DHEA improves thyroid function in men with autoimmune hypothyroidism- Hashimoto's

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Impact of dehydroepiandrosterone on thyroid autoimmunity and function in men with autoimmune hypothyroidism
Robert Krysiak · Witold Szkróbka · Bogusław Okopień

Abstract

Background
Testosterone administration was found to have a protective effect on thyroid autoimmunity in men with autoimmune (Hashimoto’s) thyroiditis.

Objective The present study was aimed at assessing whether oral dehydroepiandrosterone affects thyroid autoimmunity and hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis activity in men with subclinical hypothyroidism induced by Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.

Setting The study was conducted at the Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland.

Method The study enrolled 32 elderly men with autoimmune hypothyroidism and low dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate levels. Based on patient preference, the participants either received oral dehydroepiandrosterone (50 mg daily; n=16) or remained untreated (n=16). Apart from measuring antibody titers and hormone levels, we calculated the baseline and post-treatment values of three structure parameters of thyroid homeostasis.

Main outcome measure Serum titers of thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies.

Results At baseline, there were no significant differences in the investigated parameters between both groups of men. All participants completed the study. Oral dehydroepiandrosterone increased dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and testosterone levels, as well as had a neutral effect on estradiol levels. The increase in dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate correlated with treatment-induced changes in serum testosterone. Moreover, dehydroepiandrosterone reduced titers of thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies decreased serum thyrotropin levels, reduced Jostel’s thyrotropin index as well as increased thyroid’s secretory capacity. Treatment-induced changes in thyroid antibody titers, thyrotropin levels, Jostel’s thyrotropin index, and thyroid’s secretory capacity correlated with the increase in dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate and testosterone levels.

Conclusion The obtained results show that exogenous dehydroepiandrosterone may exert a beneficial effect on thyroid autoimmunity and hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis activity in men with autoimmune thyroiditis and subclinical hypothyroidism.

Introduction

Autoimmune or Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, the commonest cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries and the most prevalent organ-specific autoimmune disease worldwide is characterized by a strong female preponderance,
suggesting an important role of sex hormones in its development [1, 2].
In line with this hypothesis, men with high values of the estradiol: testosterone ratio were more prone to the development of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis than men with low values of this ratio [3], men with thyroid hypofunction secondary in the majority of cases to autoimmune thyroid disease had low circulating testosterone levels [4], while the age of onset of autoimmune thyroiditis was determined by the (CAG)n repeat polymorphism of the androgen receptor [5]. Recently, we have found that testosterone therapy of men with impaired activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis reduced thyroid antibody titers [6], while the opposite effect was exerted by spironolactone, a drug with multidirectional antiandrogenic properties [7]. The impact of exogenous testosterone and spironolactone on thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb) and thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb), considered the biological hallmark of autoimmune thyroiditis [1, 2], correlated with treatment-induced changes in circulating testosterone levels [6, 7]. Unlike testosterone, much less is known about the impact on thyroid autoimmunity of adrenal precursors of androgens. In animal models of autoimmune disorders, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), the main product of the adrenal zona reticularis and the most abundant circulating steroid presents in the human body, suppressed expression of various proinflammatory cytokines and blunted both Th1 and Th2 immunological responses [8]. Women with elevated levels of TPOAb and TgAb were characterized by lower circulating levels of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) than women seronegative for thyroid antibodies [9, 10]. Exogenous DHEA administered to women with autoimmune thyroiditis coexisting with premature ovarian failure reduced titers of TPOAb [10]. No analogous study has been conducted in men.

Results

At baseline, both groups were comparable with respect to age, body mass index, smoking and drinking habits, hormone levels, antibody titers, all calculated parameters of thyroid homeostasis, and the estimated glomerular filtration rate (Table 1). Because DHEA treatment was well tolerated, all participants completed the study and were included in the statistical analyses. In untreated patients, serum antibody titers, hormone levels, and all structure parameters of thyroid homeostasis remained at similar levels throughout the study.
Expectedly, oral DHEA increased circulating levels of DHEA-S and testosterone. Moreover, DHEA reduced titers of thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies, decreased serum thyrotropin levels, reduced Jostel’s thyrotropin index as well as increased SPINA-GT. The drug has a neutral effect on circulating levels of free thyroxine, free triiodothyronine, and estradiol, as well as on SPINA-GD and the estimated glomerular filtration rate (Table 2). Both study groups differed in post-treatment values of DHEA-S, testosterone, thyroid antibody titers, thyrotropin levels, Jostel’s thyrotropin index, and SPINA-GT (Table 2).

Discussion

The present study enrolled elderly men with mild autoimmune thyroid hypofunction. A relatively narrow age range helped to obtain two relatively homogenous groups of patients. The prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis in men is growing worldwide [14]. Hypothyroidism occurs more often in elderly patients [15], and these patients are often treated with levothyroxine. However, levothyroxine interacts with or its absorption is affected by many drugs commonly used by the geriatric population, including anticoagulants, antidiabetics, antidepressants, sympathomimetics, cardiac glycosides, ß-blockers, anti-arrhythmic, anti-convulsants, some statins, antacids, proton pump inhibitors, calcium salts, cimetidine and oral iron [16]. Moreover, the risk of levothyroxine intolerance increases with age [17]. Therefore, levothyroxine does not seem to be an ideal drug for elderly patients with mild thyroid hypofunction. Theoretically, DHEA may be an interesting alternative because in men over the age of 40, secretion of adrenal androgens progressively declines, often reaching very low or negligible levels in the elderly [18].

Conclusion

Six-month treatment of elderly men with autoimmune thyroiditis with oral DHEA led to a decrease in serum titers of TPOAb and TgAb, as well as partially normalized hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis activity.
The beneficial effect of exogenous DHEA correlated with baseline titers of thyroid antibodies and with treatment-induced increases in DHEA-S and testosterone. The obtained results indicate that DHEA alleviates thyroid autoimmunity and improves thyroid function in the studied population of men. Owing to study limitations, our findings need to verify in larger clinical trials.

Attachments

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Impacts on practice

Exogenous dehydroepiandrosterone reduces thyroid antibody titers in men with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis

The beneficial effect on thyroid autoimmunity is accompanied by the improvement in thyroid function

Dehydroepiandrosterone treatment may bring benefits to men with autoimmune hypothyroidism

madman

Super Moderator
Table 1 Baseline characteristics of patients
Screenshot (2782).png

madman

Super Moderator
Table 2 The effect of oral dehydroepiandrosterone on thyroid antibody titers, hormones, thyroid function tests and estimated glomerular filtration rate in elderly men with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
Screenshot (2784).png

Screenshot (2785).png

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Pretty misleading. DHEA reduced antibodies but they are still present in large amounts. Why not treat these men the way they should be treated! I wonder if they signed a consent form.

sammmy

It seems that DHEA is immuno-suppressive. Of course they don't call it that since it sounds bad but at least could offer some explanation why.

Many common anti-oxidants that are advertised as 'anti-inflammatory' are actually immuno-suppressive: Quercetin, Gluthation, Glutamine, Milk Thistle extracts ....

GreenMachineX

It seems that DHEA is immuno-suppressive. Of course they don't call it that since it sounds bad but at least could offer some explanation why.

Many common anti-oxidants that are advertised as 'anti-inflammatory' are actually immuno-suppressive: Quercetin, Gluthation, Glutamine, Milk Thistle extracts ....
Isn't inflammation part of the immune response though, and to which we want controlled response? For example, cytokine storm is immune system gone wild, and that's why steroids are being given for those patients?

sammmy

Steroids are given to patients in the second week of covid infection, if it goes bad i.e. the immune system fails to contain the infection and there is a cytokine storm.

I don't think anyone gives steroids in the first week because that would impede the job of the immune system.

Anti-inflammatories do not have the potency of steroids and it is not clear if they are beneficial in the beginning of infection or during cytokine storm.

There is this unresolved argument should covid patients take Ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory in Advil) for example.

T

tareload

Anyone had luck using stanozolol for the cytokine storm complications with COVID (bradykinin, etc.)?

T

tareload

BTW, I've tried everything short of removing my thyroid gland with a spoon to reduce my thyroglobulin antibodies given my Hashimoto's...selenium, DHEA, testosterone, host of anti-inflammatory supplements etc.

They seem to only keep going up :).

But aspirin 325 mg/day does significantly drop my Hct. It may destroy my gut but my blood viscosity will be a-ok. Not many providers are aware of this and the rodent literature from what I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
BTW, I've tried everything short of removing my thyroid gland with a spoon to reduce my thyroglobulin antibodies given my Hashimoto's...selenium, DHEA, testosterone, host of anti-inflammatory supplements etc.
Thyroid RX has not helped bring antibodies down? Sorry if I missed this since I am sure you explained.

sammmy

Aspirin is unique in the NSAID class. There are studies a low daily dose of 125mg reduces reactivation of Herpes virus in people with recurrent cold sores.

sammmy

Have you tried Pure Encapsulation Selenium (Selenomethionine)?

I see quite a few Amazon reviews claiming it helped them with Hashimoto: Amazon reviews

GreenMachineX

They seem to only keep going up :).

But aspirin 325 mg/day does significantly drop my Hct. It may destroy my gut but my blood viscosity will be a-ok. Not many providers are aware of this and the rodent literature from what I can tell.

Good find!!! Maybe it's time I add aspirin back in!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me