Effect of Supplements on Endurance Exercise in the Older Population: Systematic Review

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Background:

Aging is associated with changes of physical and physiological parameters, but there is evidence that regular physical activity could minimize these effects. Additionally, the older population presents a great risk of suboptimal nutrition. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to review the evidence of nutritional strategies and endurance exercises in the older population. Methods: A systematic review was performed based on the preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analysis (PRISMA) statement. The search was carried out in three different databases: PubMed, Web of Science, and SPORTDiscus.

Results: Eight studies were included in the present review. The use of caffeine and beta-alanine supplementation with proteins have been found to be beneficial in both sexes. In older women, a balanced diet, an increase in protein, supplementation with beta hydroxy methyl butyrate, and supplementation with sodium bicarbonate have been favorable. However, no benefit has been seen in older men with sodium bicarbonate or ubiquinone supplementation. Nevertheless, the use of supplements should be prescribed according to individual characteristics and physical activity.

Conclusions: Caffeine and high protein supplement with beta-alanine may provide positive effects in the older population. In addition, in older women, bicarbonate supplementation and beta-hydroxyethyl butyrate (HMB), lysine, and arginine supplementation have shown positive effects on exercise performance.
Keywords: diet; nutritional supplements; physical activity; older adults

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

fifty

Nice article. What's everyone's thoughts on HMB? I remember a long time ago it was thought too expensive or of questionable value (or a combination of both).

Guided_by_Voices

My understanding is that he only studies to ever show HMB to be a (small) benefit were all conducted by a few labs with ties to the makers of HMB. There is a huge number of better and cheaper alternatives. For example, for $15 you can get basic BFR bands that will almost certainly be of far greater benefit.

JohnTaylorHK

I think HMB is not that great.
This is quite a comprehensive metastudy. After first reading, I remain amazed that (a) we still know so little definitively about aging and (b) many studies produce conflicting conclusions possibly due to conflicting biases and lack of rigor in their methods. My own conclusion is that eating real foods and intensive exercise show real benefits to all age groups, and that some supplements work to address root cause issues with some individuals.

sammmy

I am an aging male and here is a 'meta-search' from my medical diary about supplements/drugs that have given me more endurance than my usual level, for working out:

Cordyceps
Lion’s Mane
Boron (300mg Borax/day)
Arimistane
Beta Ecdysterone (Cyanotis Vaga extract, 900-1800mg/day)
Clomiphene Citrate
Ostarine
Oxandrolone

GreenMachineX

Where do you get that ecdysterone?
I’ve basically been using cyclodextrin ecdy for the past year straight (only a couple weeks here or there off), and according to my bloodwork, no negative impact on anything androgens typically do. But the positives are amazing, increased strength/power/endurance, and reduced low e2 symptoms. My sensitive e2 without it naturally is 15-17, and high 20’s with it (at 1 cap, 2 caps increases to 37, but 1 is sufficient for me). It makes the difference between heart palpitations making me want to go to the ER vs. shrugging them off. It’s life changing for me. TRT is good, but this is phenomenal. The only side effect is the increased e2 brings a little more water retention, but it’s the amount of water retention I should have with normal levels.

sammmy

The only one I tried is Beta Ecdysterone by Sports Food Nutrition, the version without the Tribulus. I bought it on Amazon but they don't seem to sell it there anymore. It requires a high dose 900-1800mg/day (3-6 capsules/day) to feel an effect and is not '95% pure beta ecdysterone' as such supplements typically claim but a herbal extract from Cyanotis Vaga. In the study attached below they actually found that the supplement they used was only 6% ecdysterone. Pure beta ecdysterone should be white crystal powder and should work at much lower doses.

Where do you get your cyclodextrin ecdysterone? Supposedly cyclodextrin enhances absorption.

Beta Ecdysterone is acting on the Estrogen receptor so it is not like the other anabolics:

Attachments

• Ecdysterone and Leucine increase muscle mass when combined with training 2019.pdf
    883.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

GreenMachineX

The only one I tried is Beta Ecdysterone by Sports Food Nutrition, the version without the Tribulus. I bought it on Amazon but they don't seem to sell it there anymore. It requires a high dose 900-1800mg/day (3-6 capsules/day) to feel an effect and is not '95% pure beta ecdysterone' as such supplements typically claim but a herbal extract from Cyanotis Vaga. In the study attached below they actually found that the supplement they used was only 6% ecdysterone. Pure beta ecdysterone should be white crystal powder and should work at much lower doses.

Where do you get your cyclodextrin ecdysterone? Supposedly cyclodextrin enhances absorption.

Beta Ecdysterone is acting on the Estrogen receptor so it is not like the other anabolics:
I use Iron Forged Nutrition Ecdy Ultra. They claim Ecdysterone hydroxypropyl-B-cyclodextrin complex 400mg per cap. I get mine from TGBSupplements. It’s not cheap, but I don’t care. Like I said, life changing for me.

GreenMachineX

FWIW guys, this is all n=1 and I don’t know anyone else who’s tried it (except my wife, but I’m not really even sure of her experience). But please do report back with all experience! Confirm or deny if I’ve been placeboed

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me