Does SHBG affect the apparent half-lives of testosterone esters?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Cataceous

Super Moderator
The relative level of SHBG has a pronounced effect on serum levels of testosterone delivered via TRT. This is through the influence of SHBG on the metabolic clearance rate of testosterone. But as far as I can tell the effect on the apparent half-lives of testosterone esters is subtle at best. Is there some evidence or theory to the contrary?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Just the personal experience, a low SHBG guy is going to piss it all out rather quickly, in Dr Crisler's words. I've long held the thought that the half-life of the ester is that in which it's in an ideal, or "normal" environment, or even in a lab environment, but you add in low (or high) SHBG and I think that it does negate the half-life.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Just the personal experience, a low SHBG guy is going to piss it all out rather quickly, in Dr Crisler's words. I've long held the thought that the half-life of the ester is that in which it's in an ideal, or "normal" environment, or even in a lab environment, but you add in low (or high) SHBG and I think that it does negate the half-life.
Ok, I can see how this might be reconciled with what the basic model is saying. See if you agree: Some guys with SHBG around 50 nmol/L are injecting 100 mg of T cypionate weekly and have trough T values averaging 500 ng/dL. Another group of guys has SHBG more like 10 nmol/L and follows the same protocol, yet their average trough T value is 250 ng/dL. So the natural conclusion is that the low-SHBG guys have excreted "it all out rather quickly". And they have, relatively, because their excretion rate is double that of the higher SHBG guys.

But here's the part where I got tripped up: I was assuming the low-SHBG guys would have equal or higher peaks than the high-SHBG guys. But I don't think this is the case. It looks as though the serum testosterone curves are proportionally smaller the whole time. In this example the high-SHBG guys might peak at 1000 ng/dL while the low SHBG guys would peak at only 500 ng/dL. Thus the half lives remain the same.

I don't know if the two are the same, I might read the half-lives are how they reach a serum concentration over time but the rate of clearance is something else.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I don't know if the two are the same, I might read the half-lives are how they reach a serum concentration over time but the rate of clearance is something else.
Yes, there are really two apparent half-lives at work, one for the absorption from the injected depot, which is different for different esters and formulations. The other half-life is associated with the clearance of testosterone, and is short, from minutes to hours. What can be confusing is that the two half-lives together create the serum testosterone levels we measure. My point with this thread is that SHBG can influence the clearance half-life pretty strongly, but in our serum measurements the longer ester half-life is dominant and controls the relative amplitudes, while the clearance half-life can scale serum measurements up or down by a constant amount.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me