Does iron deficiency affect glucose homeostasis?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Systemlord

I'm trying to find accurate studies on whether or not iron deficiency affects glucose management in people with diabetes.

I notice last September-October it felt like I lost the benefits of TRT and yesterday found my ferritin sitting at 24 which was a surprise to me.

My glucose and A1C became elevated out of the blue last September and am wondering if the low ferritin has something to do with it.

I've been told low ferritin can increases the half-life of red blood cells falsely elevating the A1C levels.

My hemoglobin sits at 17.1 (HCT 52%) and will steadily decline as before if I don't supplements iron. My previous iron deficiency (on TRT that time as well) had my ferritin at 24, iron at 42, MCV and MCHC below range.

I stop TRT for several months while supplementing vitamin C do to a deficiency which got my ferritin to 128 all without taking any iron supplements.

All my TRT protocols sees a remarkable reduction in glucose at first (92-134) and is dose dependant, but after 8 weeks it goes right back up into the 200 ranges while lifting weights 5 days a week and cutting out all processed foods.

I had to stop working out a few weeks ago because I was too exhausted to continue, I felt extremely lightheaded and fatigued when lifting mild to moderate loads and even tried cutting back to 3 days a week and couldn't even do 1 day a week..

I took iron this morning after reviewing the lab results and felt much better for a few hours.

So can iron deficiency without anemia cause an increase in glucose?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

gerardo

I'm trying to find accurate studies on whether or not iron deficiency affects glucose management in people with diabetes.

I notice last September-October it felt like I lost the benefits of TRT and yesterday found my ferritin sitting at 24 which was a surprise to me.

My glucose and A1C became elevated out of the blue last September and am wondering if the low ferritin has something to do with it.

I've been told low ferritin can increases the half-life of red blood cells falsely elevating the A1C levels.

My hemoglobin sits at 17.1 (HCT 52%) and will steadily decline as before if I don't supplements iron. My previous iron deficiency (on TRT that time as well) had my ferritin at 24, iron at 42, MCV and MCHC below range.

I stop TRT for several months while supplementing vitamin C do to a deficiency which got my ferritin to 128 all without taking any iron supplements.

All my TRT protocols sees a remarkable reduction in glucose at first (92-134) and is dose dependant, but after 8 weeks it goes right back up into the 200 ranges while lifting weights 5 days a week and cutting out all processed foods.

I had to stop working out a few weeks ago because I was too exhausted to continue, I felt extremely lightheaded and fatigued when lifting mild to moderate loads and even tried cutting back to 3 days a week and couldn't even do 1 day a week..

I took iron this morning after reviewing the lab results and felt much better for a few hours.

So can iron deficiency without anemia cause an increase in glucose?

Thanks.
With hematocrit 52 and ferritin 24 are you able to continue TRT? It is difficult to have a phlebotomy at this level. When this happened to me, the hematologist asked for the investigation for polycythemia vera mutation of the JAK2 gene. I was so worried that I stopped everything.

Systemlord

With hematocrit 52 and ferritin 24 are you able to continue TRT?
Yes, I just started iron supplements today. Stopping TRT with the state of my diabetes would be a disaster for my health.

I should mention I have not done any sort of blood donation in the last 12 months.

gerardo

Yes, I just started iron supplements today. Stopping TRT with the state of my diabetes would be a disaster for my health.

I should mention I have not done any sort of blood donation in the last 12 months.
This is very interesting. Perform TRT with hematocrit 52 and still do iron replacement. Could you share how you supplement iron and keep the hematocrit at this level?

Systemlord

This is very interesting. Perform TRT with hematocrit 52 and still do iron replacement. Could you share how you supplement iron and keep the hematocrit at this level?
At the moment I only have iron deficiency without anemia, so hematocrit and hemoglobin haven't had a chance to decline yet, but given enough time without intervention they will as they did before.

Last edited:

Neckbeard

When you are lightheaded during lifting, is it through the whole session? Could your blood sugar be crashing during the workout?

I have been experiencing light headedness on and off for 4-5 years and it seems to happen after a workout, but can happen anytime. I have monitored my bs on and off and get readings in the morning between 105-120. I'm hoping it is just dawn phenomenon bc I do a low carb/ketoish diet most of the time.

I've been on trt for 5 weeks now and haven't seen any relief from my dizziness, but am hopeful.

I've also been curious about b12 deficiency.

Charliebizz

Have have no idea about it effecting glucose. But trt lowers my ferritin a huge amount. I've been on and off trt a few times. This time around my ferritin went from 157 down to 51 in a year

Systemlord

When you are lightheaded during lifting, is it through the whole session?
Yes and my muscles would get sore 3 days after my intense workout, even then it was mild and it felt like I was spinning my wheels.

The first iron supplement I took I would get really sore after doing light duty chores around the house or even carrying a bike up the stairs which only takes seconds and got me more sore than weight lifting for 45 minutes 4-5 days a week.

If my ferritin and iron are below range, it's like TRT doesn't work at all. I don't feel anything from the shots. I get slightly dizzy at trough on new protocols and believe it to be the big fluctuations that occur before reaching a stable state.

Another thing, I don't feel like trash after eating since I started iron supplementation.

But trt lowers my ferritin a huge amount. I've been on and off trt a few times. This time around my ferritin went from 157 down to 51 in a year

I stopped TRT for 8 months to get my ferritin and iron up to 128, then restarted TRT and within 6 months symptoms came back and ferritin is at 24.

Last edited:

Charliebizz

Yes and my muscles would get sore 3 days after my intense workout, even then it was mild and it felt like I was spinning my wheels.

The first iron supplement I took I would get really sore after doing light duty chores around the house or even carrying a bike up the stairs which only takes seconds and got me more sore than weight lifting for 45 minutes 4-5 days a week.

If my ferritin and iron are below range, it's like TRT doesn't work at all. I don't feel anything from the shots. I get slightly dizzy at trough on new protocols and believe it to be the big fluctuations that occur before reaching a stable state.

Another thing, I don't feel like trash after eating since I started iron supplementation.

I stopped TRT for 8 months to get my ferritin and iron up to 128, then restarted TRT and within 6 months symptoms came back and ferritin is at 24.
Just another reason I find it hard to stay on trt. Just way to many things to manage for such minimal benefits for me personally.

gerardo

Your opinion. If the hematocrit is high 52, how would you do the iron replacement and continue with TRT with a ferritin of 24?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me