Calculate Free Testosterone with TruT by FPT

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
:D

About TruT

Current problems with accurate free testosterone determination

Current methods for measuring free testosterone (fT) are technically challenging and not accurate. The widely used direct immunoassay and tracer analog techniques for measuring fT have been shown to be inaccurate. Equilibrium dialysis, the reference method against which other methods are compared, is labor-intensive and cumbersome, and therefore has had limited clinical adoption. As an alternative, free testosterone can be computed from the total testosterone, SHBG, and albumin concentrations. Recently, Endocrine Society’s Expert Panel acknowledged the experimental problems in fT measurements and concluded that "...the calculation of free testosterone is the most useful estimate of free testosterone in plasma..." However, we have demonstrated that even the calculated fT values derived from the prevailing equations, based on linear law-of-mass action models or empiric equations, differ systematically from free testosterone measured by equilibrium dialysis by as much as 40%.

Improved TruT Companion Diagnostics

Based on the fundamental discovery of testosterone partitioning, our team has developed an accurate free testosterone determination method. While examining the mechanistic origin of this systematic inaccuracy in free testosterone values using the linear model of SHBG:testosterone association, we discovered that the SHBG dimer exhibits conformational allostery in binding testosterone. Our TruT™ companion diagnostic, incorporating the correct parameters and non-linear dynamics in T:SHBG association has resulted in a framework for accurate determination of free testosterone values.

The TruT algorithm improves the accuracy of free-T calculations, reducing the potential for misdiagnosis, and better informing providers when designing treatments.

Testosterone, like other hormones (estrogen, vitamin D), is a hydrophobic molecule with limited solubility in water/blood. Accordingly, nature has devised transport proteins that carry testosterone from the primary synthesis site (testes) to the target organs. In blood, testosterone is therefore partitioned into bound form (albumin and SHBG bound) and free fraction; free testosterone molecules enter the target cells and trigger signaling cascades. Therefore, accurate determination of free testosterone is central to definitive diagnosis of hypogonadism.

Circulating testosterone is bound tightly to the SHBG protein with high affinity and to albumin with substantially lower affinity; therefore, alterations in SHBG greatly affect free testosterone concentrations. SHBG levels are quite sensitive to overall health status and age. This has significant clinical implications; for example, two patients may produce equal amounts of total testosterone but one may express higher level of binding protein, lowering the free testosterone concentrations. Accordingly, if sole clinical marker for diagnosis is based on total testosterone, individuals with high binding protein levels will be misdiagnosed and not receive the necessary care.Therefore, accurate determination of free testosterone levels is central to definitive diagnosis of androgen related disorders.

Conditions that lower SHBG – obesity, type 2 diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, liver disease, hypothyroidism, use of androgens or glucocorticoids – can lower total testosterone levels to below the normal range, while free testosterone levels might remain within the normal range. In these instances, sole reliance on total testosterone to establish a diagnosis of hypogonadism could result in misclassification
Conditions that increase SHBG – advanced age, hyperthyroidism, anticonvulsants, HIV infection, or polymorphisms in the SHBG gene – can raise total testosterone levels to well above 400 ng/dL and sometimes into the high-normal range, despite normal or even low free testosterone. Accordingly, the Endocrine Society recommends determination of free testosterone in the diagnostic evaluation of hypogonadism in conditions that alter SHBG levels to avoid misclassification in the diagnosis of hypogonadism.

Current diagnostics, including the most widely used tracer analog method, have been shown to be inaccurate and its use is not recommended. Equilibrium dialysis is widely considered the reference method but most care providers and commercial laboratories do not offer equilibrium dialysis assays due to operational complexities in performing the assay and difficulties automating the procedure. Recognizing the practical difficulties that clinicians face in obtaining accurate measurement of free testosterone by equilibrium dialysis, an expert panel of the Endocrine Society concluded that "...calculated free testosterone, using high quality testosterone and SHBG assays, is the most useful clinical marker".

