Bill Pearl (1930-2022): The Life of the 4-time Mr. Universe

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
Bill Pearl, the legendary bodybuilder, died this morning at 91. This is his story.

Bill Pearl was born on an Indian reservation in Oregon on October 31, 1930, and grew up in Yakima, Washington, where his dad owned a restaurant. “We all helped out; it was kind of a family affair. Every day after school I’d lug 100-pound bags of grain and beans over and over, and that eventually built up my endurance,” he remembered. Amazed by the physiques in a muscle magazine, Pearl saved up for a weight set. He began training regularly when a teenager, idolizing 1948 Mr. Universe John Grimek. While serving in the Navy and stationed at San Diego, he worked out at Stern’s Gym, coached by Leo Stern, who encouraged him to compete in bodybuilding.

Pearl entered two San Diego area bodybuilding contests in 1952, winning one. Then in 1953, the year he turned 23, he won, in order, Mr. Southern California, Mr. California, Mr. America, and Mr. Universe. He had only just begun and already he’d conquered the world of bodybuilding. “No one was more shocked than I was,” Pearl remembered of the Mr. America win. “Until that moment I hadn’t given competition serious consideration; my only real goal was to gain strength and size. Winning that contest changed me in a fundamental way. It opened up a door to another world. After the service I went into the gym business and began living and loving bodybuilding 24-7.”

Bill Pearl purchased a gym in Sacramento in 1954 and competed a couple times in 1956, winning the Mr. USA and the tall class of the Mr. Universe. He franchised his gyms to locations throughout Northern California. At 5’10″ and around 230 lbs., he competed only three more times, each time in the prestigious NABBA Pro Mr. Universe (held in London), winning in 1961, 1967, and 1971. Let’s focus on that last show. He was 41, goaded into competing by those who said he was over-the-hill, and he had converted to vegetarianism five years earlier. And he defeated the legendary Reg Park as well as 3-time Mr. Olympia Sergio Oliva and future 3-time Mr. Olympia Frank Zane. And all that 18 years after winning his first Mr. Universe title. Take that, haters!

Bill Pearl never competed in the Mr. Olympia, nor in Joe Weider’s IFBB. He could make a good argument that the NABBA Pro Mr. Universe was the superior contest in the 1960s, at least until Sergio Oliva and Arnold Schwarzenegger first faced off in 1969—and maybe not even then if you listened to Pearl. “I didn’t compete in the Olympia because I considered it a Mickey Mouse affair,” he explained. “Hell, there was one Olympia where only Arnold and Sergio competed [1969], and some guy from the audience jumped up and started to pose, so they gave him third place. I’m not knocking the IFBB, but at the time I thought the Olympia was created to promote the Weiders and their organization.”

Bill Pearl downsized his gym business. He moved to Los Angeles and focused on one gym, first a trailblazing bodybuilding place he purchased in southern-central Los Angeles and later a health club in Pasadena. He also traveled the world, guest-posing and performing strength feats like blowing up hot water bottles until they burst, spike bending, and tearing license plates in half with his bare hands. He mentored bodybuilders, including Chris Dickerson, who became the 1982 Mr. Olympia. He wrote frequently for muscle magazines, and he authored books, most notably Keys to the Inner Universe, an exhaustive compendium of weight-training exercises (over 1500 of them!) and bodybuilding knowledge.

In “retirement,” Bill and his longtime wife Judy moved to southern Oregon, where Bill woke at 3:00 AM each morning to train in his home gym. A consultant for Life Fitness training equipment, Pearl appeared at fitness expos and trade shows and conducted motivational seminars; and he continued to write in the Internet age, imparting his vast training and nutritional knowledge. “America was formed on a work ethic. It’s just like bodybuilding. you have to work for your physique. Nobody gives you those muscles. You have to put in your time; otherwise, you’ll have nothing,” the four-time Mr. Universe said.

A legend who dominated in three decades, Bill Pearl was one of the greatest bodybuilders of the ’50s and ’60s and into the ’70s. Our condolences to his family, friends, and many fans.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching