Glucose "flatlines" to morning from last meal

Buy Lab Tests Online
Been on a LCHF (50-55% fats, 35% protein, 10-15% carbs) diet for several years. Euglycemic up to now, never been dx'd as T2D or pre, although I carry several genetic variants that predispose me to it.

My post-prandial blood glucose (PPBG) levels are normal, rarely exceeding 125 as are my a1c levels (4.9-5.3). Last fasting insulin was 3; HOMA-IR: 0.7. Even with a heavy carb meal, I can get it down in the 110-115 range when I remember to take a few different glucose management supplements. For example, I ate a meal containing 90g net carbs and my 2h PPBG was 110.

It's my FBG (fasting blood glucose) that has me a bit concerned. If I eat my last meal within 4h of bedtime, even if it's containing mostly protein and fat, my FBG will "flatline" (not drop) from my last PPBG into the next day. My glucose just won't deplete and I get FBG readings lately of 106-112 which is unusual for me. I question if I'm losing my insulin sensitivity.

Two things that I've observed augment that: 1) eating my last meal at >4h before bed; 2) not being sedentary (getting some sort of sustained physical activity like walking) which burns the remnant glucose. Then, I get FBG readings <100, but still in the mid to high 90s. But neither are always possible due to my schedule.

I'm thinking this is a results of 2 things:
- Dawn Phenomenon [Dawn phenomenon - Wikipedia]
- Gluconeogenesis

Thoughts? Anything I should augment or consider?

Also, has anyone done a GlycoMark test? [The GlycoMark Test - Glycomark] I have. Twice. And the results could not be matched against a CGM (continuous glucose monitor).

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Joe Sixpack

How many grams of protein is this 35%? What I have personally found is that the more protein I eat above 150g, the higher my fasting BG is. Even if I finish eating by 5PM, if I eat say 200g-250g protein, my waking glucose will be over 100+. And this is holding my carbs to under 50g. I have found that since I only eat 50 carbs, if I want to keep my protein at 150, I have to eat an enormous amount of fat. If I do so, my waking glucose will be 90 or less.

How many grams of protein is this 35%? What I have personally found is that the more protein I eat above 150g, the higher my fasting BG is. Even if I finish eating by 5PM, if I eat say 200g-250g protein, my waking glucose will be over 100+. And this is holding my carbs to under 50g. I have found that since I only eat 50 carbs, if I want to keep my protein at 150, I have to eat an enormous amount of fat. If I do so, my waking glucose will be 90 or less.

That is good anecdotal data. You essentially confirmed what I wrote in my post as a possible cause: gluconeogenesis (non-carb sources such as protein metabolizing into glucose).

So, in my case, 35% equates to roughly 150-180g protein. For someone who's AAS-free with a FFM weight of around 135lbs, that may be overkill and lead me to higher FBG.

Joe Sixpack

That is good anecdotal data. You essentially confirmed what I wrote in my post as a possible cause: gluconeogenesis (non-carb sources such as protein metabolizing into glucose).

So, in my case, 35% equates to roughly 150-180g protein. For someone who's AAS-free with a FFM weight of around 135lbs, that may be overkill and lead me to higher FBG.
Right. The high protein would be my guess. You could test it by cranking up the amount of fat you eat while lowering the protein and seeing what happens.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me