Our patent protected, novel TruT™ companion diagnostic framework provides accurate determination of free testosterone concentrations. This algorithm is based on experimental data demonstrating that testosterone’s binding to SHBG is a multi-step process involving an allosteric interaction between the two binding sites on the SHBG dimer. Estimates of free testosterone derived incorporating the allosteric coupling of SHBG monomers within the dimer provide accurate determination of free testosterone without systematic deviation from values obtained using equilibrium dialysis.

Development

Ongoing development is focused around continued study and validation in common conditions characterized by altered binding protein concentrations. Further, the incorporation of estradiol interactions will allow for wider adoption in women where estradiol levels vary greatly across the menstrual cycle. Because hyperandrogenism in women is the second most frequent indication for free testosterone determination, understanding the competitive binding and displacement dynamics is important for proper diagnosis in both healthy menstruating women and women with hyperandrogenic disorders, such as PCOS.

Through collaborations and partnerships, the TruT™ platform presents a unique opportunity to aggregate large volumes of data and metadata across diverse populations, ultimately enabling deeper understanding of the basis of androgen disorders and other conditions.

TruT Free Testosterone Calculator by FPT

Screenshot (99).png

If we use the linear law-of-mass action model using the Vermeulen calculated FT method which is freely available to everyone online:Free & Bioavailable Testosterone calculator

Using my TT 1200 ng/dL and SHBG 30 nmol/L and Albumin 4.3 g/dL (mean) than my FT is 32.1 ng/dl=2.67%

Now if I take these values (TT/SHBG/Albumin) and use the Calculate free testosterone with TruT by FPT

Than my FT is 43.88 ng/dl or 1.52 nMol/L

What a difference Vermeulen calculated method FT 32.1 ng/dl compared to the TruT calculated method FT 43.88 ng/dl

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

fifty

So everyone's Free T just went up 50%?

My labs are (on MWF 46mg, 250iu, .125ai)
Total T 1447
Albumin 4.5
SHBG 45.9
Free T (Direct) 27.1

This new calculator gives free T 49.35. And I thought Vermeulen (31.4 for me) was said to overestimate FreeT...

Does this mean I can cut my dose in half? :) Seriously though... @sh1973

I mean I have read 1000 posts browbeating people for getting the wrong e2 test now you're telling me I am spending years of my life chasing a Free T number that is possibly the most inaccurate test of them all? That's like measuring my blood pressure at 170 when it's actually 95.

So maybe that doc that has most on 60mg/week has the right idea?

Last edited:

madman

Super Moderator

Total T 1447
Albumin 4.5
SHBG 45.9
Free T (Direct) 27.1

This new calculator gives free T 49.35. And I thought Vermeulen (31.4 for me) was said to overestimate FreeT...

Does this mean I can cut my dose in half? :) Seriously though... @sh1973

I mean I have read 1000 posts browbeating people for getting the wrong e2 test now you're telling me I am spending years of my life chasing a Free T number that is possibly the most inaccurate test of them all? That's like measuring my blood pressure at 170 when it's actually 95.

So maybe that doc that has most on 60mg/week has the right idea?

Two important points to keep in mind- T:SHBG (binding)

Improved TruT Companion Diagnostics

*Based on the fundamental discovery of testosterone partitioning, our team has developed an accurate free testosterone determination method. While examining the mechanistic origin of this systematic inaccuracy in free testosterone values using the linear model of SHBG:testosterone association, we discovered that the SHBG dimer exhibits conformational allostery in binding testosterone. Our TruT™ companion diagnostic, incorporating the correct parameters and non-linear dynamics in T:SHBG association has resulted in a framework for accurate determination of free testosterone values.

TruT
*This algorithm is based on experimental data demonstrating that testosterone’s binding to SHBG is a multi-step process involving an allosteric interaction between the two binding sites on the SHBG dimer.

