CPAP Use Found to Cause Weight Gain?

Buy Lab Tests Online

mcs

Just got this blog from Dr. Steven Park, a board-certified ENT doc.

It caught my attention due to the fact that I had been steady on CPAP starting about 4 years back with many adjustments since.

Cut to:

Current time: 25lbs heavier despite same energy (calorie) intake and same, if not more, energy output.

Could my fat loss conundrum be from this theory of BMR fluctuation from being in sympathetic mode (more adrenalin from hyponeas during sleep) = burning more calories, and once CPAP fixed that, it slowed to a crawl, thus a reduction of fat-burning and increase in weight?

Here's are some mixed science on it:

Impact of Treatment with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) on Weight in Obstructive Sleep Apnea

The Effects of Long-term CPAP on Weight Change in Patients With Comorbid OSA and Cardiovascular Disease: Data From the SAVE Trial

Effects of CPAP on body weight in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea: a meta-analysis of randomised trials

For those on CPAP, has anyone experienced similar fat gaining effects in the first 2-3 years on CPAP?

More importantly, did your BMR/RMR adjust back to normal - or did you have to make drastic adjustments to diet (i.e. intermittent fasting, calorie restriction, keto) and/or increase metabolism (i.e. exercise)?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

xcpatr922

Nope, been CPAP for years. No weight gain. If a device doesn't change or limit your heart rate or change your appetite, it would not have too much effect on weight gain/loss.

Btw, limiting adrenaline may cause weight gain since you will do less exercise.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
It caught my attention due to the fact that I had been steady on CPAP starting about 4 years back with many adjustments since.

Cut to:

Current time: 25lbs heavier despite same energy (calorie) intake and same, if not more, energy output.
When did you start TRT or any other hormone program? Do you take any medications for blood pressure, etc?

Vince

Super Moderator
The link between excess weight and sleep apnea is well established. People who are overweight are more likely to have extra tissue in the back of their throat, which can fall down over the airway and block the flow of air into the lungs while they sleep.

xcpatr922

The link between excess weight and sleep apnea is well established. People who are overweight are more likely to have extra tissue in the back of their throat, which can fall down over the airway and block the flow of air into the lungs while they sleep.

Ah yes this is very straightforward.
Overweight--->snoring--->sleep apnea

CPAP is going to reduce "snoring--->sleep apnea" part but if CPAP is causing weight gain I don't think so. Untreated folks with sleep apnea will have more daytime sleepiness hence no energy for sport to reduce weight. While overweight folks using CPAP is going to have a fresher day and have more energy to burn calories.

I remember the day first time using CPAP year ago. Feels like an overweight person with oxygen of a teenager.

Vince

Super Moderator
Ah yes this is very straightforward.
Overweight--->snoring--->sleep apnea

CPAP is going to reduce "snoring--->sleep apnea" part but if CPAP is causing weight gain I don't think so. Untreated folks with sleep apnea will have more daytime sleepiness hence no energy for sport to reduce weight. While overweight folks using CPAP is going to have a fresher day and have more energy to burn calories.

I remember the day first time using CPAP year ago. Feels like an overweight person with oxygen of a teenager.
I agree, use your new found energy, to lose weight and exercise.

BigTex

Nope, been CPAP for years. No weight gain. If a device doesn't change or limit your heart rate or change your appetite, it would not have too much effect on weight gain/loss.

Btw, limiting adrenaline may cause weight gain since you will do less exercise.

Same here. I have use a CPAP for years and still have to eat like a pig to gain weight.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me