Determining Primary vs Secondary after TRT

Buy Lab Tests Online

blinblaugh

Hey guys,

I'd like to determine if I am primary or secondary hypogonadic. Unfortunately, the blood work I had done pre-trt were very minimal and only show TT. Of course, my current blood work shows my LH, FSH, etc. are near zero. Is there a way I can determine if I am primary or secondary without going off T? If I have to go off T to determine how long would I need to go off?

Thanks!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

Low LH is secondary, high LH is primary. Secondary hypogonadism is the most common type of testosterone deficiency.

I don't see the point to stop TRT just out of curiosity, either way you need TRT.

blinblaugh

Low LH is secondary, high LH is primary. Secondary hypogonadism is the most common type of testosterone deficiency.

I don't see the point to stop TRT just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I know LH indicates primary/secondary. The problem is while on TRT LH is artificially low regardless. I am looking for a way to determine after being on TRT for some time.

captain

No you just add HCG and TT should go up if your secondary. If your labs are in 500-600 before I would think HCG would put you at 800-1000. I don't know this I am guessing this would be a way to test without stopping TRT.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
No you just add HCG and TT should go up if your secondary. If your labs are in 500-600 before I would think HCG would put you at 800-1000. I don't know this I am guessing this would be a way to test without stopping TRT.
I think this would work. The main issues are what doses and how long you'd need to do it. That is, how long does it take the testicles to ramp up T production after they've been shut down?

captain

I don't know I would guess it wouldn't take long. I am sure it's on this site some place about a stimulation test. I remember it used to be talked about at one time. I think it was Dr. Shippen HCG stimulation test.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I don't know I would guess it wouldn't take long. I am sure it's on this site some place about a stimulation test. I remember it used to be talked about at one time. I think it was Dr. Shippen HCG stimulation test.
I expect numbers would be somewhat different because the usual stimulation test doesn't start with complete HPTA shutdown; normally there's at least some testicular activity, so if I'm remembering right, all it takes is a couple large doses of hCG and a few days.

blinblaugh

This is all good information. Thanks for all the replies. I can probably get a baseline blood test then take HCG and see if testosterone production increases. If so, then I can assume secondary. Sound right?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
This is all good information. Thanks for all the replies. I can probably get a baseline blood test then take HCG and see if testosterone production increases. If so, then I can assume secondary. Sound right?
Sounds right to me. You just have to give it a decent amount of time (weeks?) since we're not sure how long it takes to ramp up testosterone production in atrophied testicles.

KenLowT

I don't see the point to stop TRT just out of curiosity, either way you need TRT.
Really, so based on this, what in the world am I?
My LH was 6.7 (1.5-9.3). Mines somewhere in the middle.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Really, so based on this, what in the world am I?
My LH was 6.7 (1.5-9.3). Mines somewhere in the middle.
Low T and this LH level would be ambiguous. It's possible the test happened to catch a pulse, and typical readings would be lower, pointing to the more common secondary hypogonadism. But if LH is always this or higher then that would hint at testicular insufficiency. Even in clearer cases LH measurements are not supposed to be the final word. For that you perform the hCG stimulation test.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me