Does supplements that contain FLAXSEED OIL raise or affect E2 or aromatase?

Buy Lab Tests Online

fmalianos

I read an article on another site which was making it seem like flaxseed raises estrogen in men similar to claims on soy. is this true?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

croaker24

Yes, Flax Seed is an estrogen mimic just like Soy.

Men don't need these...

I've eaten ground flaxseed every day for the health benefits for over 2 years. My estradiol has not shot up, nor have I developed man-boobs. Initially worried about the rumors of the estrogenic impacts, I've not found any real evidence that it is a problem for men. In fact, I would say the contrary - flaxseed has a lot of health benefits.

Check out for example, Peak Testosterone: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Flaxseed_Benefits.aspx
Or WHFoods -- http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=144

In short - I don't buy the estrogenic argument.

Last edited:

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
I've eaten ground flaxseed every day for the health benefits for over 2 years. My estradiol has not shot up, nor have I developed man-boobs. Initially worried about the rumors of the estrogenic impacts, I've not found any real evidence that it is a problem for men. In fact, I would say the contrary - flaxseed has a lot of health benefits.

Check out for example, Peak Testosterone: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Flaxseed_Benefits.aspx
Or WHFoods -- http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=144

In short - I don't buy the estrogenic argument.

Like everything else we're all different. Just because it didn't effect you doesn't mean it won't effect another man.

Middle aged men and older tend to have higher E2 levels just due to slowing of the androgen pathway...it's normal.

Do your research on Phytoestrogens and how they act as a endogenous estrogen mimic see what you come up with.

They are super abundant in flaxseed and soy, have chemical structures resembling those of endogenous estrogens and have been shown in many studies to exert hormonal effects, thereby affecting chronic diseases.

I will admit it's controversial, but to play it on the safe side for those with elevated E2 both of these supplements may make matters worse so it's just a good idea to stay away from them...there are other things you can take in place that might not have these side effects.

Dr. John Crisler has a lot on this topic as well.

fmalianos

Like everything else we're all different. Just because it didn't effect you doesn't mean it won't effect another man.

Middle aged men and older tend to have higher E2 levels just due to slowing of the androgen pathway...it's normal.

Do your research on Phytoestrogens and how they act as a endogenous estrogen mimic see what you come up with.

They are super abundant in flaxseed and soy, have chemical structures resembling those of endogenous estrogens and have been shown in many studies to exert hormonal effects, thereby affecting chronic diseases.

I will admit it's controversial, but to play it on the safe side for those with elevated E2 both of these supplements may make matters worse so it's just a good idea to stay away from them...there are other things you can take in place that might not have these side effects.

Dr. John Crisler has a lot on this topic as well.

yeah im just gonna stay on the safe side because I just started TRT @125mg per week 6weeks ago and my E2 levels were at 67 (sensitive). so im trying to stay away from anything that will affect my estrogen levels. im currently on anastrazole .25mg x3 per week.

Thanks Gene :)
ps im 35yrs old

croaker24

Then stop speaking in absolutes Gene. You do it all the time and get a pass because of your status here.

I hate to say this - but I agree somewhat. Don't get me wrong - I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Gene, Nelson, etc; the guys who run this site and spend so much of their time helping folks. However, I'm a born skeptic, and I don't believe anything anyone tells me at face value - no matter who it is.

I just do not buy the flaxseed thing. Just have not seen anything of solid evidence, all I've seen are assumptions or extrapolations.

Gene is correct on that people are different. I have read of increasing evidence for genetic tendencies that can determine how one reacts to food. Some guys can eat a ton of fat and not gain much weight - their genetics allow them to do so. Some can't. How about the guys who cannot lower their cholesterol no matter what diet they are on?

That is a big reason why I do not believe in the "The One True Holy Diet" (low-carb, vegan, low-fat, Paleo, etc.) Go read evolutionary biology in detail - and ignore the Cult propagandists such as Dr Greger, Taubes, Dr Davis, etc. All too often they resort to cheap fear-mongering.

But making any type of statement that any whole food is "bad" in for everyone is a subjective opinion that requires strong evidence. When it comes to nutrition - I really think the evidence in general is fairly weak. Which is why we get all these contradictions. Double-blind studies are expensive. Meta-analysis studies are generally intended to generate hypotheses for future testing - but these studies are being abused by book authors or by corporate marketing.

The lignans in flax seed act as estrogen in the body.

As has been already pointed out, every-body is different. Having said that, while some men on TRT may need, for instance, an aromatase inhibitor while on TRT, while others may not; lignans are always estrogen. Whether the bother you or not is where the distinction lies.

Gene Devine

Super Moderator
Everything I have ever read re Flax and Soy is that the Phytoestrogens in both act as an endogenous estrogen mimic just as you point out Dr. Crisler.

Whether or not they increase E2, which is always a possibility, I say men don't need them...especially those on TRT or tend to be estrogen dominant...why risk it as there are other alternative supplements.

Oh but wait, I am speaking in absolutes again given my status here LOL!

Thanks for the input Doc.

Steelballs

I have another real good reason you should consider not eating flax. I didn't make the connection for quite a while but I used to be a Kashi Crunch addict. Their cereal has a lot of flax. It's like the best cereal ever. I was very progressive, but holy cow I got really bad gas. It just got worse and worse. I hear it doesn't have that affect on everyone but if you have been eating flax and you have gas, stop. Your gas will end. Just look up gas and Kashi you will be surprised.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me