Cable Exercises Can Develop the Body Fully and Safely

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Cables or Machines: Muscle Activity, Angle & ROM of Arms, Abs, Chest & Shoulders on Chest & Overhead P. & Curls

"...significant benefits favoring cable training were seen for all values beneath the x-axes of Figure 1 that are marked with the p < 0.05 asterisk (*), namely the pecs and the anterior deltaoid (=front delts) for curl exercises, the biceps, rectus abdominis (abs) and the external obliques for the chest press exercises with cables and the external obliques for the overhead press with cables

- significant benefits favoring plate-loaded machines, on the other hand, were observed only for the biceps on the curl machine (vs. cable curls) and the triceps that did half of the job during the chest press on the corresponding machine machine

If we go by the number of significant benefits, cables do thus appear to be the better choice in many, but not all cases."

Very interesting! I've been seeing more and more of these theories that movements we used to consider as "isolated" movements were less responsive and we're meant for "finishing" and tone, whereas the compound movements we're the real "builders" of muscle bellies. Doug Brignole has a variety of videos that now explains away that old theory and that actually some of these movements we used to call isolated movements are actually much more effective. Doug Brginole:

TapRackBang

I am so glad to read some of this about cable machines. I am just starting to work out again after about 15 years of not lifting. I am really very ignorant and all I have at this point to work out with is cable machines. So am I understanding that it is possible to lift with the goal of Hypertrophy with cable exercises only?

Cips1975

I have not used free weights in 10 years since my back surgery and then after my hand surgery. I am happy that the cable machine has been my salvation since I have not lost size at all.

I am glad you have found a way to get around your knee injury. Most guys just give up and stop.
From a Hypertrophy standpoint, over the last couple years, I’ve adjusted my thinking on the traditional dogma that compound free weight movements are the holy grail. I would argue that proper exercise selection using machines and cables are more effective, safe and efficient for hypertrophy. Barbell squats, OH presses, Barbell bench presses...are fine exercises but I don’t think are the most optimal from a biomechanic and loading perspective. I’ve pretty much reduced my free weight movements to almost nada. Pain is gone and muscle is looking good with no loss as I am pretty much just trying to maintain. When I tell peeps I just do a couple cable movements, no big daddy compound movements they get confused lol. A lot of my thinking has been influenced by researching Doug Brignole’s work. His book the Physics of Fitness will blow your mind when it comes to building muscle and make you critically think. His arguments are great and make total sense even if you don’t want to believe it. I would encourage folks to at least check it out. Lots of bids on YouTube. I like the ones like below that are short where he critiques bodybuilders working out. Check them all out from that channel. Really good and sound info. Ex below

Last edited:

GreenMachineX

I have not used free weights in 10 years since my back surgery and then after my hand surgery. I am happy that the cable machine has been my salvation since I have not lost size at all.

I am glad you have found a way to get around your knee injury. Most guys just give up and stop.
Curious though...how many have built a physique like yours (or bigger) with cables only from the beginning? I still believe free weights are necessary for achieving the biggest/strongest level of muscularity.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Curious though...how many have built a physique like yours (or bigger) with cables only from the beginning? I still believe free weights are necessary for achieving the biggest/strongest level of muscularity.
I was never a free weights guy (35 years working out). But I never took a break longer than a month from the gym (due to surgeries) and never allowed by T level to go under 400 ng/dL during that time. I used to average 3-4 times per week for 1 hour (now averaging 2 per week). Cables, if you use them with proper form, can build a body without all the injuries that I saw most of my friends go through.

I gained most of my muscle 30 years ago (long story here) and have been able to maintain it with only TRT in the past 10 years.

I have a small muscle gut due to visceral fat, though.

This is me 6 months ago. Trying hard at almost 62 and HIV+ for 37 years.

nelson vergel PV.jpg

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale