Are erections on tadalafil normal while we sleep?

Gef

I know that Tadalafil is not meant to give you an erection without arousal but is it a typical side effect to have erections during the night even though you are sleeping alone and not aroused?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I know that Tadalafil is not meant to give you an erection without arousal but is it a typical side effect to have erections during the night even though you are sleeping alone and not aroused?
It's common for men to wake up with an erection, informally called a "morning glory". This is in fact the last in the series of night-time erections. The cause of night-time erections isn't fully understood. But studies suggest they're closely associated with the phase of sleep known as rapid eye movement (REM) sleep.
1603531571380.png

National Health Service › uk
5 penis facts - NHS

madman

Super Moderator

NPT(nocturnal penile tumescence) occurs in healthy men throughout their life.

PDE-5 inhibitors are vasodilators and low dose daily use (tadalafil) will enhance the quality/duration of erections one experiences during sleep.

Vascular health is critical for erectile function.

*Normal NPTR includes 3-6 tumescence periods, with at least 1 erectile event having tip rigidity >60% last an average of 10-15 minutes during 8 hours of monitoring.

*Normal NPTR indicates that vascular and neural supplies of the penis, as well as the penile structures, are intact.

The Role of Nocturnal Penile Tumescence and Rigidity (NPTR) Monitoring in the Diagnosis of Psychogenic Erectile Dysfunction: A Review

Nocturnal Penile Tumescence and Rigidity Halverson et al43 first recorded spontaneous penile erection in infants during sleeping in the scientific literature in 1940, and Ohlmeyer et al44 and van Driel 45 recorded the phenomenon in healthy men in 1944. Afterward, Fisher et al46 reported that spontaneous erections were usually in conjunction with the rapid eye movement phase. Normal NPTR includes 3-6 tumescence periods, with at least 1 erectile event having tip rigidity >60% last an average of 10-15 minutes during 8 hours of monitoring.47 NPT are present in healthy men throughout their whole life and represent an intrinsic mechanism to protect the morphologic and dynamic integrity of the corpora cavernosa by regulating oxygen-required biologic processes.48 The definite regulation mechanisms of NPT are not clear, but there is some evidence indicating that NPT is associated with neurovascular mechanisms and hormonal control.47 In addition, spinal regulation has been proven important for nocturnal erectile activity. Schmid et al49 found that nocturnal erections of normal quality required preservation of thoracolumbar and sacral neuronal control, as well as partially intact connections between the spinal erection centers and brain areas responsible for sexual arousal. Suh et al50 found that the isolated cervical cord was more critical than the isolated thoracic cord in maintaining NPT.

Normal NPTR indicates that vascular and neural supplies of the penis, as well as the penile structures, are intact. In the study by Yilmaz et al51 with the immunohistochemical method, it was found that the content of penile smooth muscle cells (pSMC) in patients with ED and with normal NPTR was equal to the content of pSMC in men with normal EF but was significantly more than the content of pSMC in patients with ED and with abnormal NPTR. Since its introduction in 1970,52, the measurement of NPTR has been used as a diagnostic approach in the evaluation of ED, especially in the differentiation of causes. The general belief is that a normal NPTR recording in a man with ED complaints may suggest pED, whereas an abnormal pattern recording is indicative of organic ED.

Last edited:

Seth

Ever since I've been taking it, I have many erections during the night. Sometimes I wake up and I'm so hard, it almost hurts. Also, morning wood every morning. Got to say, that I really like it.

madman

Super Moderator
Aside from having a healthy vascular system and optimal hormone levels getting quality sleep is critical.

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me
how to save your marriage