Creatine Supplementation Improves Aging Muscle, Bone and Inflammation

Buy Lab Tests Online

Will Brink

Hot off the presses, a great review on more general health/anti aging benefits of creatine as it applies directly to aging:

Review

Effectiveness of Creatine Supplementation on Aging Muscle and Bone: Focus on Falls Prevention and Inflammation

J. Clin. Med. 2019, 8(4), 488; doi: 10.3390/jcm8040488

Abstract:

Sarcopenia, defined as the age-related decrease in muscle mass, strength and physical performance, is associated with reduced bone mass and elevated low-grade inflammation. From a healthy aging perspective, interventions which overcome sarcopenia are clinically relevant. Accumulating evidence suggests that exogenous creatine supplementation has the potential to increase aging muscle mass, muscle performance, and decrease the risk of falls and possibly attenuate inflammation and loss of bone mineral. Therefore, the purpose of this review is to:

(1) summarize the effects of creatine supplementation, with and without resistance training, in aging adults and discuss possible mechanisms of action,
(2) examine the effects of creatine on bone biology and risk of falls,
(3) evaluate the potential anti-inflammatory effects of creatine and
(4) determine the safety of creatine supplementation in aging adults.

Source:

Effectiveness of Creatine Supplementation on Aging Muscle and Bone: Focus on Falls Prevention and Inflammation

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Will Brink

And maybe it´s not that good for the kindy if CK is constantly elevated?

CK and creatinine are two different things. CK is a liver enzyme.

Whatever a supplement with creatine it gives me a high reading of Creatinine. Then of course my doctor thinks there's something wrong with my kidneys. :(

Yes, that can happen in some. Generally, you take 2-3 weeks off from the creatine, and re test, and 99% of the time, all is normal, which indicates to the doc there's not a kidney issue. If the levels remained elevated, then the doc would likely move onto more direct measures of kidney function, such as GFR and such, as they should.

There are contraindications for creatine as there is for anything. See:

Creatine Contraindications | BrinkZone.com

From the paper linked in the OP, see also section 7: Safety of Creatine for Aging Adults

Vince

Super Moderator
CK and creatinine are two different things. CK is a liver enzyme.

Yes, that can happen in some. Generally, you take 2-3 weeks off from the creatine, and re test, and 99% of the time, all is normal, which indicates to the doc there's not a kidney issue. If the levels remained elevated, then the doc would likely move onto more direct measures of kidney function, such as GFR and such, as they should.

There are contraindications for creatine as there is for anything. See:

Creatine Contraindications | BrinkZone.com

From the paper linked in the OP, see also section 7: Safety of Creatine for Aging Adults
I did supplement with creatine for many years and always like the results. Now that I'm older though I'm tired of retesting my kidneys, I gave up my creatine.

Will Brink

I did supplement with creatine for many years and always like the results. Now that I'm older though I'm tired of retesting my kidneys, I gave up my creatine.

Then just stop using it approx 3-4 weeks before a doc visit, and problem solved. If creatinine high at that point, then a legit kidney issue may exist that is not being masked by the creatine supplement. In healthy people with healthy kidneys, it's quite clear elevated creatinine or not, there's no toxicity to kidneys. If one fits in the contraindications linked above, they should probably not take creatine.

I wonder if creatine supplementation has any negative affect on kidney stones. I love using creatine but I have a history of stones since being a small child. I have been off creatine for about 2 years, but always get the itch to jump back on.

Then just stop using it approx 3-4 weeks before a doc visit, and problem solved. If creatinine high at that point, then a legit kidney issue may exist that is not being masked by the creatine supplement. In healthy people with healthy kidneys, it's quite clear elevated creatinine or not, there's no toxicity to kidneys. If one fits in the contraindications linked above, they should probably not take creatine.
I was doing that but just ~72hrs before bloods and I could generally get under the lab range but I've since cut it out completely about a month ago, have a blood draw coming up.

lemonflavor

I always stop creatine a before a doc visit as Will Brink mentioned. They don't understand at all. My creatinine is still on the high side, most likely because of some extra muscle, but it remains there without it trending up.

