Coenzyme Q10 supplementation

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Coenzyme Q10 supplementation: Efficacy, safety, and formulation challenges

Abstract

World population growth and aging are posing unprecedented challenges in sustaining the health of 9.1 billion people that will be occupying the planet by 2050. Although non-communicable diseases such as cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases, cancer, and diabetes are among the top 10 global causes of death, they can be prevented by risk factor reduction, early detection, and adequate treatment. Since a healthy diet along with dietary supplementation could play an important role to reduce morbidity and cut off its associated health care costs, research in the food and nutrition area is required to find solutions to global challenges affecting health.

As a result of the healthy living trend, the dietary supplements category is growing fast, leading to an urgent need for dietitians, physicians, and policymakers to broaden the scientific evidence on the efficacy and safety of a wide range of active ingredients. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), as the third most consumed dietary supplement, and as a potential candidate for the treatment of various non-communicable diseases that are among the global top 10 causes of death, has gained interest over years. Scientific evidence regarding mainly CoQ10 efficacy and safety, as well as formulation challenges, is addressed in this review.

1 INTRODUCTION

When it comes to coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), which is not an FDA-approved drug, but yet sold as a food supplement (DrugBank, 2019), it is currently the third most consumed nutritional supplement after fish oil and multivitamins (Kapoor & Kapoor, 2013). In addition, thanks to its strong antioxidant activity, and physiological key role in mitochondrial bioenergetics (Nelson & Cox, 2017), it has also been considered as a potential candidate for the treatment of various diseases where oxidative stress plays a significant role such as cardiovascular diseases, neurodegenerative disorders, cancer, and diabetes, which are among the top 10 global causes of death (Dhanasekaran & Ren, 2005; Villalba, Parrado, SantosGonzalez, & Alcain, 2010; WHO, 2018a). For this reason, considering that CoQ10 supplementation has gained interest over years and has an expanding consumer base, a review of the current scientific evidence regarding CoQ10 supplementation is needed. The aim of this review is to provide researchers, dietitians, physicians, formulators, and regulators with a breadth of evidence on CoQ10 efficacy, safety, and formulation challenges. In order to meet these objectives, this review is organized in the following sections: CoQ10 overview sources and deficiency, and supplementation, which includes pharmacokinetics and bioavailability, therapeutic indications, safety and precautions, and formulation.

2 OVERVIEW OF COQ10

3 COQ10 SOURCES AND DEFICIENCY

4 COQ10 SUPPLEMENTATION

4.1 Pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of the dietary supplement CoQ10
4.2 Therapeutic indications
4.2.1 Cardiovascular diseases
4.2.2 Statin-induced myopathy
4.2.3 Neurodegenerative diseases
4.2.4 Cancer
4.2.5 Diabetes
4.2.6 Treatment of CoQ10 deficiencies
4.2.7 Migraine
4.2.8 Athletic performance
4.2.9 Male infertility

4.3 Safety and precautions

4.4 Formulation

5 CONCLUSION

CoQ10 not only plays an essential role in the synthesis of cellular energy in the form of ATP but it is also a strong lipophilic antioxidant.
Despite being endogenously synthesized in the human body and found in plant and animal tissues that are part of our diet, different factors can lower its physiological concentrations. While CoQ10 deficiencies have been reported in certain diseases and conditions where oxidative stress plays a significant role, whether the deficiency is a cause or consequence remains unknown. However, since a number of clinical trials have observed that its oral administration provided beneficial effects on different disorders that have been associated with low CoQ10 levels and high oxidative stress, it has been suggested as a promising therapeutic agent to prevent and slow the progression of these diseases that include cardiovascular diseases, statins-induced myopathy, neurodegenerative diseases, cancer, diabetes, CoQ10 deficiencies, migraine, athletic performance, and male infertility.

These findings on the potential health benefits of CoQ10 supplementation have led to increased consumer demand. In addition, in the context of population aging and the healthy living trend, consumers are becoming more aware than ever of ingredients in their food and their properties, and an increasing number of consumers are seeing food as a medicine. For this reason, dietary supplements stand out as one of the fastest-growing healthcare categories. Consumer base expansion has led to an urgent need for researchers, dietitians, physicians, and regulators to broaden the scientific evidence on the efficacy and safety of a wide range of active ingredients found in food supplements, including CoQ10. This review intended to provide them with a breadth of evidence on CoQ10 efficacy, safety, and formulation challenges. However, further studies must be carried out in order to clarify the role of CoQ10 and the optimal therapeutic regimen in the management of different health conditions. Additional investigation on physicochemical properties, pharmacokinetics, stability, and efficacy is also needed to deepen the knowledge on CoQ10 and to allow formulators to improve CoQ10 properties by means of different techniques. This is especially relevant since solubility, but especially stability and bioavailability concerns hinder its use in food supplements and medicinal products. For this reason, further research is needed to overcome these issues. Finally, although there is insufficient evidence to conclude its efficacy on different therapeutic indications, it is worth highlighting that CoQ10 supplementation is safe and well-tolerated at doses much higher than usual, with few drug interactions and minor side effects. However, people with certain health conditions and under treatment should consult with a health care professional before using CoQ10.

Attachments

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Screenshot (1975).png

FIGURE 2 CoQ10 key facts at a glance

madman

Super Moderator
Screenshot (1976).png

FIGURE 3 CoQ10 pharmacokinetics and bioavailability summary. Note that the individual response might be highly variable depending on several factors such as age, gender, diet, microbiota, and intestinal absorption capacity among others. Information sources are indicated in the main text.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

madman

Super Moderator
Screenshot (1991).png

Q10- HOW TO CHOOSE UBIQUINONE VS UBIQUINOL

Coenzyme Q10 Names

Roles of Q10

Ubiquinone or Ubiquinol?

Q10 against heart failure

The best Q10

DorianGray

@madman What is your opinion of this company's product and claims?

MitoQ is an enhanced form of the antioxidant CoQ10 that has been engineered to be able to get into your cells’ power plants - your mitochondria - at significant levels. No other antioxidant, CoQ10 or form of CoQ10 can do this as effectively. Once inside the mitochondria, MitoQ helps to support their function.

Sergel

Ubiqunol is so expensive... These supplements add up... I take a NAD+ precursor, multi, fish oil, magnesium, zinc cost per month is more than my Test...

Anyone found a way to get quality supplemnents at lower price?

DragonBits

Ubiqunol is so expensive... These supplements add up... I take a NAD+ precursor, multi, fish oil, magnesium, zinc cost per month is more than my Test...

Anyone found a way to get quality supplemnents at lower price?
You could do a lab test for coq10 just to see how much you might need. Life Ex currently sells such a test for $45.

Assuming you have health insurance with a drug plan, your doctor might be willing to write you a prescription, then likely insurance would cover it. I would check with insurance first.

Other than that, places like costco (likely sams as well) regularly have sales on coq10, stock up when it goes on sale.

I don't think there is really a cheap way to buy, often people in countries like Thailand want me to bring them supplements / vitamins -because the cost there is a lot higher than here. I was really surprised to learn suntan lotion is quite expensive in Thailand, I figured with all the sun it would be more common and cheaper.

DragonBits

Here is another cheaper way.

Buy bulk power coq10, at amazon 100 grams of coq10 is $103 and represents 500 doses at 200 mg each. I haven't done the math, but it's usually cheaper buying bulk power.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me