Cataceous

Super Moderator

Free T (Direct) 27.1

That direct free T test doesn't even have the same units as the calculated values. You can't compare it to anything but itself, and it's a lousy test to begin with.

As for this new method of calculating free T, has it been independently validated? The errors it imputes to the Vermeulen and multi-ligand models seem larger than what other publications have suggested.

I have 2 tests that I had free testosterone measured with the Equilibrium dialysis method. The TruT calculator is very close to my measured results.

Total T (ng/dl)

SHBG (nmol/l)

albumin (g/dl)

Free T measured (ng/dl)

TruT (ng/dl)

vermulen (ng/dl)

Where can you order a free t equilibrium dialysis test?
My doctor orders labs that are sent to Mayo Laboratory.

Their website says "This method is based on equilibrium dialysis in which free-labeled testosterone is allowed to pass through a semipermeable membrane, whereas testosterone bound to the sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) remains inside the dialysis tubing."

madman

Super Moderator
That direct free T test doesn't even have the same units as the calculated values. You can't compare it to anything but itself, and it's a lousy test to begin with.

As for this new method of calculating free T, has it been independently validated? The errors it imputes to the Vermeulen and multi-ligand models seem larger than what other publications have suggested.

It seems so and they are in the process of completing PHASE II.

I would like to see more members post comparisons of their FT numbers using Equilibrium Dialysis to Tru T Free Testosterone calculator.

Mind you unfortunately most are still using the direct immunoassay and tracer analog.

Phase II: Research and Commercialization of TruT Algorithm for Free Testosterone

ABSTRACT

- the measurement of testosterone(T) levels is central to the diagnosis of androgen disorders, such as hypogonadism in men and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in women

- circulating t is bound with high affinity to sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and with substantially lower affinity to albumin; only the free fraction is biologically active

- conditions that affect SHBG concentrations, such as aging and obesity, alter total T but not free T concentrations; in these conditions, the determination of free t is necessary to obtain an accurate assessment of androgen status

- tracer analog method, the most widely used method for free T, has been shown to be inaccurate

- equilibrium dialysis method is, technically difficult to implement and standardize, and is not available in most hospital laboratories, leading the Endocrine Society's Expert Panel to conclude that?? the calculation of free testosterone is the most useful estimate of free testosterone in plasma??

- therefore, there is an unmet need for algorithms that provide accurate estimates of free T that match those derived from equilibrium dialysis

- we have designed a novel and accurate TruTTM algorithm for the determination of free T, based on the characterization of testosterones's binding to SHBG using modern biophysical techniques

- we have discovered that testosterone's binding to SHBG is a dynamic multistep process that includes allosteric interaction between the two binding sites on an SHBG dimer

- our computational frame-work incorporates the correct binding parameters derived experimentally in these studies, the non-linear dynamics in T:SHBG association, and allsotery

- in phase I studies , we demonstrated that TruTTM algorithm provides accurate free T values that match those obtained using the equilibrium dialysis in healthy and hypogonadal men

- we have also shown that the binding parameters that have formed the basis of previous equations (e.g., Vermeulen) are incorrect, and that free T values derived using these equations deviate substantially from free T measured by equilibrium dialysis

- the phase I studies have led to adoption of the TruTTM algorithm at several institutions

- the phase II program will continue the development of the TruTTM algorithm by validating it in common conditions characterized by altered SHBG concentration, such as obesity and aging (AIM 1), in healthy women across the menstrual cycle, and in women with PCOS (AIM 2)

- we will generate population-based reference ranges for free T (AIM 3)

- phase II also includes plans for commercialization of the TruTTM algorithm using a HIPAA compliant infrastructure for its clinical adoption

-the phase II program will provide validation of TruTTM algorithm in the two most common clinical indications for free T measurement? men suspected of hypogonadism and altered SHBG levels, and women with hyperandrogenic disorders

- it will also enable the development of a HIPAA compliant platform that can be embedded into electronic medical record for wider clinical adoption and for improving clinical care

Project Start 2014-09-15
Project End 2019-05-31

Phase II: Research and Commercialization of TruT Algorithm for Free Testosterone

Last edited:

madman

Super Moderator
This is key.

