Acne? Try skipping the whey

Buy Lab Tests Online

S1W

Many of us on TRT are on it precisely because we are interested in managing our overall health and fitness. Many guys who are interested in fitness also commonly use whey protein shakes as a post-workout supplement.

If you're struggling with acne, it may not be the TRT that is causing it. Try ditching your whey protein shakes (and skim milk, etc) for a few months and see if it gets better. Made a big difference for me. A quick google search will show you that this isn't a new idea and there is some research to back it up.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gianluca

Many of us on TRT are on it precisely because we are interested in managing our overall health and fitness. Many guys who are interested in fitness also commonly use whey protein shakes as a post-workout supplement.

If you're struggling with acne, it may not be the TRT that is causing it. Try ditching your whey protein shakes (and skim milk, etc) for a few months and see if it gets better. Made a big difference for me. A quick google search will show you that this isn't a new idea and there is some research to back it up.

where you using Whey protein concentrate or isolate?

S1W

I have used both whey isolate and now use whey isolate/casein blend.

Yes, I still use it - acne be damned - because I find it hard to make enough decent food to get enough protein during the day.

But I took 2 separate breaks from the protein shakes and each time, skin cleared up.

Gianluca

I have used both whey isolate and now use whey isolate/casein blend.

Yes, I still use it - acne be damned - because I find it hard to make enough decent food to get enough protein during the day.

But I took 2 separate breaks from the protein shakes and each time, skin cleared up.

if you use Casein or Whey concentrate and you have trouble with lactose, there is a good chance it will show up somewhere. Try next only Whey Isolate, but make sure you get a clean product that it is for REAL whey protein isolate.

fifty

I noticed no benefits from whey other than being able to claim I ate more protein. Just dump it forever or get one of the many other forms of protein powder. Pea, beef, rice...whatever.

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
I'm also someone who can't use whey. I studied it and found the best product I could use and it still spiked my insulin.

Gianluca

I'm also someone who can't use whey. I studied it and found the best product I could use and it still spiked my insulin.

Vince why don't you try to mix your WP with some fats? I rarely drink it alone, I usually have it after my oatmeal post work out, I don't think it spikes insulin so much that way

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince why don't you try to mix your WP with some fats? I rarely drink it alone, I usually have it after my oatmeal post work out, I don't think it spikes insulin so much that way
No, no whey for me. Especially no oatmeal LOL. I do drink my bone broth after my workout. I've had seen positive effects in my labs since I started using bone broth.

I noticed no benefits from whey other than being able to claim I ate more protein. Just dump it forever or get one of the many other forms of protein powder. Pea, beef, rice...whatever.
Similar for me I still can't eat enough to get that protein number but I had so much trouble digesting the whey that once I dropped it almost entirely and it really didn't impact my body weight or anything else gym related. I was using a lot though 6-9 scoops per day...I'm running about 220lbs and getting 220g of protein is impossible, with food.

I now only use 1 scoop with my home brew pre-workout.

Though whey never caused my acne, just gas and bloating.

CROM

I ditched whey about 2 months ago and it didn't make a difference. Even when I go nutritional keto doesn't make things better. Only thing that works for me is a lower dose, like really low. My SHBG is really low I think it is from that, not sure.

Gianluca

I ditched whey about 2 months ago and it didn't make a difference. Even when I go nutritional keto doesn't make things better. Only thing that works for me is a lower dose, like really low. My SHBG is really low I think it is from that, not sure.

lower SHBG means also your Free DHT is higher, possibly exacerbating acne, I had same issue. Once I started Thyroid which increases SHBG, I had an improvement on my acne

CROM

lower SHBG means also your Free DHT is higher, possibly exacerbating acne, I had same issue. Once I started Thyroid which increases SHBG, I had an improvement on my acne

What do you mean "once you started Thyroid"? Are you Hypothyroid? What meds do you take? My TSH is 4.1 but sometimes it exceeds 4.5. My FT3 FT4 RT3 is all in range but just not optimal.

Vince

Super Moderator
What do you mean "once you started Thyroid"? Are you Hypothyroid? What meds do you take? My TSH is 4.1 but sometimes it exceeds 4.5. My FT3 FT4 RT3 is all in range but just not optimal.
Can you post your Labs along with the range.

Gianluca

yes, you generally start Thyroid when you are Hypothyroid symptomatic, I started at 3.2 of FT3, thyroid is an important hormone to have optimized along with Test

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me