Best medication for anxiety?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Sides

For me, Valium has been a life-saver, although I do understand the potential problems with the benzodiazepines. I try to keep it to 10mg at night before sleep, and there's no way I can go to sleep without it. But when things get too stressful I have gone to 20 or 30mg, I try very hard to avoid that though because I know all too well that once I get used to the increased dose, I will need more and more.

Also, and this may seem common sense, but sometimes it's easy to neglect common sense...avoid stimulants. Too often I find myself in a vicious cycle of being sleepy in the morning from anti-anxiety meds the night before, then I take stimulants to wake up, only to have them trigger my anxiety and need to calm down. Drugs to get up and then drugs to get back down...we are best off avoiding both as much as possible.

I know how simplistic that seems, but I see too many people and myself getting caught up in a vicious cycle of "more and more and more", drugs to counteract the negative effects of other drugs. That's no way for any of us to live.

coltsblue1812

I agree with Sides on this! I cut out caffeine almost 5 years ago, and it's helped a lot! I also cut out all artificial sweeteners and try to avoid MSG, and both have helped. I haven't had alcohol in about 6 years. Decided that feeling good was more important than those things!

wondering

I can not overstate the risk of benzodiazepines. I was on Ativan for 6 months and went thru the absolute most horrendous withdrawal for over 18 months - as many describe a living hell.
It should only be taken to manage something like a fear of flying - in other words a single use. Do NOT use it for long term management of anxiety - it will just make it worse. It is worse than heroin, opioid withdrawal. See links below. PCPs are writing scripts for it like crazy and I think we have a silent epidemic going on causing higher rates of suicide. My withdrawal was just insane - incredible swings of anxiety, depression, lightheadedness, impossible to describe to someone that hasn't gone thru it. But a truly torturous existence.

I would encourage you to try meditation, exercise, yoga, etc. the MBSR program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn paved the way and proved it works. Try natural methods first.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome - Wikipedia

Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Information, Help & Support

James

All strong advice above. Kind of common sense, but let's face it sometimes we over complicate things when solutions done consistently over time, will produce results. I took 5mg of Lexapro for GAD and it helped, but nothing helped relieve anxiety for me the way a simple diet and exercise program did.

DragonBits

Blow jobs work pretty well.

Progesterone cream seems to work also, but not as fun. I would only use ~1/8 teaspoon of the cream, the one I use is 22 mg per 1/4 teaspoon.

appleheadq

TRT has definitely improved my quality of life in some areas but I still have crippling anxiety. For someone with mental health problems as severe as mine it doesn't look like Testosterone is going to be enough. I've had this anxiety/paranoia for my whole life, even as a kid. I don't feel depressed, it feels like i'm always "under the gun" and everyone is judging me. When i'm alone I get paranoid about life in general.

I plan to stay on TRT as it has helped a lot with fatigue and ED issues. And at least it hasn't made my anxiety worse.

Previous treatments: nardil, paxil, effexor, wellbutrin, CBT therapy, meditation, magnesium, almost every recommended anxiety supplement/vitamin, dhea, pregnenolone, benzodiazepines, phenibut.

None of those really helped except for Benzodiazepines. But they are not a long term solution. The next day rebound anxiety is almost as bad as the anxiety I took them to stop in the first place. When I do take them I limit it to 2 times/week maximum.

For those of you with really extreme anxiety which medications have worked?
Celexa is an antidepressant that I take daily at 20 mg that also works for anxiety and has a lot less side effects than paxil or zoloft. Wellbutrin and effexor can make it worse. I take Buspar for just the anxiety at 15 mg 3 times per day and that helps with the tough anxiety attacks and calms me down. I have a Master's degree in psychology and you really need to find a good psychologist that does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to work on your anxiety. That is the only proven therapy that does work to reduce your symptoms. The key is finding someone that is trained and is successful in treatment. You have to break down each irrational thought you are having and teach yourself a new way of thinking and why that thought is irrational. The same thing with fears. There is a step by step approach to facing your fears starting with visualization and moving through a series of steps until you are finally able to face the actual fear. There is hope for you but it will require meds and therapy. Buspar isn't addictive but if it isn't strong enough something like Klonopin may be required until therapy starts working. If you truely have paranoia that may be a different diagnosis and require different medication. Good luck to you.

wondering

For me, Valium has been a life-saver, although I do understand the potential problems with the benzodiazepines. I try to keep it to 10mg at night before sleep, and there's no way I can go to sleep without it. But when things get too stressful I have gone to 20 or 30mg, I try very hard to avoid that though because I know all too well that once I get used to the increased dose, I will need more and more.

Also, and this may seem common sense, but sometimes it's easy to neglect common sense...avoid stimulants. Too often I find myself in a vicious cycle of being sleepy in the morning from anti-anxiety meds the night before, then I take stimulants to wake up, only to have them trigger my anxiety and need to calm down. Drugs to get up and then drugs to get back down...we are best off avoiding both as much as possible.

I know how simplistic that seems, but I see too many people and myself getting caught up in a vicious cycle of "more and more and more", drugs to counteract the negative effects of other drugs. That's no way for any of us to live.

Read my post. You are playing with fire by taking it nightly. You can not sleep without it? Perhaps, dependency has taken hold. It is a serious poison.

Sides

Read my post. You are playing with fire by taking it nightly. You can not sleep without it? Perhaps, dependency has taken hold. It is a serious poison.

I read your post and I do appreciate your well-intended concern, thank you.

Dependency has certainly taken hold, as I have been taking Valium every night since 2015 (with a doctor's prescription, and under a doctor's care.) This does indeed worry me.

Yet for those of us with serious anxiety and OCD problems, there comes a time when approaches like meditation and yoga are just not going to cut it. And I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and I lift weights and get other exercise too much, if anything, so I am well-covered on that aspect.

Valium is one of the world's most prescribed medicines, and there are millions of people taking it safely, without problems. Like any medicine, there is an appropriate use, and then there is abuse. But it, or something like it, is a necessity for those of us who need it.

In a perfect world, none of us would need such things. But real life is a matter of dealing with the issues and problems you have, and trying to make the best choices you can in dealing with them. There are always better and worse choices, so we all try to choose the best choices that we can, and try to make things turn out for the best.

Vince

Super Moderator
TRT has definitely improved my quality of life in some areas but I still have crippling anxiety. For someone with mental health problems as severe as mine it doesn't look like Testosterone is going to be enough. I've had this anxiety/paranoia for my whole life, even as a kid. I don't feel depressed, it feels like i'm always "under the gun" and everyone is judging me. When i'm alone I get paranoid about life in general.

I plan to stay on TRT as it has helped a lot with fatigue and ED issues. And at least it hasn't made my anxiety worse.

Previous treatments: nardil, paxil, effexor, wellbutrin, CBT therapy, meditation, magnesium, almost every recommended anxiety supplement/vitamin, dhea, pregnenolone, benzodiazepines, phenibut.

None of those really helped except for Benzodiazepines. But they are not a long term solution. The next day rebound anxiety is almost as bad as the anxiety I took them to stop in the first place. When I do take them I limit it to 2 times/week maximum.

For those of you with really extreme anxiety which medications have worked?
Have you ever tried meditation? When I was in my twenties, many years ago LOL. I took a course on meditation, and meditated 20 minutes twice a day. I slept so good, had no issues sleeping 8 hours. I was working third shift at the time, it made it so easy for me to sleep. After a year I stopped, because my wife said it was taking up too much of our time.

wondering

Not meant to be a criticism, but a concern. May I recommend a more holistic or functional medicine physician. If you happen to be in California, Dr. Romeo Mariano. Taking small doses of Hydrocortisone is what saved me. HPA Dysfunction could be at root cause. Overtraining can lead to too much stress on HPA system that over time can take its toll. Identifying nutritional deficiencies as well - magnesium, iron, B vitamins, fat soluble minerals/vitamins. I have been in your shoes and know it is not easy.

Sides

Not meant to be a criticism, but a concern. May I recommend a more holistic or functional medicine physician. If you happen to be in California, Dr. Romeo Mariano. Taking small doses of Hydrocortisone is what saved me. HPA Dysfunction could be at root cause. Overtraining can lead to too much stress on HPA system that over time can take its toll. Identifying nutritional deficiencies as well - magnesium, iron, B vitamins, fat soluble minerals/vitamins. I have been in your shoes and know it is not easy.

I have no doubt that in my case, overtraining (to the point of obsession) and HPA dysfunction is a major part of the puzzle. As an old washed-up bodybuilder, I've taken way too many androgens and stimulants over the decades and done a lot of damage to my body. Nutritional deficiencies are probably not the issue...diet is very good by most people's standards and again, if anything I tend to overdo it and supplement with zinc, magnesium, high levels of Vitamin D and a variety of other vitamins/minerals. Toxicity is probably more of an issue than deficiency. Too much of too many things for way too long. But what and where to cut out...there's the tough part. Taking the things I've taken has got me to where I am today, for better and for worse.

If I was in California, I would check out the doctor you mentioned. But sadly I am in Massachusetts, and my doctors, TRT and otherwise, are crap. Need to find new ones.

wondering

Dr. Mariano does treat remotely, but does require an in-person visit once per year. But, maybe he could tune you up in a year. Nevertheless, a trip to Monterey would be expensive and I don't think he is cheap either. He is a psychiatrist by trade, but has spent tons of time on the online forums and is someone I would trust. I'm sure you could Google his name and find many of his posts - they were alway extremely thorough.

TLR

I read your post and I do appreciate your well-intended concern, thank you.

Dependency has certainly taken hold, as I have been taking Valium every night since 2015 (with a doctor's prescription, and under a doctor's care.) This does indeed worry me.

Yet for those of us with serious anxiety and OCD problems, there comes a time when approaches like meditation and yoga are just not going to cut it. And I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and I lift weights and get other exercise too much, if anything, so I am well-covered on that aspect.

Valium is one of the world's most prescribed medicines, and there are millions of people taking it safely, without problems. Like any medicine, there is an appropriate use, and then there is abuse. But it, or something like it, is a necessity for those of us who need it.

In a perfect world, none of us would need such things. But real life is a matter of dealing with the issues and problems you have, and trying to make the best choices you can in dealing with them. There are always better and worse choices, so we all try to choose the best choices that we can, and try to make things turn out for the best.
Yeah, you are dependent on it. Just like someone with high BP is dependent on Losartan or someone with hypogonadism is dependent on testosterone. If you have been steadily increasing your dose to keep feeling the original "feeling" you got from it then there might be cause for concern. However, I get so SICK of people hearing "benzo" and shitting their pants and ranting about how its gonna cause all these problems. APPROPRIATE USE has helped millions of people for a long time, and they WORK. I'm all for lifestyle and nutritional changes that can assist someone to maintain good psychological health. But at some point those don't stop pathological anxiety, just like they don't correct hypogonadism. But yet its okay to inject testosterone as long as you don't take something that stops panic attacks, allows you to function and helps you sleep. Give me a break.

wondering

I don't think we need to get nasty about it. And I am not judging. I developed dependence on Ativan and it was a horrific experience. Withdrawal was hell on earth. I am almost 2 years out from my last dose and still have some symptoms. Not sure we can compare all treatments - some are meant to take forever and some for short term. No-one should be on morphine for example forever (unless end of life palliation), but certainly makes sense for post-surgical pain relief. And I know the horrors of anxiety well. But, it is my humble opinion and many others that Benzos are not meant for long term use and up exacerbating the very symptoms it was trying to help. Meditation my not cure everyone, but will likely help. Diet, sleep, clean-food and living, therapy, EMDR, IASIS Neurofeedback, yoga, medical treatments like SSRIs, etc. etc. would be my recommendations ahead of long term Benzos and I think the literature supports it. Be well.

