Does supplementation with B vitamins in people with higher levels of homocysteine reduce heart attack and stroke?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
Studies of the general population have suggested that high homocysteine levels are associated with cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. In chronic kidney disease, homocysteine levels rise, and cardiovascular risk increases with declining kidney function. While some studies in this population have found an association between elevated homocysteine and cardiovascular risk, others have noted that this association is largely attenuated by adjustment for kidney function, and several studies of patients with kidney failure have found that lower homocysteine levels predict mortality.
Homocysteine levels can be lowered with folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12. Three large, randomized, controlled trials of patients with pre-existing cardiovascular disease and two smaller, randomized, controlled trials of patients with kidney failure failed to detect any cardiovascular benefit from homocysteine-lowering vitamins. Several more interventional trials are ongoing, but the available data thus far do not support screening for or treatment of hyperhomocysteinemia.

Homocysteine lowering and cardiovascular disease risk: Lost in translation

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Golfboy307

Vince,

Thanks so much for posting this article. I am MTHFR positive and am currently on B vitamin therapy. I having lowered my homocysteine levels from > 15.0 to around 8.0 right now. I am still processing the studies in the article which indicate that this type of treatment may not help CV disease. (In one study it shows a 24% reduction in stroke risk). It also gives five reasons why the studies did not pick up the benefits. A lot of the patients had CKD (kidney disease) vs. my condition.

I am going to continue on my treatment plan since I feel MUCH better with sound B vitamin levels in my body. (With MTHRF, the body does not process B vitamins well without a methyl compound added to them). I take a B multivitamin orally and B12 sublingually.

Guided_by_Voices

Note that NAC also lowers Homocystiene, along with doing a number of other good things. Also, the comment by "Stuart" in response to the Undoctored blog post is classic and something everyone should keep in mind when citing studies as evidence. That said, I agree that addressing any one factor alone is not likely to do much even if that factor is a risk.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince,

Thanks so much for posting this article. I am MTHFR positive and am currently on B vitamin therapy. I having lowered my homocysteine levels from > 15.0 to around 8.0 right now. I am still processing the studies in the article which indicate that this type of treatment may not help CV disease. (In one study it shows a 24% reduction in stroke risk). It also gives five reasons why the studies did not pick up the benefits. A lot of the patients had CKD (kidney disease) vs. my condition.

I am going to continue on my treatment plan since I feel MUCH better with sound B vitamin levels in my body. (With MTHRF, the body does not process B vitamins well without a methyl compound added to them). I take a B multivitamin orally and B12 sublingually.
I'm also MTHFR positive, I have been using methyl b vitamins for a long time now. Even before I knew I was positive.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me