tomorrow. Not sure if I'll catch it red handed though.

trtthings

Maybe you already know that sexual activity should be avoided in the 24 hours before testing prolactin.

Would be mildly interesting if they had a post-sex reference range. Though I suspect a considerable percentage might have done something in the previous 24 hours.

bochinit

This is an unhelpful admonition if you won't elaborate.

I have posted about but excluded it because you don't paid any attention. So go ahead and listen npc's who gives you stupid advice in forums and see by yourself what using these alzheimer/parkinson meds will do with you.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I have posted about but excluded it because you don't paid any attention. So go ahead and listen npc's who gives you stupid advice in forums and see by yourself what using these alzheimer/parkinson meds will do with you.
I see we had one other similarly productive exchange:

You: Keep using Cabergoline and you will regret it.
Me: Do elaborate, if you can.
You:

If you have posted elsewhere on the subject of selegiline then please link to it, as I am unable to find it with the search function.

bochinit

I see we had one other similarly productive exchange:

You: Keep using Cabergoline and you will regret it.
Me: Do elaborate, if you can.
You:

If you have posted elsewhere on the subject of selegiline then please link to it, as I am unable to find it with the search function.

If you want to use these kinda of drugs without having parkison/alzheimer as a band-aid for a dirty protocol go ahead and do it. Maybe some day you will understand why I am saying this.

Fernando Almaguer

If you want to use these kinda of drugs without having parkison/alzheimer as a band-aid for a dirty protocol go ahead and do it. Maybe some day you will understand why I am saying this.

Hey dude, you have a lot of knowledge. Also, a little rude and callous. How about finding another way to address members instead of condescending remarks?

S1W

Generally speaking, what other protocol changes would you recommend to control prolactin?

The last time it was tested, my prolactin was 18.5 ng/ml (4.0-15.2). I'm starting to suspect this is causing issues for me.

trtthings

Generally speaking, what other protocol changes would you recommend to control prolactin?

The last time it was tested, my prolactin was 18.5 ng/ml (4.0-15.2). I'm starting to suspect this is causing issues for me.

I realise you're not asking me, but E2 stimulates prolactin secretion. So you can lower your E2, either by lowering your testosterone, or adding an AI.

Otherwise I don't know of anything other than the dopamine antagonists.

Cataceous

Super Moderator

I agree with what @trtthings said. It is better to avoid an AI if possible, but in some cases maybe you don't want to lower testosterone further. The alternative I've tried is to preserve daily peak testosterone while lowering average levels. This is done by switching to daily use of a blend of testosterone propionate and a longer ester, such as cypionate. I initially dropped to the equivalent of 50 mg T cypionate per week, and still had peak serum testosterone around 800 ng/dL.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me