Donovan P

For those using creatine, is there a particular brand you recommend?

I’m using Bulk Supplements’ creatine monohydrate, and honestly don’t notice much of a difference using it.

lemonflavor

Some people don't respond well to it. I always gain a couple of pounds and feel fuller. But it still doesn't make that much of a difference, especially compared to something like testosterone. Anything that's legitimate creatine monohydrate should be the same thing brand to brand.

Eekhoorn

I used it. Earlier I took it every day 3 grams.. Then I stopped for many years. Last I started again because I had a bottle still in my kitchen.... But I only took it on the day of training at the gym (2x / week). Then I got tired after strngth-training... And before, I was never tired !!

I got worried about this.. I concluded that my energy-system was out of balance.. caused by the creatine.. !!

Or maybe, I just got more strength by using creatine for the strength-training and had waisted more energy in that,.. without knowing.. And then got over a energyborder I would never get without the creatine..

But I thougth,.. It wil be just like using testosterone from outside the body.. It wil lower the natural creatine-building of the body.. So why should i make myself dependend of this stuff.. Although I know it gives me results. So, I just stopped using it. And gave it to someone.

It's the same wih using co-q10.. Using this, lowers your own production.. And I only use/used 30 mg a day..

And when I buy this online.. These times I see them selling.. from 30 mg as the lowest.. Going up to 100 mg,.. 200 mg,.. 300 mg, 400 mg a capsule.. So then I think.. Who is crazy/ right.

So I also will stop with supplementing Q10.

tmaxey1

I used it. Earlier I took it every day 3 grams.. Then I stopped for many years. Last I started again because I had a bottle still in my kitchen.... But I only took it on the day of training at the gym (2x / week). Then I got tired after strngth-training... And before, I was never tired !!

I got worried about this.. I concluded that my energy-system was out of balance.. caused by the creatine.. !!

Or maybe, I just got more strength by using creatine for the strength-training and had waisted more energy in that,.. without knowing.. And then got over a energyborder I would never get without the creatine..

But I thougth,.. It wil be just like using testosterone from outside the body.. It wil lower the natural creatine-building of the body.. So why should i make myself dependend of this stuff.. Although I know it gives me results. So, I just stopped using it. And gave it to someone.

It's the same wih using co-q10.. Using this, lowers your own production.. And I only use/used 30 mg a day..

And when I buy this online.. These times I see them selling.. from 30 mg as the lowest.. Going up to 100 mg,.. 200 mg,.. 300 mg, 400 mg a capsule.. So then I think.. Who is crazy/ right.

So I also will stop with supplementing Q10.
Your body isnt producing creatine that is suppressed by taking creatine. Its only taking in through diet.

Eekhoorn

Your body isnt producing creatine that is suppressed by taking creatine. Its only taking in through diet.

Okay, you're partially right ! You need creatine from outside. But the body makes creatine also.

I googled and found

How Is Creatine Made In The Body?
Creatine is a molecule that the body can naturally produce. It’s made primarily in the kidneys and completed in the liver, by three amino acids: glycine, arginine and methionine. The amino acids are converted into creatine phosphate and phosphocreatine which is then stored in the skeletal muscles and used for energy.
However, the body produces creatine in small amounts and excretes creatine on a daily basis. This is why some people choose to source extra creatine externally. It’s also naturally found in our diet within foods like meat and fish. This is the same kind of creatine that is produced in the body. Again, levels of creatine can still remain low, which is why it can be supplemented into your routine.

I also read :
Source and needs
A person needs between 1 and 3 grams (g) of creatine a day. Around half of this comes from the diet, and the rest is synthesized by the body.

Will Brink

Okay, you're partially right ! You need creatine from outside. But the body makes creatine also.

External creatine has a long list of potential health benefits, some of which are mentioned in the FAQ in this thread etc. Don't compare T to creatine, especially at it relates to downregulatuon of production from external sources. One of the most effective ways to increase avalaiblty of methyl groups for essential reactions is to take creatine. Health/anti aging benefits of creatine are too many to even list here and growing all the time, but:

Creatine: Everything You Need To Know

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching