Anybody on Statin Drugs?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Cyclingislife

Statins are the single biggest fraud by the pharma industry! The most recent studies show zero.zero % benefit. Early studies on statins were manipulated by big Pharma, they lied about adverse effect, death rates & benefits. I was on Crestor for a decade, couldn’t think clearly, horrible brain fog, low T, etc. The best decision I ever made was to quit them. I feel like I got my life back. Statins will not reduce your chances of having a first heart attack. You either have heart disease or you don’t. Watch Dr. Nadir Ali’s videos, he will set the record straight based on facts, results based medicine and real data, it will open your mind to the truth.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
I recently had my annual physical with my primary care doctor. My numbers were perfect, 26 BMI, cholesterol 173, blood pressure 110/78, resting pulse 54. I was shocked when my doctor emailed me after and said that I had a 12.5% risk of heart attack and that I should be on a statin drug. She prescribed Lipitor. When I called and inquired why, as all my numbers were good, she told me that I had two major risk factors. One is that I am 68 years old and the other is that I am a male. No other risk factors. I’m wondering how many guys here over the age of 65 have been prescribed a statin drug. Naturally, I refused this but I am wondering how many guys here have been told the same thing because of age and gender that we are at risk for heart attack and need to be on a statin?

They aren’t happy unless EVERYONE is on prescription drugs. ‍♂️

bruin

I have had 3 primary docs in the last 18 mos, as they all are retiring and am now on the hunt for a new Dr. Since my labs for the past yr are within normal ranges, am considering stopping the Lipitor and will revisit the regimen with the new primary within the next couple of months.

barry1

I recently had my annual physical with my primary care doctor. My numbers were perfect, 26 BMI, cholesterol 173, blood pressure 110/78, resting pulse 54. I was shocked when my doctor emailed me after and said that I had a 12.5% risk of heart attack and that I should be on a statin drug. She prescribed Lipitor. When I called and inquired why, as all my numbers were good, she told me that I had two major risk factors. One is that I am 68 years old and the other is that I am a male. No other risk factors. I’m wondering how many guys here over the age of 65 have been prescribed a statin drug. Naturally, I refused this but I am wondering how many guys here have been told the same thing because of age and gender that we are at risk for heart attack and need to be on a statin?
Go get a cardiac calcium scan. It will help you assess risk. My primary care was pushing a statin for my total chol 212. I reminded him my cardiac ca+ scan perfect. "Never mind" he said.

VacationMan

Want the truth? Go get a cardiac calcium test performed. It's like a MRI, but measures the amount of blockage in your heart (i.e. are you a candidate for a stint or bypass surgery). If your left ventricle [the widow maker] isn't significantly clogged and you don't have total cholesterol above 200, you do -not- need statins.

I'd find another doc, IMHO.

Vince

Super Moderator
Want the truth? Go get a cardiac calcium test performed. It's like a MRI, but measures the amount of blockage in your heart (i.e. are you a candidate for a stint or bypass surgery). If your left ventricle [the widow maker] isn't significantly clogged and you don't have total cholesterol above 200, you do -not- need statins.

I'd find another doc, IMHO.
That isn't completely true. It doesn't mean you have a blockage, it measures the amount of calcify plaque you have in the arteries. Many men have high amounts of plaque but no blockage. If the plaque grows slowly enough and your arteries adjust by becoming larger you will not need a stent or bypass surgery.

I know men with low scores and have had heart attacks and men with high numbers and no events.

It's the fast growing, soft plaque that causes blockages.

Smokey

Don’t do it, statins are proven to cause Alzheimer’s

robegu

There are so many things you can take that are natural and have no side effect that help prevent heart attacks, from fish oils to Nattokinase. Doctors prescribe statins because they are taught to do so by big pharma. Its a complete scam its almost as big as the scam they have pulled with SSRIs. I was put on them around 20 years ago, I had muscle pains so bad I could barely get out of bed! Never used them since and I have "high cholesterol" and will be 67 next week. Tell your doctor you wont take them.

mooseman109

I am on 20 mg of crestor. Had an MI 4 years ago that was close to killing me. 100% occulsion Chol was not high before, but not low. BP was normal before. Been on statins since. Numbers are good. No side effects for me. I know others do

There are so many things you can take that are natural and have no side effect that help prevent heart attacks, from fish oils to Nattokinase. Doctors prescribe statins because they are taught to do so by big pharma. Its a complete scam its almost as big as the scam they have pulled with SSRIs. I was put on them around 20 years ago, I had muscle pains so bad I could barely get out of bed! Never used them since and I have "high cholesterol" and will be 67 next week. Tell your doctor you wont take them.

I did that the next day. Also take fish oil twice a day, vitamin D3 and B12. Work out and hour per day alternating bands and dumbbells one day, yoga the next. Each workout in the cardio zone. Average a couple of hours or more each day doing farm work and heat my home mostly with wood I log from my own property. I know that anyone can have a heart attack or stroke, but I am already doing those natural things you are talking about.

Ribeye

What is your LDL and HDL, and the ratio? There are specific guidelines, that show what the HDL should be, or rather, by having it below a certain number, you reduce risk. If yours is already low, I would ask her how its going to reduce my risk? In addition, the ratio of HDL to LDL also can show reduced risk. HDL is largely hereditary, and somewhat exercise influenced. If your ratio is good, that also predicts reduced risk. In your case, with a good ratio, (high HDL vs. LDL level) it might be good enough reason to not take or need a statin. But, the fact you are male and older (like me) puts you at higher risk should be no surprise for anyone. Cardiovascular risk simply increases with age no matter what. Sounds to me like your doc is trying to be proactive in keeping you from having an "event" which if it happens, puts you at risk for additional events. I.E. events = heart attacks. If you do need to further reduce your LDL, fish oils don't work well for most people at all and even in the best of circumstances have modest benefit. I have been taking atorvastatin for a long time, with no issues, or side effects, and it dropped my LDL like a rock. Mine is now under 100, and my ratio of HDL to LDL is greatly improved just because of the drop in LDL. Bottom line, risk is significantly reduced.

MarkP

I did a full heart/cardiovascular analyses including Heart CT, etc. in the past year.
I have low levels of coronary plaque, and my cardiologist recommended 5mg crestor and a baby aspiring daily. I held off for months, due to research about new science on baby aspirin, etc.
Started both last week, and within 4-5 days I have developed a sharp stabbing pain right above my right kidney. Also had intermittent stabbing pain in my left bicep (I'm left-handed) in the night. These pains do not feel like muscle pains which I'm very familiar with - I work out and I play tennis. These feel like a knife stuck in one spot in each place.
Anyone experience anything like this on statins?
Or is this just a coincidence?
I'm 60 btw.

Thanks,
Mark

Jrsav

I have Multiple Myeloma, strong remission. 63 years old. Stem cell transplant last year.
I get DaraFaspro & 20 mg dexamethasone monthly for maintenance.
I have monthly blood work

I was on 10 mg Revlimid daily, but quit 3 months ago to get away from the side effects.

I also have congestive heart failure & occassionally arrythmia.
Neither are bad and I've been untreated for this for about 15 years after having many allergic reactions to the medications.

I've had many bad reactions to meds.

I started 2mg testosterone patches a week ago. But after reading, I am quitting as of today. I don't know that my testosterone is low enough to justify treatment at this point.

The Dr. Also wants me on a statin.
Any opinions on anything would be appreciated.

I recently tested low for testosterone,
12-15-2022
Testosterone Level
Your Value
201.50 ng/dL
Standard Range
200.00 - 750.00 ng/dL

1-17-2023
Testost Free
Your Value
2.99 ng/dL
Standard Range
5.00 - 21.00 ng/dL
Flag
L
% Free Testost
Your Value
1.78 %
Standard Range
1.50 - 4.20 %

Testosterone Tot LC/MS
Your Value
168.1 ng/dL
1675002388530.png

high cholesterol

Cholesterol - Total

Your Value255.00 mg/dl

High Density Lipoprotein Chol

Your Value52.00 mg/dL

LDL Calculation

Your Value145 mg/dL

Standard Range50 - 159 mg/dL

Expected Range:

< 100 mg/dL- Optimal
100 - 129 mg/dL- Near optimal
130 - 159 mg/dL- Borderline high
160 - 190 mg/dL- High
> 190 mg/dL- Very high

Cholesterol HDL Ratio

Your Value4.9 Ratio

Standard Range5.0 - 9.5 Ratio

FlagL

Non-HDL Cholesterol

Your Value203 mg/dL

Standard Rangemg/dL

NCEP ATIII guidelines for non-HDL cholesterol are 30 mg/dL higher than LDL target levels.

& triglycerides.

Triglycerides

Your Value291 mg/dL

Standard Range0 - 149 mg/dL

. High potassium - 5.8

I suffer from exhaustion. I'm hoping that will get better as the Revlimid side effects - the worst side effect was diarrhea - continue to subside.
But I might be as good as I can get.
I eat a nutritious diet and avoid sugar, processed foods, especially msg, we rarely go out to eat.

Guided_by_Voices

One of the first things to look at related to heart failure is magnesium, since low magnesium (which most people have if they don't supplement aggressively) plays a large role in heart failure. There are lots of other things which could be affecting you (e.g. thyroid) so it's hard to say much about your other questions other than low T could cause numerous issues and raising it is one of the most low-risk interventions you can do. Statin are a tangled web however review the thread here on heart-healthy action which are better than statins and be sure you are doing all those things before considering them.

DragonBits

I have Multiple Myeloma, strong remission. 63 years old. Stem cell transplant last year.
I get DaraFaspro & 20 mg dexamethasone monthly for maintenance.
I have monthly blood work

I was on 10 mg Revlimid daily, but quit 3 months ago to get away from the side effects.

I also have congestive heart failure & occassionally arrythmia.
Neither are bad and I've been untreated for this for about 15 years after having many allergic reactions to the medications.

I've had many bad reactions to meds.

I started 2mg testosterone patches a week ago. But after reading, I am quitting as of today. I don't know that my testosterone is low enough to justify treatment at this point.

The Dr. Also wants me on a statin.
Any opinions on anything would be appreciated.

I recently tested low for testosterone,
12-15-2022
Testosterone Level
Your Value
201.50 ng/dL
Standard Range
200.00 - 750.00 ng/dL

1-17-2023
Testost Free
Your Value
2.99 ng/dL
Standard Range
5.00 - 21.00 ng/dL
Flag
L
% Free Testost
Your Value
1.78 %
Standard Range
1.50 - 4.20 %

Testosterone Tot LC/MS
Your Value
168.1 ng/dL
View attachment 28767

high cholesterol

Cholesterol - Total

Your Value255.00 mg/dl

High Density Lipoprotein Chol

Your Value52.00 mg/dL

LDL Calculation

Your Value145 mg/dL

Standard Range50 - 159 mg/dL

Expected Range:

< 100 mg/dL- Optimal
100 - 129 mg/dL- Near optimal
130 - 159 mg/dL- Borderline high
160 - 190 mg/dL- High
> 190 mg/dL- Very high

Cholesterol HDL Ratio

Your Value4.9 Ratio

Standard Range5.0 - 9.5 Ratio

FlagL

Non-HDL Cholesterol

Your Value203 mg/dL

Standard Rangemg/dL

NCEP ATIII guidelines for non-HDL cholesterol are 30 mg/dL higher than LDL target levels.

& triglycerides.