Gman86

I have no doubt that in my case, overtraining (to the point of obsession) and HPA dysfunction is a major part of the puzzle. As an old washed-up bodybuilder, I've taken way too many androgens and stimulants over the decades and done a lot of damage to my body. Nutritional deficiencies are probably not the issue...diet is very good by most people's standards and again, if anything I tend to overdo it and supplement with zinc, magnesium, high levels of Vitamin D and a variety of other vitamins/minerals. Toxicity is probably more of an issue than deficiency. Too much of too many things for way too long. But what and where to cut out...there's the tough part. Taking the things I've taken has got me to where I am today, for better and for worse.

If I was in California, I would check out the doctor you mentioned. But sadly I am in Massachusetts, and my doctors, TRT and otherwise, are crap. Need to find new ones.

I’m also in mass. I’m always curious if I live anywhere close to any other members. You don’t have to tell me what part of mass ur from if you don’t want. I’m from Methuen. Anywhere around that area?

And I’ve absolutely been where u are with the whole obsessed with what vitamins, minerals and supplements to take. I’m 33, and have been obsessed with health and wellness since I can remember. Back when I was around 11 I remember being into health. And I have a kind of perfectionist mentality. I’m always trying to think of ways to do things optimally, and I research things like crazy. It can be an annoying quality to have sometimes, but I feel has served me well in life, more than it has been an annoyance or hinderance. But anyways, if you ever want to talk about what supplements to take, or not to take, and how to get off of Valium, just private message me, I’d be more than happy to help you out. I guarantee I can help you get off of Valium eventually, if that’s a goal of yours.

I’m a nurse, and have been in the medical field for around 13 years now. First 5 years of my career, I worked in a psych/ drug detox hospital. So I’m well aware of the consequences of going off of certain medications. Benzos, like Valium, are definitely not something you can just go off of cold turkey. It can be deadly. But there’s 100% hope for you. Again, depending on how bad you want to eliminate the need for benzos in your life.

Lastly, if you need a good TRT clinic, don’t waste anytime stressing about it. Call up Defy and get started with them. Been with them for 2-3 years now, and can’t even explain how amazing they are. Literally couldn’t be happier with them. They’re the perfect clinic, imo. I don’t think it’s humanly possible to get better. They don’t pay me to say that btw lol. I’m not affiliated with them in any way. Just been through a few other horrible clinics, and am beyond grateful to have found Defy. It’s literally everything a person could want in an HRT clinic, and then some.

Last edited:

Mr S

I’m also in mass. I’m always curious if I live anywhere close to any other members. You don’t have to tell me what part of mass ur from if you don’t want. I’m from Methuen. Anywhere around that area?

And I’ve absolutely been where u are with the whole obsessed with what vitamins, minerals and supplements to take. I’m 33, and have been obsessed with health and wellness since I can remember. Back when I was around 11 I remember being into health. And I have a kind of perfectionist mentality. I’m always trying to think of ways to do things optimally, and I research things like crazy. It can be an annoying quality to have sometimes, but I feel has served me well in life, more than it has been an annoyance or hinderance. But anyways, if you ever want to talk about what supplements to take, or not to take, and how to get off of Valium, just private message me, I’d be more than happy to help you out. I guarantee I can help you get off of Valium eventually, if that’s a goal of yours.

I’m a nurse, and have been in the medical field for around 13 years now. First 5 years of my career, I worked in a psych/ drug detox hospital. So I’m well aware of the consequences of going off of certain medications. Benzos, like Valium, are definitely not something you can just go off of cold turkey. It can be deadly. But there’s 100% hope for you. Again, depending on how bad you want to eliminate the need for benzos in your life.

Lastly, if you need a good TRT clinic, don’t waste anytime stressing about it. Call up Defy and get started with them. Been with them for 2-3 years now, and can’t even explain how amazing they are. Literally couldn’t be happier with them. They’re the perfect clinic, imo. I don’t think it’s humanly possible to get better. They don’t pay me to say that btw lol. I’m not affiliated with them in any way. Just been through a few other horrible clinics, and am beyond grateful to have found Defy. It’s literally everything a person could want in an HRT clinic, and then some.
I live in Massachusetts too, Natick to be exact.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me