Any guys on TRT long term and how is it? Newbie androgel but haven’t began

Buy Lab Tests Online

KenAdams

I was wondering if some guys who have been on TRT a long time can chime in. I’m 42 and working hard to keep my testosterone up. Lost one testicle and had chemo so it isn’t easy but I’m tired lots. I finally got it back up to 450 but I’m still tired.

Anyway, I was just wondering because I read a lot of posts about how people feel great after they start it but then after six months to a year, they seem to go back to getting tired or low libido etc. So I was just curious if I got started on it I would probably be on it for the rest of my life and I was wondering how manageable it is and does it keep helping 5 to 10 years out. Or do you start feeling like you did before you even started but now you have to be on it because your testicles don’t produce any T anymore? I would love to hear from you guys have been on it five or more years and what it’s like. The more honest the better. I really appreciate your time and thank you so much.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Systemlord

So I was just curious if I got started on it I would probably be on it for the rest of my life and I was wondering how manageable it is and does it keep helping 5 to 10 years out.
I have been on TRT since 2017 and it took me a while to find a protocol that works. I don’t see TRT any different than eating breakfast, or taking a supplement, it’s a commitment that isn’t much different than any other in life.

I would love to hear from you guys have been on it five or more years and what it’s like. The more honest the better.
Response to androgens varies person to person, it produces a strong response for some, less for others and can even make things worse depending on your current health status.

TRT has turned my life around for the better, have energy like I did when 20, at 50.

Last edited:

Systemlord

@Systemlord mind you to say what is your protocol?
The short half-life formulation of TRT are the only type that work for me, the longer half-life injections will not work. My dosing needs to be very frequent 1-2x daily and can’t tolerate flat and steady hormones as my levels need to rise and fall quickly.

I’m on ultra expensive Jatenzo @ 237 mg oral capsules twice daily.

My Experience On Jatenzo (Oral TRT) Log
I am interested in this too, expecially knowing you are in your 50's.
It’s all about the genes, my family (except for three half sisters) has the same high natural energy levels. My dad was training for marathons at 80 years old for three months, three times a year. He would pass men in their 50’s going into cardiac arrest on the tarmac.

I don’t look 50 and no one has ever accused me of being 50, lol! I looked 15 at 30.

Last edited:

Systemlord

If you click on my avatar, you can look at all the problems I have had in the last 5 years, to give you an idea how difficult things can be in a worse case scenario. No one has had as many issues with TRT than me!

mooseman109

I have been at it for 91/2 years. Was a positive game changer for me, though mot with out it’s own problems.
I was 50, total was 200-250 ish. Dr did not know what he was doing. Never checked if it was primary or secondary. Was on androgel It worked great but No insurance coverage for it, so we went to compunded localy. No worky at all. So within a few months pf starting switch to the injections.
Been up and down with different protocols. A couple of different drs. Been with Defy for a few years now and am happy.
My big negative is high RBC production so my hematocrit os high and I have to donate every 2-3 months. Switxhed to daily cream as text cyp supposedly increases hematocrit more than other option. Cant say I see any difference with cream.
it is a journey. You may find a protocol that works right away, or you may struggle to find that. And then as you age your body changes so you will have to adjust your protocol. Don't trust your PCP, they probably are not versed in this. Most uro and endos are not either. Strongly recommend Defy

Gladiator

Been on for a bit over 3 years. 2.5 on injections and haven’t had any problems. Been on 150mg up to 1000mg ;)
Sat on 200mg for a year but now on 125mg a week with once a week injections.
My Trt doctor is happy I’m honest about having a blast but I haven’t done it in over a year. Always have high libido and energy. Training hard in Muay Thai 3 to 5 times a week but I was doing this when I wasn’t on trt with my testosterone level under normal.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I was wondering if some guys who have been on TRT a long time can chime in. I’m 42 and working hard to keep my testosterone up. Lost one testicle and had chemo so it isn’t easy but I’m tired lots. I finally got it back up to 450 but I’m still tired.
Coincidentally another guy with similar circumstances also just posted. You might be interested in my reply. Your total testosterone is better, which makes it more important to obtain a good estimate of free testosterone. If you have primary hypogonadism then you are relatively unique. A large majority is afflicted with secondary. As I explain in the other post, having primary hypogonadism gives one a potential advantage when it comes to minimizing unwanted side effects of TRT.

