Anybody on Statin Drugs?

Buy Lab Tests Online
I recently had my annual physical with my primary care doctor. My numbers were perfect, 26 BMI, cholesterol 173, blood pressure 110/78, resting pulse 54. I was shocked when my doctor emailed me after and said that I had a 12.5% risk of heart attack and that I should be on a statin drug. She prescribed Lipitor. When I called and inquired why, as all my numbers were good, she told me that I had two major risk factors. One is that I am 68 years old and the other is that I am a male. No other risk factors. I’m wondering how many guys here over the age of 65 have been prescribed a statin drug. Naturally, I refused this but I am wondering how many guys here have been told the same thing because of age and gender that we are at risk for heart attack and need to be on a statin?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
T

tareload

I recently had my annual physical with my primary care doctor. My numbers were perfect, 26 BMI, cholesterol 173, blood pressure 110/78, resting pulse 54. I was shocked when my doctor emailed me after and said that I had a 12.5% risk of heart attack and that I should be on a statin drug. She prescribed Lipitor. When I called and inquired why, as all my numbers were good, she told me that I had two major risk factors. One is that I am 68 years old and the other is that I am a male. No other risk factors. I’m wondering how many guys here over the age of 65 have been prescribed a statin drug. Naturally, I refused this but I am wondering how many guys here have been told the same thing because of age and gender that we are at risk for heart attack and need to be on a statin?
Post your lipids-c / NMR data. What is your trig/hdl-c ratio? LDL-p?

cRP / any other inflammation markers measured?

I am missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guided_by_Voices

Dr. Kendrick did a post about this exact issue. The guidelines have become so corrupted that everyone eventually falls into the statin category. Sounds like a bad doctor. And then there's this...

t_spacemonkey

I told my pharma rep ('doc') to stop bothering me with cholesterol levels.
those people truly want you sick. they even recommended bumping my seed oil consumption. fuck those people.
I take every single thing they tell me as a lie, unless proven otherwise.
last time I went in she told me 'you look tan, are you using sunscreen'? I felt like throwing that lady out the window. I do spent 2h each day full body sun peak UV time.
/rant over

Dr. Kendrick did a post about this exact issue. The guidelines have become so corrupted that everyone eventually falls into the statin category. Sounds like a bad doctor. And then there's this...

The nurse told me that I had two risk factor, over 65 and male. Why would I take a Med for a condition I don’t have?

MDavidW76

It’s something like a 14 Billion dollar industry in the USA… they keep dropping the ranges to get more and more people on Statins.

“The survival gains we found are surprisingly small. The highest value was 27 days, found in the 4S study, achieved by 5.8 years of simvastatin therapy in participants with a history of unstable angina or myocardial infarction. Experience from studies of preferences, when presented with similar scenarios, shows that as many as 70% of lay persons would not accept such a treatment.

There are also studies from Norway showing that Statins are junk, and that women with a total cholesterol level below 250 died before those with that level.

When my heart doctor wants to see a magic number I pretty much tank my cholesterol via food choices and combined meds and supps… he was so happy with my numbers… ok, whatever… I don’t eat high fat to begin with so it’s all horse crap…

Blackhawk

This is a menu for research articles and studies from Pub med, NIH etc. You can click through on each to find the actual abstracts and studies.

There are numerous studies on pub Med that indicate the effects of them on men in my situation are inconsequential and could be counter productive. They are now giving risk factors that cannot be controlled, age and gender. I am not as critical about medicine as most guys here, but I do think you have to be involved and do your own research.

I also contacted Men’s Health Boston, Abraham Morgentaler’s clinic, where I get TRT and they sent me this article which indicates that TRT is preventative for high cholesterol:

Vince

Super Moderator
Most preventative doctors won't prescribe a statin unless you have coronary plaque. That's why you should get a heart scan if your arteries are clean. No reason for a statin. A statin will help stabilize your plaque, that's basically the only reason to use one.

Most preventative doctors won't prescribe a statin unless you have coronary plaque. That's why you should get a heart scan if your arteries are clean. No reason for a statin. A statin will help stabilize your plaque, that's basically the only reason to use one.

With the numbers I have I would think that an insurance company would need to see more than that to pay for a heart scan.

Vince

Super Moderator
With the numbers I have I would think that an insurance company would need to see more than that to pay for a heart scan.
Insurance doesn't pay for heart scans. They're very inexpensive and most hospitals do them. I'm surprised your doctor didn't recommend you having one. Especially since he recommended you taking a statin.

Vince

Super Moderator

Insurance doesn't pay for heart scans. They're very inexpensive and most hospitals do them. I'm surprised your doctor didn't recommend you having one. Especially since he recommended you taking a statin.

They told me why they recommended it for me. Because I am a male and 68 years old. No reason for a heart scan. It is “recommended” by the American Cardiology Association as a preventative. Some PCPs don’t mention it if you have no risks from blood tests. For others it has become a standard procedure to recommend it to all males over 65 regardless of other factors.

Vince

Super Moderator
They told me why they recommended it for me. Because I am a male and 68 years old. No reason for a heart scan. It is “recommended” by the American Cardiology Association as a preventative. Some PCPs don’t mention it if you have no risks from blood tests. For others it has become a standard procedure to recommend it to all males over 65 regardless of other factors.
So what you say is you do not want to get a heart scan, right?

t_spacemonkey

my chol levels are 'through the roof' (which is good for longevity), i'm 44, eat mostly ONLY RED MEAT, i had a Calcium score heart scan, and there is absolutely nothing. 0

So what you say is you do not want to get a heart scan, right?

If I develop risk factors I certainly would, but a need a little more than being 68 and male. If insurance would cover it I would do it now. Funny how they want me on meds permanently but won’t pay for a one time heart scan.

Vince

Super Moderator
If I develop risk factors I certainly would, but a need a little more than being 68 and male. If insurance would cover it I would do it now. Funny how they want me on meds permanently but won’t pay for a one time heart scan.
The number one risk factor is parents. If your parents never have any heart problems, your risk should be low. No matter what your labs tells you.

But I do know one person who parents were in their 90s. He believed he would never have any heart disease. When he was sitting at home watching TV at age 62, he had a massive heart attack. So I guess you never really know.

Or maybe you just shouldn't watch TV lol.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me