Effects of N-acetyl-cysteine supplementation on sperm quality, chromatin integrity and level of oxidative stress in infertile men

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Effects of N-acetyl-cysteine supplementation on sperm quality, chromatin integrity and level of oxidative stress in infertile men

Rahil Jannatifar , Kazem Parivar, Nasim Hayati Roodbari1 and Mohammad Hossein Nasr-Esfahani

Abstract

Background: Infertile men have higher levels of semen reactive oxygen species (ROS) than fertile men. High levels of semen ROS can cause sperm dysfunction, sperm DNA damage and reduced male reproductive potential. This study investigated the effects of supplementation with N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) on the sperm quality, chromatin integrity and levels of oxidative stress in infertile men.

Methods: The study was carried out in the unit of ACECR Infertility Research Center, Qom, Iran. The patients consisted of 50 infertile men with asthenoteratozoospermia who received NAC (600 mg/d) orally for 3 months, after which they were compared with pre-treatment status. Semen was analyzed according to WHO (2010), followed by the assessment of protamine content [chromomycin A3 (CMA3)] and DNA integrity [terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-mediated dUTP nick-end labeling (TUNEL)]. Oxidative stress markers, i.e. total antioxidant capacity (TAC) and malondialdehyde (MDA), as well as hormonal profile (LH, FSH, Testosterone and Prolactin) were determined by ELISA kit.

Results: After NAC treatment, patients’ sperm count and motility increased significantly whereas abnormal morphology, DNA fragmentation and protamine deficiency showed significant decreases compared to pretreatment levels (P < 0.05). Hormonal profile improvement was associated with lowered FSH and LH levels and increased amount of testosterone (P < 0.05). TAC significantly increased and MDA decreased with an inverse significant correlation between TAC and MDA (P < 0.05).

Conclusion: NAC oral supplementation may improve sperm parameters and oxidative/antioxidant status in infertile males.

Conclusion
ROS appears to play an important role in the generation of sperm DNA damage, impairment of semen parameters, and failure of sperm functions
leading to male supplementation with NAC for at least 3 months in asthenoteratozoospermic men partners of infertile couples, who benefited from reverting these damages, likely due to its positive effect on the antioxidant defenses.

Attachments

• FEB19-NAC-s12958-019-0468-9.pdf
    984.3 KB · Views: 140
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Jarrow NAC Sustain on Amazon

gonzo

Jarrow NAC Sustain on Amazon

Thank you. I just started diving into some recent test results and I need to start studying until my 2nd visit in march. It’s a lot. Chemilum DNA damage came in high. 72.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me