Edit: Just saw your other post. Your LH is not indicative of primary hypogonadism. You need to see where free testosterone currently is. Either measure SHBG along with total testosterone or else get a free T test based on equilibrium dialysis—your older Quest tests did use this method.

Last edited:

Golfboy307

I have been on TRT for 8 years. Test Cyp injections every 3 days. I would say the first year and half was challenging getting the dosage dialed in, but it has been fantastic being on cruise control the last few years. I hope I never have to go off of it. Age 55.

Vince

Super Moderator
I've been on TRT just over 8 years now. For me it was instant success from my first injection. The only downside was hct, had to donate blood constantly. After 2 years my HCT stabilized and I never had to donate blood again. Hopefully it stays that way.

DragonBits

Anyway, I was just wondering because I read a lot of posts about how people feel great after they start it but then after six months to a year, they seem to go back to getting tired or low libido etc. So I was just curious if I got started on it I would probably be on it for the rest of my life and I was wondering how manageable it is and does it keep helping 5 to 10 years out. Or do you start feeling like you did before you even started but now you have to be on it because your testicles don’t produce any T anymore? I would love to hear from you guys have been on it five or more years and what it’s like. The more honest the better. I really appreciate your time and thank you so much.
Been on TRT for over 13 years, worked great since the first injection. I first noticed symptoms ~age 40 but didn't start until age 57. I really have had no issues since I started, though it maybe difficult to duplicate what I am doing. Once 7 years ago I stopped and my T levels went back to about the same at ~350. Only stopped to increase sperm count.

Using clomid (7 years ago) I could get T up to 470 ng/dl. Didn't help with symptoms, but at that time I was looking to increase fertility, which did increase enough.

1st question, do you care about fertility, having children, if that is not a concern it makes it simpler.

IM / guess in 90% of situations, lifestyle changes won't help enough.

As far as being a life long commitment, IMO the forums make too big a deal about that, for the majority of men you can go back, just that your symptoms will return, and since X amount of time has passed, your levels maybe worse just because of age.

2nd. Before starting, I would get an iron panel, and make sure you know your HDL/LDL levels, test for shbg. Those can change after you start, and knowing SHBG helps with understanding your free T levels. My SHBG moves around, but it's usually 45, though if I increase T a lot, shbg also goes up, and some supplements seen to increase SHBG.

I started with Nebido (testosterone undecanoate) which I initially got while visiting Thailand. It was very easy at that time, my age (57) and symptoms were enough, the doc did a psa and EKG test. (guess the doc was more concerned about cancer or heart attacks) I had various means of getting Nebido, basically importing it using a script I got. Now I just get generic testosterone undecanoate, (cernos depot) which is ~$120 per year.

I use this because it's the lowest cost/hassle. I inject once every 10-12 weeks, this protocol also greatly helps to avoids any HCT problems, mine rose 43>47 (37-51).

Biggest problems, being able to consistently import this and it's harder to inject (4 ml) into glutes. PSA did go up, but it was higher than average when I started. PSA had been 2.1 at age 40 before TRT, for 8 years on TRT it stayed in range 2,1-2.8, the last 5 years it has been 4-5-6, but that is because my prostate is enlarged ~70 ml, no symptoms but a larger prostate puts out more PSA.

~6 years ago I joined Defy, a T clinic. For me, it's more of a backup just in case. There I used both creams and testosterone cypionate, tried HCG, thyroid meds, metformin, mostly just curious, I don't have issues that need those types of meds.

My motivation levels did go down the last 2 yrs, but then again, I am 70 now, and I think its more psychological than hormonal. It's far worse if I were to quit TRT.

If I had to quit T-undecanoate, I would go with testosterone cypionate. Creams are OK, don't like everyday and they are a bit more messy, though with T-C I would likely inject every 2-3 days.

Positives, huge increase in energy, loss of 40 lbs, huge increase in libido. No negatives, just another thing I need to do now which I didn't need when I was younger. (here is kind of a negative, you are out of sync with your spouse/ friends. More libido than spouse, more active than similar aged friends)

I don't use insurance and I am not under a doctors care for TRT, which for me is a positive. If I were using a clinic, I would have to test every 3-4 months, do a lot more paperwork, get my urologist to OK it since my PSA > 4.0. If I were to want to use insurance, I would have to jump through hoops, get my levels down low enough to qualify, and it wouldnt save me money. it's probably more expensive.

Jerajera

I've been on TRT just over 8 years now. For me it was instant success from my first injection. The only downside was hct, had to donate blood constantly. After 2 years my HCT stabilized and I never had to donate blood again. Hopefully it stays that way.

Vince, I think I remember your mentioning you take DHEA but have never really felt a difference with or without it. Is that still the case? Do you take anything else besides the 16 or 18mg/day you've been on for a long time now?

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince, I think I remember your mentioning you take DHEA but have never really felt a difference with or without it. Is that still the case? Do you take anything else besides the 16 or 18mg/day you've been on for a long time now?
I do take DHEA and do not feel any thing from it. Along with my 16 mg of testosterone. Twice a week I inject 500 IU of HCG.

Jerajera

I do take DHEA and do not feel any thing from it. Along with my 16 mg of testosterone. Twice a week I inject 500 IU of HCG.

Thanks Vince, does the hCG make a difference on the other hand? Do you have experience without it on your 16mg/day protocol?

Vince

Super Moderator
Thanks Vince, does the hCG make a difference on the other hand? Do you have experience without it on your 16mg/day protocol?
I have very little experience without using HCG. I started using it from day one just over 8 years now. The only time I don't use HCG is when I go out of town which is normally no longer than a week.

The main reason I started using it is because of Nelson. It keeps my testicles alive and I believe it helps me keep my strong libido.

Mr MJ

I've been on it for almost 19 years now and if you take the time and find out what works for you It will improve your health. Dr Crisler was my doctor and he was very knowledgeable in my diagnosis and final treatment protocol. I've tried it all that has been out there and is out there. You must also address other issues, thyroid, blood pressure, etc. Hopefully you are eating right and exercising and keeping those things under control. My current protocol today is 80 mg a week split into daily shallow injections. I've done as much as 200 a week and HCG. I can say that I felt like Superman with a higher dose but you pay the price. I found for myself that a lower daily dose fits me perfectly as my SHGB is very low. Just trial and error and you will find what works for you. I truly believe too many men give up too soon and want this to work like magic overnight which it never does.

duramax

I've been on it for almost 19 years now and if you take the time and find out what works for you It will improve your health. Dr Crisler was my doctor and he was very knowledgeable in my diagnosis and final treatment protocol. I've tried it all that has been out there and is out there. You must also address other issues, thyroid, blood pressure, etc. Hopefully you are eating right and exercising and keeping those things under control. My current protocol today is 80 mg a week split into daily shallow injections. I've done as much as 200 a week and HCG. I can say that I felt like Superman with a higher dose but you pay the price. I found for myself that a lower daily dose fits me perfectly as my SHGB is very low. Just trial and error and you will find what works for you. I truly believe too many men give up too soon and want this to work like magic overnight which it never does.
I have really low SHGB too. What does your total and free T look like on your labs? I have been doing 12mg daily and not having much success. Appreciate any advice.

BillyJ03z

Been on TRT for about 13 years now (48 yrs old).... Never once been dialed in... tried every type of injection, dosing frequency, long acting/short acting esters, etc..... (I have horrible sleep, no mental motivation, physical/mental laziness, low sex drive, noticeable cognitive slowing (noticeable to me, but thankfully not to others yet)..... I suffer from Low SHBG and I have had success in significantly raising SHBG through Thyroid dosing (Armour/T3), but it doesn't translate into any noticeable mental/physical benefits and it's a hassle with Thyroid meds because you can't eat before/after for about 30min/hr which affects workouts timing, especially in the morning. My sleep has been beyond horrible... I tell my wife that I feel I will be dead within the next 5 years due to lack of sleep... I don't know how any human can function like I do with lack of sleep and broken sleep. Had sleep study test done and I do have apnea, which I know started after starting TRT.. Ive tried CPAP and it is impossible for me to use... I've tried and tried but it is uncomfortable and just impossible. My Lipid profile is completely out of range, however, when taking Thyroid meds it actually greatly improved my Lipids. For the most part during my time on TRT, I have been in good athletic shape, however, in the last 2 plus years I have not been consistent with my workouts and physical fitness due to the mental fatigue getting even worse. I just don't feel mentally motivated to do anything.. an example is like physically feeling hungry, but I'm mentally not motivated to make anything to eat. That is how I feel with my workouts and life right now. I have very low DHEA, but when I supplement orally it does substantially raise my Dhea-s, but I don't feel/notice any benefits and a side effect I get severely bloated. So, I recently started taking TWIST25 Dhea cream (3 weeks now) and my libido seems to improve a little bit but I haven't had levels tested. I had Saliva cortisol testing done about 10 years ago and it was low morning, noon, evening and high at night . 2023 is probably my last hoorah with TRT.. gonna go all out with watching my diet and maintaining strength/cardio training and see if there is a noticeable improvement in all the issues aforementioned. If not, then I'm going to start the transition of going off TRT.

duramax

Been on TRT for about 13 years now (48 yrs old).... Never once been dialed in... tried every type of injection, dosing frequency, long acting/short acting esters, etc..... (I have horrible sleep, no mental motivation, physical/mental laziness, low sex drive, noticeable cognitive slowing (noticeable to me, but thankfully not to others yet)..... I suffer from Low SHBG and I have had success in significantly raising SHBG through Thyroid dosing (Armour/T3), but it doesn't translate into any noticeable mental/physical benefits and it's a hassle with Thyroid meds because you can't eat before/after for about 30min/hr which affects workouts timing, especially in the morning. My sleep has been beyond horrible... I tell my wife that I feel I will be dead within the next 5 years due to lack of sleep... I don't know how any human can function like I do with lack of sleep and broken sleep. Had sleep study test done and I do have apnea, which I know started after starting TRT.. Ive tried CPAP and it is impossible for me to use... I've tried and tried but it is uncomfortable and just impossible. My Lipid profile is completely out of range, however, when taking Thyroid meds it actually greatly improved my Lipids. For the most part during my time on TRT, I have been in good athletic shape, however, in the last 2 plus years I have not been consistent with my workouts and physical fitness due to the mental fatigue getting even worse. I just don't feel mentally motivated to do anything.. an example is like physically feeling hungry, but I'm mentally not motivated to make anything to eat. That is how I feel with my workouts and life right now. I have very low DHEA, but when I supplement orally it does substantially raise my Dhea-s, but I don't feel/notice any benefits and a side effect I get severely bloated. So, I recently started taking TWIST25 Dhea cream (3 weeks now) and my libido seems to improve a little bit but I haven't had levels tested. I had Saliva cortisol testing done about 10 years ago and it was low morning, noon, evening and high at night . 2023 is probably my last hoorah with TRT.. gonna go all out with watching my diet and maintaining strength/cardio training and see if there is a noticeable improvement in all the issues aforementioned. If not, then I'm going to start the transition of going off TRT.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me