does PDE5 inhibitors downregulate NO production?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Gianluca

I'm considering to start a daily or most days or the week 5mg Tadalafil to help in reversing Peyronies diseases (PD), I don't have any erection issues, but to my understanding it is really important to have a "solid" erection during sex not to worsen PD. I'm 34 years old now, and I'm wondering if using 5mg Tadalafil daily, could in the long run downregulate NO production, or if it would just amplify the "normal" body's NO production?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
PDE5i enhances the effectiveness of NO.

It acts through inhibition of PDE5. PDE5 is responsible for catabolizing cGMP (cyclic GMP) and converting it into GMP. cGMP itself is part of the NO signaling pathway and activates cGMP-dependent protein kinase (PKG). PKG phosphorylates other proteins and participates in muscle relaxation [3]. One of these proteins is a charybdotoxin-sensitive K+ channel. Activation of this type of k+ channel is critical for hyperpolarization and vasorelaxation of smooth muscle cells [4]. Indeed, sildenafil collaborates with NO to preserve the high level of intracellular cGMP. Sildenafil does not inhibit generally guanylate cyclase but only the soluble guanylate cyclase. NO activates soluble guanylate cyclase and this enzyme produces cGMP to induce the remaining signaling pathway of vasodilation. The NO/cGMP signaling pathway is not limited to vasorelaxation, and scientists have found that sildenafil is involved in regulating platelet function, and synaptic transmission [5, 6].

2.2.1.1 Nitric Oxide

NO has a key role in the relaxation of HCC smooth muscle and vasculature, it is a well-consolidated concept (Burnett et al., 1993; Toda et al., 2005). NO is synthesized in the nerve terminals and in the endothelium by the action of the tissue-specific enzyme NOS, which catalyzes the production of NO and citrulline from oxygen and L-arginine. NO passively diffuses into cavernous smooth muscle cells, where it binds and activates the soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC), which catalyzes the breakdown of guanosine triphosphate into cGMP. In parallel, NANC, as reported above, plays an important role in erectile function, as they are involved in the relaxation of corpus cavernosum. Studies involving pharmacological modulation have indicated that NANC neurotransmission in the HCC muscle is nitrergic, i.e., involves NO as the major mediator (Kimura et al., 1993; Adaikan & Ng., 2000).

Screenshot (2868).png

Fig. 1. Schematic diagram of the nitric oxide signaling pathway in the penis for mediating the erection response. The diagram shows the molecular basis for erection physiology that may transition between flaccidity (erectile tissue contraction) and erection (erectile tissue relaxation) depending upon the extent of sexual stimulation. Nitric oxide is generated constitutively from L-arginine by catalysis of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and endothelial NOS localized to neurons and endothelial cells, respectively. After its release from generator cells in the penis, nitric oxide diffuses locally to corporal smooth muscle cells whereby it activates guanylate cyclase to convert 5′-guanosine triphosphate (GTP) to 3′, 5′-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). This cyclic nucleotide then exerts downstream effects resulting in penile erection. Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) degrades cGMP to its inactive form, 5′-GMP, which is subsequently reformed into GTP. A PDE5 inhibitor blocks PDE5 activity, thereby potentiating effector actions of cGMP.

2.2. Mechanism

Penile erection is a neurovascular phenomenon that requires dilation of the penile vasculature, relaxation of cavernosal smooth muscle, increased intracavernosal blood flow, and normal veno-occlusive function [9]. It is primarily mediated by the neurotransmitter nitric oxide (NO) through the cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) pathway [9]. (Figure 1)

Sexual stimulation leads to the synthesis and release of NO from nerve endings and vascular endothelial cells in the penis. NO rapidly diffuses in the corpora cavernosa and stimulates guanylyl cyclase, an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of guanosine triphosphate to cGMP. Elevated cGMP stimulates the relaxation of penile smooth muscle and a several-fold increase in arterial inflow augmented by a decrease in the venous outflow. This process is terminated by the degradation of cGMP by PDE5, an enzyme that breaks the phosphodiester bond in biological molecules, returning the penis to the flaccid state [10], (Figure 1) Notably, phosphodiesterase (PDE) is present throughout the body (Table 1) and is categorized into at least 11 different isoenzymes and 53 isoforms, with PDE5 being the most important for the penile erection process [11,12]. PDE5, which was identified by Francis et al. in 1980, contains two identical subunits and each has catalytic and regulatory domains [13].

