Blood work - Do I need TRT/Whats next?

Buy Lab Tests Online

lennylevino

For the few years I have had low libido generally, bad erection quality and almost never waking up with a boner. I have also noticed reduced/slowed facial hair growth and increased balding. Although I will say that I don't often get a full 8 hours of sleep and I do not exercise much (if at all).

Here are my test results from a couple of days ago (blood taken at 10am on a fasted stomach). I am 33 years old.

testosterone.jpg

Hormones:
- Total Testosterone: 97 ng/dl (range: 250 - 840)
- Free Testosterone: 27 pg/ml (lab range: 15 - 50 - *although when googling it says that normal reference range is 50-200 pg/ml)
- LH: 4.12 (range: 1.7 - 8.6)
- FSH: 1.8 (range: 1.5 - 12.4)

thyroid.jpg

Thyroid and Prostate:
- PSA: 1.04 (range: <1.4)
- TSH: 1.9 (range: 0.27 - 4.2)
- T3 Total: 1.23 (range: 0.8 - 2.0)
- T3 Free: 3.36 (range: 2.0 - 4.4)
- T4 Total: 12.1 (range: 4.5 - 12.0)
- T4 Free: 1.77 (range: 0.93 - 1.7)

Seems like the lab forgot to include SHBG and Estradiol (E2). Do I need to check these as well? What should my next step be here? Do another test to confirm the low numbers and then get on injections?

Thing is I used a MAO-inhibitor called Tranylcypromine (Parnate) as an antidepressant and stopped taking it about 3 months ago. I also took this in the past and got similar symptoms to what I have now after quitting. When I started taking it again it felt like I had a return of libido, drive etc (although it only lasted for a couple of months before it vanished again). Last time I was off this medication for over 2 years with no improvement in symptoms.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

It’s possible Tranylcypromine is to blame for your suppressed testosterone levels and perhaps when you were on it, the LH and FSH were elevated while testosterone suppressed.

Now that you’re off it, testosterone parameters haven’t recovered. Some SSRI’s do decrease testosterone, sometimes permanently.

Results: The results showed that 21 days consumption of maximum doses of Tranylcypromine, significantly increases concentrations of LH and FSH hormones and significantly reduce testosterone concentration in maximum doses and leydig cells in all three experimental groups (P≥0.05). In addition, no significant effect was observed in the body weight, testicular weight as well as Sertoli cells. Moreover, testicular tissue study indicates that 21 days of Tranylcypromine consumption significantly reduces spermatogony,spermatid , spermatocyte and thus, affects spermatogenesis.

Last edited:

lennylevino

It’s possible Tranylcypromine is to blame for your suppressed testosterone levels and perhaps when you were on it, the LH and FSH were elevated while testosterone suppressed.

Now that you’re off it, testosterone parameters haven’t recovered. Some SSRI’s do decrease testosterone, sometimes permanently.

Oh, interesting. How crazy I have never seen that study before. Thank you for linking it. The doses these animals received were quite huge though, and as far as I understand it serotonin gets significantly more affected the higher of a dose you take. At my dose (50-60mg per day) I found I had a good balance between serotonin and dopamine. If I were to take the same dose as these animals, I'd be taking 800-3200 mg per day.

Nonetheless, very interesting study.

I have personal experience with SSRIs and lowered testosterone levels. 10 years ago while taking Sertraline I was cruising around 300 ng/dl. After stopping the SSRI my levels bounced back to over 800 ng/dl within 3 months.

Last time I took a test I was also at nearly 800 ng/dl. This was about two and half years ago (and before getting on Tranylcypromine). I may have to give this another couple of months then to see if I can bounce back naturally, before starting injections.

Right now I am taking Vyvanse instead. Hopefully that won't affect the test production too much.

Systemlord

After stopping the SSRI my levels bounced back to over 800 ng/dl within 3 months.
Here’s the thing though, sometimes damage occurs and you don’t start to see problems until later. Take abusing steroids for an example, sometime 10 years down the road after stopping AAS, the hormones decline earlier in life instead of later in life.

You only have to weaken the HPTA to start the process earlier. A lot of guys are getting low-T in their 40‘s and 50’s, you got it earlier because of medicines that directly interfered with your reproductive system.

Another example is finasteride, sometimes the problems don’t start until after you stop taking it, months or years down the road. I’ve seen it time and time again.

Systemlord

View attachment 28612

I am not sure if this is a mistake, but you have high testosterone.
Good catch Nelson! I didn't even look at the actual lab report because his other thread didn't include it and went off the typed in units.

This would put FT about mid-range. This is a slippery slope as this is subpar for some men and not that bad for others.

I feel like dogs*** at these FT levels, low energy, ED and low libido.

Last edited:

lennylevino

Here’s the thing though, sometimes damage occurs and you don’t start to see problems until later. Take abusing steroids for an example, sometime 10 years down the road after stopping AAS, the hormones decline earlier in life instead of later in life.

You only have to weaken the HPTA to start the process earlier. A lot of guys are getting low-T in their 40‘s and 50’s, you got it earlier because of medicines that directly interfered with your reproductive system.

Another example is finasteride, sometimes the problems don’t start until after you stop taking it, months or years down the road. I’ve seen it time and time again.
Good point and interesting take on it. I am going to go for another test soon to confirm the results.

lennylevino

View attachment 28612

I am not sure if this is a mistake, but you have high testosterone.
Oh, wow! What a mistake by me. So I actually have a very decent level of total testosterone. That is a relief for sure.

Good catch Nelson! I didn't even look at the actual lab report because his other thread didn't include it and went off the typed in units.

This would put FT about mid-range. This is a slippery slope as this is subpar for some men and not that bad for others.

I feel like dogs*** at these FT levels, low energy, ED and low libido.

Converting 28 pg/ml to ng/dl and I get 2.8. According to multiple sources I just looked up, it seems that the reference range for FT is 8.0-60 ng/dl. So I would be well under the minimum value on the reference range. Am I correct in this or am I misunderstanding this too?

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
So I would be well under the minimum value on the reference range. Am I correct in this or am I misunderstanding this too?
It depends on the lab company

T

tareload

See this thread and this post.

All you want and more.

RickB

See this thread and this post.

All you want and more.
I thought you're #TeamVermeulen

T

tareload

Ah yes. I had only looked at the titles.
Yes the titles and descriptions thar carry over on the previews can be very deceiving. I've brought this up to MGMT that this may be a reason no one bothers to read the material behind the links.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me