- phase II also includes plans for commercialization of the TruTTM algorithm using a HIPAA compliant infrastructure for its clinical adoption

madman

Super Moderator
Schematic Representation of Experimental models of Testosterone Binding to SHGB

(a) linear model of testosterone (T) binding to SHBG as conceptualized by Vermeulan, Sodergard and Mazer

(b) new model (ZBJ, schematic adaptation) proposed by Zakharov

Screenshot (101).png

Schematic representation of experimental models of testosterone binding to SHBG. (a) Linear model of testosterone (T) binding to SHBG as conceptualized by Vermeulen et al. (3), Södergard et al. (4), and Mazer (5). (b) New model (ZBJ, schematic adaptation) proposed by Zakharov et al. (34) incorporating the dynamics of allosteric regulation in testosterone binding to SHBG. The different shapes represent conformationally distinct states of SHBG in the dynamic repartitioning of free testosterone into bound forms. Recent evidence derived from new biophysical techniques indicates that the binding of testosterone to SHBG is a dynamic, multistep process. The binding of one molecule of testosterone to the first binding site on an SHBG dimer leads to conformational rearrangement and allostery between the two binding sites, such that the second testosterone molecule binds to the second binding site with a different binding affinity; there is readjustment of equilibria between these interconverting microstates. This multistep, allosteric model provides validated estimates of free testosterone, which have close correspondence with values measured using equilibrium dialysis.

fifty

I guess my serious question is... if i feel like I’m taking too much test and my direct t is 27 and truT is 49 then can I literally half my dose as some have suggested and still be top of range?

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I guess my serious question is... if i feel like I’m taking too much test and my direct t is 27 and truT is 49 then can I literally half my dose as some have suggested and still be top of range?
The direct test is too inaccurate to base decisions on. In the case of TruT, it depends on whether there's a set of normal ranges built up using either it or one of the accurate tests. My generic calibration for older calculated free T models was to see what free T is for the average young guy with total testosterone 600-700 ng/dL and SHBG ~30 nmol/L. This was ~15 ng/dL +/-, but with TruT it's more like low 20s. I think it's safe to say that with your new cFT more than double this average you have high free T.

DragonBits

I get totally confused by all the different unit measurements used.

If it was simply a matter of different units, then one should be able to convert those units. But it seems that it's more complicated than just a unit conversion difference.

For Total T of 690 ng/dl, SHBG of 41.1 nmol/L and Albumin 4.6 g/dL Labcorp gave me the following Free T result.

Free Testosterone(Direct) 20.7 High pg/mL.
===================================

Converting pg/ml > ng/dl should be moving the decimal point over one to give 2.07 ng/dl.

But a 2.07 ng/dl doesn't make any sense and doesn't jive with any online calculator that would say my free T was 13 ng/dl.

Obviously something is wrong with my math, but I don't know what. BTW, TruT would say my free T with the same numbers is 21.51 ng/dl, but who knows what the range should be?

I can certainly see why most doctors only look at total T and SHBG and tend to ignore freeT.

How does one convert Labcorps Free Testosterone(Direct) 20.7 pg/mL to ng/dl units and to nMol/L units? It should be possible to convert if it is only a unit difference.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
How does one convert Labcorps Free Testosterone(Direct) 20.7 pg/mL to ng/dl units and to nMol/L units? It should be possible to convert if it is only a unit difference.
You're converting the units correctly, and it just serves to demonstrate that the LabCorp direct free T range has nothing to do with absolute free testosterone numbers. At best there's a modest correlation with more accurate measures. Bottom line: don't use these results; they have little value.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me