PDE5 inhibitors, which are similar to cGMP in structure, can bind to PDE5 competitively and inhibit the degradation of cGMP. Therefore, cGMP levels remain high and facilitate the maintenance of a penile erection. It is important to recognize that PDE5 inhibitors are not erectogenic drugs. They require the release of NO from penile nerve endings and vascular endothelium under the influence of sexual stimulation in order to produce an erection [14].

4.1 | Tadalafil in MED

More than 100 million men worldwide suffer from ED whereby they fail to reach and maintain an adequate erection (Ayta, McKinlay, & Krane, 1999). Sexual stimuli induce the release of NO in the corpus cavernosum, thus increasing the production of cGMP. cGMP is hydrolyzed via PDE5, an action that is terminated by Tadalafil (2). Tadalafil allows an increase in the concentration of cGMP to allow relaxation of erectile tissues and dilatation of the corpora cavernosa arteries in patients with MED. The higher blood flow causes the engorgement of the corpora cavernosa. This engorgement diminishes penile venous outflow and causes higher penile blood pressure, resulting in a physiological erection (Figure 3) (Lincoln & Cornwell, 1991).

Figure 3 Cellular mechanisms involved in penile erection.

Screenshot (2869).png

Gianluca

PDE5i enhances the effectiveness of NO.

It acts through inhibition of PDE5. PDE5 is responsible for catabolizing cGMP (cyclic GMP) and converting it into GMP. cGMP itself is part of the NO signaling pathway and activates cGMP-dependent protein kinase (PKG). PKG phosphorylates other proteins and participates in muscle relaxation [3]. One of these proteins is a charybdotoxin-sensitive K+ channel. Activation of this type of k+ channel is critical for hyperpolarization and vasorelaxation of smooth muscle cells [4]. Indeed, sildenafil collaborates with NO to preserve the high level of intracellular cGMP. Sildenafil does not inhibit generally guanylate cyclase but only the soluble guanylate cyclase. NO activates soluble guanylate cyclase and this enzyme produces cGMP to induce the remaining signaling pathway of vasodilation. The NO/cGMP signaling pathway is not limited to vasorelaxation, and scientists have found that sildenafil is involved in regulating platelet function, and synaptic transmission [5, 6].

2.2.1.1 Nitric Oxide

NO has a key role in the relaxation of HCC smooth muscle and vasculature, it is a well-consolidated concept (Burnett et al., 1993; Toda et al., 2005). NO is synthesized in the nerve terminals and in the endothelium by the action of the tissue-specific enzyme NOS, which catalyzes the production of NO and citrulline from oxygen and L-arginine. NO passively diffuses into cavernous smooth muscle cells, where it binds and activates the soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC), which catalyzes the breakdown of guanosine triphosphate into cGMP. In parallel, NANC, as reported above, plays an important role in erectile function, as they are involved in the relaxation of corpus cavernosum. Studies involving pharmacological modulation have indicated that NANC neurotransmission in the HCC muscle is nitrergic, i.e., involves NO as the major mediator (Kimura et al., 1993; Adaikan & Ng., 2000).

