Blood Glucose Spikes During The Night

Buy Lab Tests Online

Weasel

I've had terrible sleep for going on 6-7 years now. Waking up 2-3 times during the night would be a great nights sleep for me.

For longer than I've been on TRT I've had a fasting AM glucose level that always is 110-130. I always chalked this up to the dawn phenomenon.

Yesterday though I did a glucose tolerance test and the results were interesting.

Pre-Glucose- 96
1hr post- 116
2hr post- 100.

I then proceeded to eat supper about 6pm. I did not eat again before bed.

I woke up about 1130pm and test glucose and it was 159.

Glucose at 7am this morning was 110.

I might be grasping at straws here for better sleep but why would my 5hr and 12hr levels be that much or equal to my post glucose test levels?
Did I find the cause of my wake ups?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I've had terrible sleep for going on 6-7 years now. Waking up 2-3 times during the night would be a great nights sleep for me.

For longer than I've been on TRT I've had a fasting AM glucose level that always is 110-130. I always chalked this up to the dawn phenomenon.

Yesterday though I did a glucose tolerance test and the results were interesting.

Pre-Glucose- 96
1hr post- 116
2hr post- 100.

I might be grasping at straws here for better sleep but why would my 5hr and 12hr levels be that much or equal to my post glucose test levels?
Have you been diagnosed as a diabetic?

Vince

Super Moderator
Your A1C isn't that bad, but definitely it looks like your glucose tolerance test was not good?
I just looked up. The glucose tolerance test levels. And your levels are in good range, I was surprise because mine was 60 after 1 hour and 2 hours.

excelnelg

It's normal for levels to fluctuate.

1. Dawn phenomenon. This occurs when your body releases a surge of hormones overnight, which then triggers your liver to dump sugar into your blood. This is an entirely natural process, but people with diabetes cannot properly secrete or utilize insulin to counteract the blood sugar rise.
  2. Reactive hyperglycemia, also called the Somogyi effect. This is distinct from dawn phenomenon. It happens when low blood sugar in the middle of the night triggers your liver to dump sugar into your blood in an attempt to stabilize your blood sugar.
  3. Finally, your blood sugar may simply rise overnight for less complex reasons. Perhaps your basal insulin dosage isn’t set quite right, or a late-night meal took hours to cause a glucose spike

MarcoFL

I just went on intermittent fasting to drop 10 pounds and also tighten up my glucose levels. I wonder if the A1C reading is the best way vs a CGM or just testing to see how you are responding to food and timing of eating. I now skip breakfast and sometimes lunch. I think I feel better already.

Another Great Day

Pre-Glucose- 96
1hr post- 116
2hr post- 100.

I also woke up many times in the night. I take a host of o.t.c. vitamins that I take am, afternoon, and PM. I checked the pm vitamins and learned that about 50% could cause insomnia. I have changed the dosing and it has made a huge difference.

Weasel

I just looked up. The glucose tolerance test levels. And your levels are in good range, I was surprise because mine was 60 after 1 hour and 2 hours.
You would be considered hypoglycemic at that level. Anything under 70 is considered as such.

I've yet to get to the bottom of my elevated night time glucose levels. Not much to go on.

Vince

Super Moderator
Melatonin is an indoleamine which is produced from L-tryptophan in the pineal gland and in the other tissue including gastrointestinal tract. Both melatonin and its precursor have been demonstrated to protect the pancreas against acute pancreatitis and to attenuate pancreatic tissue damage.
1644862044424.png

PubMed › ...

could melatonin be used in the treatment of acute pancreatitis? - PubMed

Weasel

Melatonin is an indoleamine which is produced from L-tryptophan in the pineal gland and in the other tissue including gastrointestinal tract. Both melatonin and its precursor have been demonstrated to protect the pancreas against acute pancreatitis and to attenuate pancreatic tissue damage.
View attachment 19756
PubMed › ...

could melatonin be used in the treatment of acute pancreatitis? - PubMed

Pancreatitis should result in impaired glucose tolerance across the board. Not just at night. At least that's the conclusion my research has led me to believe.

Vince

Super Moderator
I believe people who are type 1 diabetics, some doctors are prescribing 200 mg of melatonin, to heal their pancreas.

U

Unlockable

My blood sugar gets under control very quickly even after eating a large amount of carbs. However it's almost always higher when I wake up and I sleep like complete garbage. There's complex issues with my sleep (no N3 sleep at all) but this seems like it could cause my massive heat spikes at night? I just laid out in the sun for an hour and 20 min and didn't get as hot as I sometimes do when sleeping.

My A1C is stellar at 4.8 and 4.9 for the last two, and it's been at 5.0 for years besides that, other than a random 5.1 after taking some fake HGH that I got from Florida Alternative Medicine.

Vince

Super Moderator
My blood sugar gets under control very quickly even after eating a large amount of carbs. However it's almost always higher when I wake up and I sleep like complete garbage. There's complex issues with my sleep (no N3 sleep at all) but this seems like it could cause my massive heat spikes at night? I just laid out in the sun for an hour and 20 min and didn't get as hot as I sometimes do when sleeping.

My A1C is stellar at 4.8 and 4.9 for the last two, and it's been at 5.0 for years besides that, other than a random 5.1 after taking some fake HGH that I got from Florida Alternative Medicine.
My wife's oldest son A1C was 8.0. he fasted for 28 days when he went back to food he first added bone broth then slowly added vegetables and then finally chicken. He lost 130 lb and now his A1C is 4.6. he did an awesome job not having to go on any meds.

Courtesy

I have similar issues with sleep waking up between 1am and 3am and not sure if it’s related to this glucose issue or negative impact of upstream/downstream hormones which are cut off during TRT. So far all drs are clueless as what it could be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on proper diagnosis or Dr which may know how to diagnose?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me