Effective Lower Back Exercises

Buy Lab Tests Online

bigfred32

Question and looking for some suggestions on some lower back routines I can incorporate into my gym workout.
Im having trouble finding a good machine or cable weight workout that will specifically target my lower back.
My situation is this, Im in my 50's, weight lifted pretty much my whole life, both shoulders have been repaired as well as right bicep detatch in 2013 from work related injury. Ventral hernia repair in abdominal area and arthritis and degenerate discs in lower back (L4-S1) also work related. Have had epederals in lower back for sciatica. I was an active boy in my youth...lol!
Whew....all that being said I get great pumps and incredible results with hammer strength equipment and started doing rowing machine working up to 5 mins. Not getting the isolation that I desire tho.
I abdolutley will NOT do free weights any longer as im pretty beat up.
I dont hit legs at gym as i have bad arthritis in right knee (Work related) but i cardio walk hills around my house 2.5 mi 6 days a week.
Ok.....lower back suggestions for cables?
I googled some stuff today but didnt find what i wanted

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

bigfred32

I checked out youtube after i saw your link. Plus after I posted this saw a thread by Nelson on some excersises for specific muscle groups. I have a couple good ideas for some cable good morning routines that i will try tomarrow. Will see how they feel

PAUL-E

having some personal knowledge and experience with back issues myself I wouldn't recommend doing heavy deadlifts but slow controlled ones also make Shure you do hip stretches but reverse hyper would be my recommendation

warrior1

Find a good trainer in your area, one that has solid reputation and years of experience. Maybe get a referral from a PT in your area?

maxadvance

I can't think of a better exercise to do than moderate weight deadlifts for the lower back. Even if it's only 135lbs. If you want to take your knee out of the equation then do Romanian deadlifts.

warrior1

I can't think of a better exercise to do than moderate weight deadlifts for the lower back. Even if it's only 135lbs. If you want to take your knee out of the equation then do Romanian deadlifts.

caution when prscribing exercises for the masses, you dont know the extent of his injuries etc. again, as a trainer for 26yrs. I ve learned a few things.

cspringer514

I might try to take time doing this kind of exercise everyday. I must! I am experiencing lower back pain from lack of exercise and sitting the whole day.

trt4me

Some gyms will have a machine that mimics hyper extensions. Benefit is that you can go as lights as you want.
I like hyper extensions. Light deadlifts for reps are good as also core work.
Deads can be done using a smith machine. I wouldn't nix free weights since it's up to you how to use them, people get hurt from too heavy weight and bad form.

Issue is how much can your back take as far as injurys. Usually neglecting to work the area at all and going nuts like heavy deads are a mistake.

canatct

Reverse Hyper.
I injured my back years ago and tried everything short of surgery for almost 2 years. Physical therapy and chiropractors did nothing for me. I bought a Louie Simmons reverse hyper like the one in the video (except mine has the strap), and it did more for my back than any Dr. With Louie's advise I was able to rehab my back and for the dozen or so years since it has been the only exercise I do for low back.

PAUL-E

Reverse Hyper.
I injured my back years ago and tried everything short of surgery for almost 2 years. Physical therapy and chiropractors did nothing for me. I bought a Louie Simmons reverse hyper like the one in the video (except mine has the strap), and it did more for my back than any Dr. With Louie's advise I was able to rehab my back and for the dozen or so years since it has been the only exercise I do for low back.
there expensive but you can build your own and save $$$
Workout Equipment

Homemade reverse hyperextension

canatct

PAUL-E is that your homemade reverse hyper? If so, how much weight are you using?
I also purchased a Hammer Strength ISO row and a couple other pieces to work my lats without putting too much stress on my lower back. Hammer makes some great stuff!
Another piece that has helped strengthen my lower back is a safety squat bar. The add says it doesn't force you to lean but I wear Adidas Adipower shoes with a 3/4" effective heel and it does cause me to lean forward some, which has helped strengthen my lower back. But I also squat narrow stance with toes more forward than out. It's just my personal preference.
Crepinsek Strength Equipment/Specialized Bars

I also have 2 belt squats.
1 from Ironmind and 1 from Spud.
These are also good for working quads without hurting your lower back.

They're also great for working calves.

Guided_by_Voices

I highly recommend anyone dealing with low back issues read Stu McGill's book Low Back Disorders. I had major back problems last years and it was a huge help. Getting an inversion table and eliminating as many of the things that were causing the pain as I could (many of which I was unaware were causing problems but which the book helped me identify) are the two biggest things I have found to help.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me