Doc started me on HCG Mono - low SHBG

Buy Lab Tests Online

aw32t

]My Family Doc is ready to offer me TRT but I was hesitant given my age (32). He said we could try a round of HCG Mono to "jump start" my system. I just finished my second week of HCG - 1,000 its every 72 hours.

I've been experiencing low T symptoms since my early 20s - biggest symptom being low libido. I asked my previous doctor if I could have my levels checked when I was 24. He reluctantly tested total T. Came back at 390 ng/dl which he said was completely normal and I had nothing to worry about. I did not do any of my own research at the time and just believed him. Had my levels checked in May. Total T was 312 ng/dl (264-916) and Free T was 15.2 pg/ml (8.7-25.1). I told him I wanted additional labs to determine if I was Primary or Secondary before jumping on treatment.

I ended up ordering labs myself since my high deductible insurance plan wasn't helping at all with cost of additional labs. Here are my results from the June test:

• TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL, MS 411 (250-1100 ng/dL)
  • TESTOSTERONE, FREE 73.0 (35.0-155.0 pg/mL)
  • SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN 16 (10-50 nmol/L)
  • PROLACTIN 6.6 (2.0-18.0 ng/mL)
  • ESTRADIOL 28 (< OR = 39 pg/mL)
  • FSH 3.1 (1.6-8.0 mIU/mL)
  • LH 2.9 (1.5-9.3 mIU/mL)
  • DHEA SULFATE 334 (106-464 mcg/dL)
  • CORTISOL, A.M. 11.2 (4.0-22.0 mcg/dL)
  • HEMOGLOBIN A1c 5.1 ( <5.7 % of total Hgb)
  • TSH 1.69 (0.40-4.50 mIU/L)
  • T4, FREE 1.4 (0.8-1.8 ng/dL)
  • T3, FREE 3.9 (2.3-4.2 pg/mL)
  • T3 UPTAKE 34 (22-35 %)
  • T4 (THYROXINE), 8.5 (4.9-10.5 mcg/dL)
  • TOTAL FREE T4 INDEX (T7) 2.9 (1.4-3.8)
  • INSULIN 3.3 (< or = 19.6 uIU/mL)
  • PSA, TOTAL 1.0 (< OR = 4.0 ng/mL)
  • VITAMIN D, 25-OH, TOTAL 63 (30-100 ng/mL)
  • GROWTH HORMONE (GH) <0.1 (<=7.1 ng/mL)
  • IGF 1, LC/MS 155 (53-331 ng/mL)
  • Z SCORE (MALE) 0.1 (-2.0 - +2.0 SD)
I'm not sure why my Total T jumped 100 ng/dL from May. May test was taken at 9:48 am. June test collected at 9:17 am. No lifestyle changes between the test.

I am 5'8" 190lbs. Probably 17% body fat. Pretty muscular build (not overweight: ). I live a very active lifestyle. I perform HIIT and weightlifting 4 days a week. I have a healthy diet. I sleep around 7 hours each night. Biggest symptoms are low libido, brain fog, trouble concentrating, general lack of motivation to get anything done. I take vitamin D, Creatine, multivitamin, and recently started Tongkat Ali. I also had a CMP14 run and results look normal.

Low normal FSH and LH show most likely Secondary. Lower SHBG. Do you guys think I'd be a candidate for TRT? Should I suggest a round of low dose Clomid to my Doc to kickstart the system? Grateful for the collective wisdom here.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

AdamYoung

I personally think ur not the candidate for TRT as ur test is normal. You can try clomid or other alternatives to see if it makes any difference. If you feel good then u can go for trt.
You LH n FSH is low normal bcas ur hypothalamus thinks that u have adequate testosterone in the blood.

fifty

HCG to jump start your system? More like cause temporary suppression of your own production.

Last edited:

Systemlord

He said we could try a round of HCG Mono to "jump start" my system.

This may get your testes producing more T, but HCG will suppress your HPTA/natural production. So you're not really jumpstarting your natural production 100 percent. If you were to use clomid it won't suppress your natural production, but you may not feel symptom relief.

Clomid success hinges on how it is prescribed and sadly not all docs are willing to experiment with microdosing or even dosing it 3-4 days apart.

Came back at 390 ng/dl which he said was completely normal and I had nothing to worry about.
Normal is very individual, try grouping everyone into the same reference ranges (below midrange) and you will have some men who aren't symptomatic and some that are, after all our DNA isn't the same.

Your testosterone levels will naturally fluctuate day to day and won't always be the same even on the TRT, HCG and clomid.

The low libido could be caused by many things.

Things that affect libido:
  • Obesity
  • High blood pressure
  • Diabetes
  • Poor sleep
  • Medications
  • Stress/depression
  • Low testosterone
  • Infections
  • High prolactin
  • Low thyroid hormones
  • Alcohol & drugs