Aspirin before CBC test to affect Hematocrit

Buy Lab Tests Online

TorontoTRT

Hey guys, would taking aspirin right before a blood test have any effect on hematocrit values? How about acute water ingestion? Or is the water ingestion something that has visible effects only when you drink enough daily? I drink at least 2 litres a day.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

captain

Water will change your level. It will also change BUN level. When over hydrating your BUN will be low. Aspirin I don't think will change Hematocrit unless you develop a bleeding Ulcer.

madman

Super Moderator
Hey guys, would taking aspirin right before a blood test have any effect on hematocrit values? How about acute water ingestion? Or is the water ingestion something that has visible effects only when you drink enough daily? I drink at least 2 litres a day.

Aspirin will have an effect on platelets not hematocrit.

The only way aspirin would lower ones hematocrit level is when it causes gastrointestinal bleeding.

Aspirin is also used as an antiplatelet/platelet aggregation inhibitor (to keep your blood from sticking together).

Regarding water intake hydration/electrolytes is critical and will impact hematocrit levels.

Forget about just hydrating the day of lab work.....you should concentrate on fluid intake/electrolytes days before and make sure to add some sodium (himalayan, sea salt) to your diet.

Aspirin
Mechanism of action: Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) irreversibly inhibits prostaglandin H synthase (cyclooxygenase-1) in platelets and megakaryocytes, and thereby blocks the formation of thromboxane A2 (TXA2; a potent vasoconstrictor and platelet aggregant). It is only the parent form, acetylsalicylic acid, which has any significant effect on platelet function. Because platelets are unable to regenerate cyclooxygenase, the immediate antithrombotic effect of aspirin remains for the lifespan of the platelet (8–10 days). As, after stopping aspirin therapy, normal haemostasis may be regained when about 20% of platelets have normal cyclooxygenase activity, daily aspirin intake is recommended.

T

tareload

Aspirin will have an effect on platelets not hematocrit.
Does not appear to be well known.

Anecdotal and literature data indicates it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tareload

Chronic intake of Aspirin like all NSAIDS can increase the extracellular blood volume (more water in blood), which theoretically may reduce the hematocrit %. However it is not clear how large the effect is in healthy individuals:

The effect of aspirin on hemorheological parameters of patients with diabetic retinopathy J Vekasi 1 , K Koltai, V Gaal, A Toth, I Juricskay, G Kesmarky
Thought I had attached that one as well. Darn it. Thanks.

EDIT: whoops nevermind. It was in the shared link above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackhawk

The hypothetical discussion is interesting, but another case where I have to ask the question, what is the motivation of the OP: To cheat the test or get an accurate lab result to guide appropriate health decisions?

BigTex

Exactly, asprin has a 1/2 life of about 2-6 hours. Once the asprin wears off the HTC is going to be high again. A solution is needed not a bandage. However, I am going to give that a try the next time I do blood work. I will take 650mg of asprin about 1 hour before testing.

T

tareload

Exactly, asprin has a 1/2 life of about 2-6 hours. Once the asprin wears off the HTC is going to be high again. A solution is needed not a bandage. However, I am going to give that a try the next time I do blood work. I will take 650mg of asprin about 1 hour before testing.
My reading of the literature shared above indicates aspirin may have an irreversible effect on RBC machinery irrespective of its short half life. Hence it may not be just an acute effect where duration of effect matches mean residence time of the drug. This would be similar to its effect on platelets. Lots of literature on platelet effect.

One way to test this hypothesis would be to pull a reticulocyte test at multiple times points after a short trial of aspirin.

BigTex

@readalot, I am very interested in this research trust me. However, I have been taking asprin for a while and have seen no differencein my HTC readings, unless it is every worse that 57% before the asprin. I was thinking it might be I took it early in the morning and tested in the afternoon. But if it has an irreversible effect on RBC irrespective of its short half life then the time of day I take the asprin should make no difference. Like I said, I am going to take the asprin closer to testing and see if I see any difference. I would love to see this work because I heard too much crap about me talking asprin and Eliquis every morning from doctors who look at me funny. But then they don't have to put up with the morning pain either.

Blackhawk

@readalot, I am very interested in this research trust me. However, I have been taking asprin for a while and have seen no differencein my HTC readings, unless it is every worse that 57% before the asprin. I was thinking it might be I took it early in the morning and tested in the afternoon. But if it has an irreversible effect on RBC irrespective of its short half life then the time of day I take the asprin should make no difference. Like I said, I am going to take the asprin closer to testing and see if I see any difference. I would love to see this work because I heard too much crap about me talking asprin and Eliquis every morning from doctors who look at me funny. But then they don't have to put up with the morning pain either.

You would have to bleed heavily while replacing plasma volume to make a significant difference on HCT in that kind of short time interval.

sammmy

I would love to see this work because I heard too much crap about me talking asprin and Eliquis every morning from doctors who look at me funny. But then they don't have to put up with the morning pain either.

You could try liposomal turmeric to reduce the inflammatory pain. Plain turmeric doesn't absorb well.

T

tareload

That is great feedback. I am sorry it has not worked for you. I do 325 mg every morning. Similar boat to you with the pain. Another genetic component to unravel?

Keepfit1

Aspirin wont affect your Hct and it wont alter level of platelets but it does make them less sticky hence aspirin is good for anti clotting at low doses say 75mg.
Water will affect the Hct, if you want to keep your Hct low as poss drink water for at least the day before the test and have the blood test later in the day as Hct drops as the day goes on,ie as you hydrate more, or at least be up 2-3 hours before test and drink a few large glasses of water. You can only hydrate so much and your Hct wont drop any more as your body adjusts. Being dehydrated increases Hct and so does alcohol in the days before, ditto with flying.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me