Triglycerides

Your Value291 mg/dL

Standard Range0 - 149 mg/dL

. High potassium - 5.8

I suffer from exhaustion. I'm hoping that will get better as the Revlimid side effects - the worst side effect was diarrhea - continue to subside.
But I might be as good as I can get.
I eat a nutritious diet and avoid sugar, processed foods, especially msg, we rarely go out to eat.
IMO people with serious health conditions are difficult to advise on a forum whether they should start TRT. Serous meds like DaraFaspro dexamethasone Revlimid.

So you should consult with your doctors.

Males with Multiple Myeloma tend to have lower testosterone than average, they also usually have lower albumin. It appears that TRT is sometimes recommended.

Men with low T tend to feel more tired, so from that aspect TRT would likely help.

As far as a statin, they can lower triglycerides by 20-40% though they can also cause greater fatigue.

You could get a calcium score for calcification of arteries to see where you currently stand. Again, consult your doctor first.

Life expectancy is reduced with Multiple Myeloma while heart / plague build up is a slow process. I would ask your doctor what he expects to gain with a statin. Sure, it will reduce triglycerides / ldl, but will you live long enough for that to really matter? (Sorry to read about your health problems, but I am sure you are aware of this.)

TRT will likely give you more energy, but it could also have some sort of negative effect on your current treatment protocol. I just don't know, at this point, a real professional like your own doctors would have a better understanding of this.

BTW, your 2mg testosterone patches, weren't they prescribed by a doctor? What was the opinion of the doctor that treats your myeloma? The way you wrote this, it suggests that maybe you did it on your own, since you decided to quit.

Glad you are in remission, hope it stays that way, good luck.

==================================
Article about testosterone and Multiple Myeloma,

The researchers also explored whether there was any association between testosterone levels and overall survival among the participants in their study. Despite approaching the issue from several different perspectives, the researchers could not find any significant evidence of such an association.

Only in one case – a comparison of survival in male participants with the highest and lowest testosterone levels – was there an indication that overall survival might be lower in patients with lower testosterone levels. The difference in survival between the two groups of males patients, however, was not statistically significant.

Jrsav

IMO people with serious health conditions are difficult to advise on a forum whether they should start TRT. Serous meds like DaraFaspro dexamethasone Revlimid.

So you should consult with your doctors.

Males with Multiple Myeloma tend to have lower testosterone than average, they also usually have lower albumin. It appears that TRT is sometimes recommended.

Men with low T tend to feel more tired, so from that aspect TRT would likely help.

As far as a statin, they can lower triglycerides by 20-40% though they can also cause greater fatigue.

You could get a calcium score for calcification of arteries to see where you currently stand. Again, consult your doctor first.

Life expectancy is reduced with Multiple Myeloma while heart / plague build up is a slow process. I would ask your doctor what he expects to gain with a statin. Sure, it will reduce triglycerides / ldl, but will you live long enough for that to really matter? (Sorry to read about your health problems, but I am sure you are aware of this.)

TRT will likely give you more energy, but it could also have some sort of negative effect on your current treatment protocol. I just don't know, at this point, a real professional like your own doctors would have a better understanding of this.

BTW, your 2mg testosterone patches, weren't they prescribed by a doctor? What was the opinion of the doctor that treats your myeloma? The way you wrote this, it suggests that maybe you did it on your own, since you decided to quit.

Glad you are in remission, hope it stays that way, good luck.

==================================
Article about testosterone and Multiple Myeloma,

The researchers also explored whether there was any association between testosterone levels and overall survival among the participants in their study. Despite approaching the issue from several different perspectives, the researchers could not find any significant evidence of such an association.

Only in one case – a comparison of survival in male participants with the highest and lowest testosterone levels – was there an indication that overall survival might be lower in patients with lower testosterone levels. The difference in survival between the two groups of males patients, however, was not statistically significant.

One Dr. Said, You have a lot going on.
Current oncologist offers not much on anything but MM treatment.
I now only go to Mayo, maybe annually.
I don't have confidence in the Dr. That prescribed the patches.
From what I read of the side effects. I decided to see how things go without the patches for a couple more months or so.

What other types of Drs should I be looking for?

Drs here are very hit and miss.

I know several people that were killed by the Drs.at the local hospital..

I won't go back to Chicago/Crooked County.

I quit going to Indianapolis because I wasn't holding up to the trip anymore.
Time wise, Indianapolis is not much different than going to Chicago, bonus of not as many shootings, auto traffic tickets or crazy traffic

Throughout this whole adventure, I've got my best advice and information from forums, societies, Facebook pages , fellow patients

Last edited:

Blackhawk

One Dr. Said, You have a lot going on.
Current oncologist offers not much on anything but MM treatment.
I now only go to Mayo, maybe annually.
I don't have confidence in the Dr. That prescribed the patches.
From what I read of the side effects. I decided to see how things go without the patches for a couple more months or so.

What other types of Drs should I be looking for?

Drs here are very hit and miss.

I know several people that were killed by the Drs.at the local hospital..

I won't go back to Chicago/Crooked County.

I quit going to Indianapolis because I wasn't holding up to the trip anymore.
It's not much different than going to Chicago, not as many shootings or crazy traffic.

Throughout this whole adventure, I've got my best advice and information from forums, societies, Facebook pages , fellow patients

I have a different leukemia brother, commiserations and virtual support to you!

I've been on testosterone the whole time.

Doctor's general knowledge/understanding of testosterone/TRT is dismal. The ONLY doctor I have that does is Dr Saya at Defy Medical. My other doctors: 2 lymph hem/onc specialists, cardiologist, urologist, PCP, Pulmonologist, Infectious disease, Ortho, NONE of them knows this kind of info. I am above board and withhold nothing form any of them. I have ditched a couple ( a PCP and a urologist) that were misinformed and wanted to change my routine based on archaic information, and a cardiologist who still thinks that taking testosterone increases cardiac risk.

What I am saying is that it can be a very hard road finding a hormone doc who actually knows how to manage TRT well, especially if you are trying to stay within insurance constraints. And with co-morbidities, that specialty niche is that much more important. With cancer, the only thing I'd be concerned with is whether the cancer is hormone driven. My Leukemia is not. Not that it couldn;t happen, but I have had no drug interaction issues with TRT.

And with the cancer related stuff I've been through, my liver was affected which changed my response to testosterone and thyroid. Dr Saya worked through all of this with me, we adjusted as needed.

Jrsav

I have a different leukemia brother, commiserations and virtual support to you!

I've been on testosterone the whole time.

Doctor's general knowledge/understanding of testosterone/TRT is dismal. The ONLY doctor I have that does is Dr Saya at Defy Medical. My other doctors: 2 lymph hem/onc specialists, cardiologist, urologist, PCP, Pulmonologist, Infectious disease, Ortho, NONE of them knows this kind of info. I am above board and withhold nothing form any of them. I have ditched a couple ( a PCP and a urologist) that were misinformed and wanted to change my routine based on archaic information, and a cardiologist who still thinks that taking testosterone increases cardiac risk.

What I am saying is that it can be a very hard road finding a hormone doc who actually knows how to manage TRT well, especially if you are trying to stay within insurance constraints. And with co-morbidities, that specialty niche is that much more important. With cancer, the only thing I'd be concerned with is whether the cancer is hormone driven. My Leukemia is not. Not that it couldn;t happen, but I have had no drug interaction issues with TRT.

And with the cancer related stuff I've been through, my liver was affected which changed my response to testosterone and thyroid. Dr Saya worked through all of this with me, we adjusted as needed.
Thank you very much.
I am high risk with damaged chromosomes

SkiDaddy

Anyone on a Statin should be on Ubiquinol a reduced form of CoQ10 which will reduce most side effects.
Statins deplete this which causes all kinds of side effects that include aches, tiredness and so many other problems associated with taking statins.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me