View attachment 11974
Fig. 1. Schematic diagram of the nitric oxide signaling pathway in the penis for mediating the erection response. The diagram shows the molecular basis for erection physiology that may transition between flaccidity (erectile tissue contraction) and erection (erectile tissue relaxation) depending upon the extent of sexual stimulation. Nitric oxide is generated constitutively from L-arginine by catalysis of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and endothelial NOS localized to neurons and endothelial cells, respectively. After its release from generator cells in the penis, nitric oxide diffuses locally to corporal smooth muscle cells whereby it activates guanylate cyclase to convert 5′-guanosine triphosphate (GTP) to 3′, 5′-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP). This cyclic nucleotide then exerts downstream effects resulting in penile erection. Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) degrades cGMP to its inactive form, 5′-GMP, which is subsequently reformed into GTP. A PDE5 inhibitor blocks PDE5 activity, thereby potentiating effector actions of cGMP.

2.2. Mechanism

Penile erection is a neurovascular phenomenon that requires dilation of the penile vasculature, relaxation of cavernosal smooth muscle, increased intracavernosal blood flow, and normal veno-occlusive function [9]. It is primarily mediated by the neurotransmitter nitric oxide (NO) through the cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) pathway [9]. (Figure 1)

Sexual stimulation leads to the synthesis and release of NO from nerve endings and vascular endothelial cells in the penis. NO rapidly diffuses in the corpora cavernosa and stimulates guanylyl cyclase, an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of guanosine triphosphate to cGMP. Elevated cGMP stimulates the relaxation of penile smooth muscle and a several-fold increase in arterial inflow augmented by a decrease in the venous outflow. This process is terminated by the degradation of cGMP by PDE5, an enzyme that breaks the phosphodiester bond in biological molecules, returning the penis to the flaccid state [10], (Figure 1) Notably, phosphodiesterase (PDE) is present throughout the body (Table 1) and is categorized into at least 11 different isoenzymes and 53 isoforms, with PDE5 being the most important for the penile erection process [11,12]. PDE5, which was identified by Francis et al. in 1980, contains two identical subunits and each has catalytic and regulatory domains [13].

PDE5 inhibitors, which are similar to cGMP in structure, can bind to PDE5 competitively and inhibit the degradation of cGMP. Therefore, cGMP levels remain high and facilitate the maintenance of a penile erection. It is important to recognize that PDE5 inhibitors are not erectogenic drugs. They require the release of NO from penile nerve endings and vascular endothelium under the influence of sexual stimulation in order to produce an erection [14].

4.1 | Tadalafil in MED

More than 100 million men worldwide suffer from ED whereby they fail to reach and maintain an adequate erection (Ayta, McKinlay, & Krane, 1999). Sexual stimuli induce the release of NO in the corpus cavernosum, thus increasing the production of cGMP. cGMP is hydrolyzed via PDE5, an action that is terminated by Tadalafil (2). Tadalafil allows an increase in the concentration of cGMP to allow relaxation of erectile tissues and dilatation of the corpora cavernosa arteries in patients with MED. The higher blood flow causes the engorgement of the corpora cavernosa. This engorgement diminishes penile venous outflow and causes higher penile blood pressure, resulting in a physiological erection (Figure 3) (Lincoln & Cornwell, 1991).

Figure 3 Cellular mechanisms involved in penile erection.

View attachment 11975

thanks for the material, i'm going to do some studying

Gianluca

@madman I think I understand how it works now thanks, but then taking the drug long term, which downregulate the PDE5 enzyme, wouldn't actually make the body to upregulate PDE5 enzyme since it always seeks for homeostasis? therefore needing more drug in the future, or in case of stopping the drug, a reverse effect on NO, not only in the Penis but in all body? I'm sure you guys have already researched this

madman

Super Moderator
@madman I think I understand how it works now thanks, but then taking the drug long term, which downregulate the PDE5 enzyme, wouldn't actually make the body to upregulate PDE5 enzyme since it always seeks for homeostasis? therefore needing more drug in the future, or in case of stopping the drug, a reverse effect on NO, not only in the Penis but in all body? I'm sure you guys have already researched this

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching