Finasteride (Proscar, Propecia) Use Associated with ED, Low Testosterone

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Seven hundred men participated in the study. Of those, 470 (mean age 58) took 5 mg of finasteride each day. The remaining 230 men (mean age 63) took 0.4 mg of tamsulosin. The men were followed for up to 45 months.

Every three months, and at follow-up appointments, the men's testosterone levels were checked. Participants also completed the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF) questionnaire at these points.

Over time, IIEF scores declined for men taking finasteride, indicating poorer erectile function. This worsening of ED did not resolve over time. In contrast, the men taking tamsulosin did not experience any worsening of ED.

Also, total testosterone levels decreased for the men taking finasteride. This did not occur in the tamsulosin group.

- See more at: http://www.issm.info/news/sex-healt...ith-ed-low-testosterone/#sthash.F4BmeXU3.dpuf

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Well, I mentioned in other posts that I've taken both drugs a number of years ago (at different times).

The Finnasteride side effects (at 1mg QD) were horrible. I can't imagine anyone taking 5mg of it for BPH issues. Totally killed my sex drive, and erection capability. Got off that poison quickly, and it took a month or two for everything to return to normal.

The Tamsulosin (Flomax) at .4mg QD didn't affect sex drive or erection capability at all. It only had the one weird side effect of delayed ejaculation.

I would take the Flomax again if it were a medical necessity, but the Finnasteride I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

CoastWatcher

Well, I mentioned in other posts that I've taken both drugs a number of years ago (at different times).

The Finnasteride side effects (at 1mg QD) were horrible. I can't imagine anyone taking 5mg of it for BPH issues. Totally killed my sex drive, and erection capability. Got off that poison quickly, and it took a month or two for everything to return to normal.

The Tamsulosin (Flomax) at .4mg QD didn't affect sex drive or erection capability at all. It only had the one weird side effect of delayed ejaculation.

I would take the Flomax again if it were a medical necessity, but the Finnasteride I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

I have had retrograde ejaculation, seminal emission into the bladder, a few times with Tamsulosin. I firmly believe that Finasteride is a potentially evil drug. I base that on two conversations I had regrading hair loss some years ago. The first discussion, with my dermatologist, was short and to the point. He told me that he liberally prescribed Finasteride when it was first released. He backed away from it when a good third of those patients were coming back to him with erectile issues and loss of libido that he was not readily able to treat. I raised the same point with my PCP who told me she felt that any man taking Finasteride was gambling with their sexuality. Some win that wager, keep their hair and their sexual lives. Too many men, however, lose the wager. She wouldn't prescribe it either. I realize now how fortunate I was to have dodged that particular bullet. Everyone makes their own choice - and I respect that. I just know what mine would be in light of what is known.

Last edited:

Loki

I have had retrograde ejaculation, seminal emission into the bladder, a few times with Tamsulosin. I firmly believe that Finasteride is a potentially evil drug. I base that on two conversations I had regrading hair loss some years ago. The first discussion, with my dermatologist, was short and to the point. He told me that he liberally prescrib d Finasteride when it was first released. He backed away from it when a good third of those patients were coming back to him with erectile issues and loss of libido that he was not readily able to treat. I raised the same point with my PCP who told me she felt that any man taking Finasteride was gambling with their sexuality. Some win that wager, keep their hair and their sexual lives. Too many men, however, lose the wager. She wouldn't prescribe it either. I realize niw how fortunate I was to have dodged that particular bullet. Everyone make their own choice - and I respect that. I just know what mine would be in light of what is known.

Problem is I made mine so long ago and I am trying to figure out how to do undo it without going bald in a year... I have had years and years of amazing libido and erections on fin... The drug that impacted me the most and totally threw me into a tail spin was Clomid... And I have no idea why....

On fin I can bench 500 +, 19.75 inch arms, etc, etc.... Truth is it might not even be effective for me... My hairloss protocol is 10 times more complex than my TRT... But I am working and I bet with Defy they have some good products to help me make a good positive adjustment in this area... Tuesday can't come fast enough....

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Persistent Sexual Dysfunction with Finasteride 1mg Taken for Hair Loss.
Guo M, et al. Pharmacotherapy. 2016.

Abstract
PURPOSE: To examine the risk of persistent sexual dysfunction (PSD) with finasteride 1mg.

METHODS: We conducted a retrospective cohort study using the IMS U.S. health claims database. From an original cohort of 6,110,723 patients, we identified 1390 men who had stopped using finasteride 1mg and 20,000 randomly selected age- and calendar time-matched users of omeprazole from 2006 to 2014. First PSD event was defined as 1) the first PSD diagnosis through the first International Classification for Diseases, Ninth Revision Clinical Modification [ICD-9-CM]) code for sexual dysfunction and 2) use of a phosphodiesterase inhibitor (sildenafil, tadalafil, or vardenafil) RESULTS: In the primary analysis, we identified 1,390 men taking finasteride 1mg and 20,000 omeprazole users. The median time to first PSD event after discontinuation ofa finasteride 1mg prescription was 339 days (SD, 334 days). The rate of PSD for finasteride 1mg users and omeprazole users was 37.9 and 15 per 1000-person-years, respectively. For the primary analysis of sexual dysfunction, the adjusted hazard ratio (HR) comparing finasteride 1mg users to omeprazole users was 1.62 (1.14-2.29). Adjusted HR in the secondary analysis comparing finasteride users to omeprazole users with respect to the first phosphodiesterase inhibitor was 2.73 (2.01-3.69).

CONCLUSIONS: The risk of PSD in men who stopped finasteride 1mg therapy was higher than for omeprazole users. Patients who stopped finasteride therapy sought physician visits for sexual dysfunction up to 1 year after stopping finasteride. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me