Efficacy of micronized progesterone for sleep

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Efficacy of micronized progesterone for sleep: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trial data
Brendan J. Nolan, Bonnie Liang, Ada S. Cheung

Abstract

Context:
Pre-clinical data has shown progesterone metabolites improve sleep parameters through positive allosteric modulation of the GABA-A receptor. We undertook a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials to assess micronized progesterone treatment on sleep outcomes.

Evidence Acquisition: Using PRISMA guidelines, we searched MEDLINE, Embase, PsycInfo, and the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials for randomized controlled trials of micronized progesterone treatment on sleep outcomes up to March 31, 2020. This study is registered with the International Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews (PROSPERO), number CRD42020165981. A random-effects model was used for quantitative analysis.

Evidence Synthesis: Our search strategy retrieved 9 randomized controlled trials comprising 388 participants. One additional unpublished trial was found. Eight trials enrolled post-menopausal women. Compared with placebo, micronized progesterone improved various sleep parameters as measured by polysomnography, including total sleep time and sleep onset latency, though studies were inconsistent. Meta-analysis of 4 trials favoured micronised progesterone for sleep onset latency (effect size, 7.10; C.I. 1.30, 12.91) but not total sleep time (effect size, 20.72; C.I -0.16, 41.59) or sleep efficiency (effect size, 1.31; C.I. -2.09, 4.70). Self-reported sleep outcomes improved in most trials. Concomitant estradiol administration and improvement in vasomotor symptoms limit conclusions in some studies.

Conclusions: Micronised progesterone improves various sleep outcomes in randomized controlled trials, predominantly in studies enrolling post-menopausal women. Further research could evaluate the efficacy of micronized progesterone monotherapy using polysomnography or validated questionnaires in larger cohorts.

Introduction

Progesterone is a sex steroid with biological roles including preparation of the uterus for implantation. However, accumulating preclinical data has demonstrated additional nonreproductive effects in the central nervous system in both sexes (1). Progesterone metabolites, including allopregnanolone, are positive allosteric modulators of the γ-aminobutyric acid type A (GABA-A) receptor (2,3) and have been shown to produce similar changes to sleep architecture as benzodiazepines (4).

Micronised progesterone or progestin treatment is often prescribed with estradiol as menopausal hormone therapy for women with an intact uterus. Impaired sleep is commonly reported at the menopausal transition (5-7) and has been shown to improve with combination estrogen/progesterone therapy (8). Given pre-clinical data demonstrating modulation of the GABA-A receptor with progesterone monotherapy, we undertook a systematic review of randomized controlled trials that reported the effects of micronized progesterone treatment compared with placebo or an active comparator on sleep outcomes in adult women and men.

Progestogens and sleep physiology

Progestogens, including micronized progesterone and progestins, are commonly prescribed as menopausal hormone therapy. Oral micronized progesterone is bioidentical to human progesterone whereas the progestins are synthetic progestogen derivatives (24). MPA is a derivative of 17αhydroxyprogesterone with agonistic activity at the progesterone, androgen, and glucocorticoid receptors, whereas dydrogesterone is a retroprogesterone with almost exclusive progestogenic activity (24).

Progesterone is known to produce sedative and hypnotic effects (25). Progesterone metabolites, including allopregnanolone, are positive allosteric modulators of the γ-aminobutyric acid type A (GABA-A) receptor (2,3,26) and have been shown to produce similar changes to sleep architecture as benzodiazepines (4).

Pre-clinical studies have demonstrated that both MPA (27) and dydrogesterone (28) also increase central nervous system allopregnanolone concentrations, providing a plausible basis for improvement in sleep parameters.
However, the focus of this review remains on micronized progesterone given long-term safety concerns with progestins. MPA, together with conjugated equine estrogen, was associated with an increased risk of breast cancer and coronary heart disease in the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) trial (29). Estrogen plus micronized progesterone, compared to estrogen plus progestin therapy, is associated with a lower risk of breast cancer (30) and does not impair endothelial function (31) or other cardiovascular safety parameters (32).

Micronised progesterone dose

Doses of 100-300mg oral micronized progesterone were used in the included studies. All studies that utilized polysomnography showed improvement in sleep parameters with doses of 200-300mg. Treatment with 100mg micronized progesterone resulted in improvements in improvements in sleep quality (14,16,18) but did not differ from comparator or control groups in two studies (16,18). There is significant inter-individual variability following oral micronized progesterone (35), and the dose that results in maximal effect while minimizing potential side effects such as drowsiness has not been studied.

Clinical implications

Micronised progesterone could be considered for improvement of sleep in postmenopausal women treated with menopausal hormone therapy, with placebo-controlled trials utilizing polysomnography prescribing 300mg at night. Given its mechanism of action, drowsiness is a documented adverse effect so night-time administration is recommended and does not impair morning cognitive function (21).

Conclusions

Randomized controlled data demonstrates that micronized progesterone improves various aspects of the sleep cycle and self-reported sleep outcomes, predominantly in studies involving postmenopausal women. However, results are inconsistent between studies.
Further research should utilize polysomnography or validated sleep questionnaires such as PSQI in larger cohorts.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Figure 2. Random-effects meta-analysis of micronized progesterone on polysomnography parameters: (a) total sleep time; (b) sleep onset latency; (c) sleep efficiency. The vertical line represents no treatment effect. Squares and horizontal lines represent the point estimates and associated confidence intervals for each study. The diamonds represent the random-effects pooled mean difference and its width the associated confidence interval. Studies are separated by progesterone administration route. CI, confidence interval; IV, inverse variance; SD, standard deviation
Screenshot (2858).png

Screenshot (2859).png

Screenshot (2860).png

sammmy

I never thought progesterone has benefits for men but some sites claim that it "counteracts the effects of estrogen on the male body" and is a precursor to testosterone. Allegedly it may help decrease body fat, increase bone density, increase libido, and improve sleep.

Very high injectable doses of medroxyprogesterone acetate are used as libido killer for male sex offenders so careful with the dosing.

I may try a progesterone cream do decrease fat around navel and improve sleep. I am not holding my breath after my experience with pregnenolone (supposedly converts to progesterone in males) which did nothing for my sleep.

Last edited:

JoeMatts

I never thought progesterone has benefits for men but some sites claim that it "counteracts the effects of estrogen on the male body" and is a precursor to testosterone. Allegedly it may help decrease body fat, increase bone density, increase libido, and improve sleep.

Very high injectable doses of medroxyprogesterone acetate are used as libido killer for male sex offenders so careful with the dosing.

I may try a progesterone cream do decrease fat around navel and improve sleep. I am not holding my breath after my experience with pregnenolone (supposedly converts to progesterone in males) which did nothing for my sleep.

Medroxyprogesterone acetate is nothing like bio-identical progesterone, so their effects cannot, and should not, be compared — it actually has various anti-progesterone effects in the tissue through it's competition with progesterone for the PR. Rouzier and Nichols et al love to discredit studies that extrapolate harm from synthetic estrogens to bio-identical estradiol, but they proceed to do the same to progesterone and it's own synthetic derivatives.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me