Optimize blood glucose levels

Buy Lab Tests Online

HealthMan

A lot of research data shows that high normal glucose levels can increase cardiometabolic risks. Life extension for example suggest optimal fasting glucose levels should be between 80-86 mg/dl.
Does anyone here try to proactively lower they normal glucose levels to optimal levels through the use of drugs like metformin, Sulfonylureas, etc when diet and exercise alone are unable to bring levels down?
My fasting glucose usually is around 97-99 mg/dl and Ha1c around 5.2-5.3%. If i take very low dose metformin and glimepiride my fasting glucose drops to around 83-86 mg/dl.
As a reference i have a super healthy life style, 209 pounds, ~ 10% body fat, exercise regularly, eat super healthy, etc.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Fernando Almaguer

Good morning Health man, it sounds like you are on the right track as you name implies.

I use metformin at 500mg and 1000mg on non - workout days. It has brought my a1 c down. I also do 10 minute walks after meals as this has a great affect on dropping post prandial glucose levels down from the blood and into the muscle. Stan Efferding on youtube has a great video on this efficacy of the 10 minute walks after meals.

Ice bath is also a great way to drop inflammation and glucose levels in the blood. Fermented foods will keep inflammation down which can effect all of the body.

Keep up the good work! Thanks for the reminder to live healthy

HealthMan

Good morning Health man, it sounds like you are on the right track as you name implies.

I use metformin at 500mg and 1000mg on non - workout days. It has brought my a1 c down. I also do 10 minute walks after meals as this has a great affect on dropping post prandial glucose levels down from the blood and into the muscle. Stan Efferding on youtube has a great video on this efficacy of the 10 minute walks after meals.

Ice bath is also a great way to drop inflammation and glucose levels in the blood. Fermented foods will keep inflammation down which can effect all of the body.

Keep up the good work! Thanks for the reminder to live healthy
Thanks for the input! I have tried everything to lower my blood glucose levels but adding 0.5mg of glimepiride did the trick of really bring down glucose levels to “optimal” levels. In addition to that i take 500mg metformin at night (however metformin even at 1000mg a day never really had a significant impact on my blood glucose readings).

Fernando Almaguer

Thanks for the input! I have tried everything to lower my blood glucose levels but adding 0.5mg of glimepiride did the trick of really bring down glucose levels to “optimal” levels. In addition to that i take 500mg metformin at night (however metformin even at 1000mg a day never really had a significant impact on my blood glucose readings).
No problem, glad to share!

I have never heard of glimepiride. Where does one get it and is it safe for the average person?

Do you walk or do activities after eating?

HealthMan

No problem, glad to share!

I have never heard of glimepiride. Where does one get it and is it safe for the average person?

Do you walk or do activities after eating?
I do whenever possible.

Glimepiride is a Sulfonylurea that has a pretty safe profile from my research. Also the dose i am using is pretty minimal. It works by helping beta cells to release insulin and also seems to improve insulin sensitivity. Also has a minimal impact on fasting insulin levels. Worth noting that there is a risk of hypoglycemia.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Has anyone tried any of the continuous glucose meters now available without a prescription?

Exploring this ones:

Mojo88

The last time I tested glucose levels I had a nice 88. I was not fasted and had eaten about an hour before. When I am fasted it is usually in the 70's. I have taken Metformin for about 10 years. 500mg a day keeps my blood glucose level pretty low, even after eating.

Damn, those are some great numbers. Now, if you were doing that WITHOUT the Metformin, I would be truly impressed. However, the more I learn about Metformin, the less reluctant I would be about taking it. I have heard of studies where overweight diabetics on Metformin have longer life expectancy than regular folks NOT on Metformin.

Some people with 'normal' glucose numbers are actually taking Metformin as a supplement.

My fasting number fluctuates between 85-100, depending on how meticulous I've been about taking all the appropriate supplements (there are quite a few that will help glucose levels). Maybe I should talk to my doc about Metformin...........

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Has anyone tried any of the continuous glucose meters now available without a prescription?

Exploring this ones:

There's a review here. It sounds pretty useful, but I think the cost needs to come down more before I would spring for it.

NutriSense offers two program plans and several options for each.
Their no-strings-attached, cancel any time option is appropriately called “Try”. Try plan prices:
$175 for 14-days
$350 for 28-days
If you’re willing to commit, you can get a far better price on the 28-day option called “Commit”. Commit plan prices:
$250 per month for a 3-month commitment
$225 per month for a 6-month commitment
$199 per month for a 12-month commitment

The underlying device is the Freestyle Libre CGM. My father has been using this for a couple years now. It's a bit finicky, but generally gets the job done. It sounds like a prescription is still required, but Nutrisense has some doctor to rubber-stamp it. "We handle the prescription for you!" [1]

nodoctor

I remember some guys talking about how metformin dramatically blunts IGF-1. Not sure if it's true. It gave me very bad flatulence so I dropped it but I still think it permanently helped my blood sugar regulation from being on it for not that long. Course I also went vegan shortly thereafter so hard to tell how much was which effect.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

BigTex

I know Dave Palumbo is one of the biggest saying you won't grow using metformin however because it blunts IGF-1. However, , this is one of the most popular drug used in bodybuilding to bulk. With a high carb intake it can completely repartition the excess carbs not allowing them to be stored as body fat and instead only used for energy and filling muscle glycogen stores.

Burkhard L. Herrmann, Christian Berg, Elisabeth Vogel, Tanja Nowak, Katrin Renzing-Koehler, Klaus Mann, Bernhard Saller. Effects of a Combination of Recombinant Human Growth Hormone with Metformin on Glucose Metabolism and Body Composition in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome. February 2004 Hormone and Metabolic Research 36(1):54-61.

Abstract
Abdominal obesity and insulin resistance are central findings in metabolic syndrome. Since treatment with recombinant human growth hormone (rhGH) can reduce body fat mass in patients with organic GH deficiency, rhGH therapy may also have favourable effects on patients with metabolic syndrome. However, due to the highly increased risk for type 2 diabetes in these patients, strategies are needed to reduce the antagonistic effect of rhGH against insulin. We conducted a 18-month randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to assess the effect of rhGH in combination with metformin (Met) in patients with metabolic syndrome. 25 obese men (55 +/- 6 years, BMI 33.4 +/- 2.9 kg/m (2)) with mildly elevated fasting plasma glucose (FPG) levels at screening (6.1-8.0 mmol/l) were included. All patients received metformin (850 mg twice daily) either alone or in combination with rhGH (daily dose 9.5 microg/kg body weight). An oGTT was performed at baseline, after 6 weeks, and after 3, 6, 12, and 18 months of therapy. Glucose disposal rate (GDR) was measured by euglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp at 0 and 18 months and body composition was measured by DEXA every 6 months. In the Met + GH group, IGF-I increased from 146 +/- 56 microg/l to 373 +/- 111 microg/l (mean +/- SD) after 3 months and remained stable after that. BMI did not change significantly in either group during the study. Total body fat decreased by -4.3 +/- 5.4 kg in the Met + GH group and by -2.7 +/- 2.9 kg in the Met + Placebo group (differences between the two groups: p = n. s.). Waist circumference decreased in both groups (Met + GH: 118 +/- 8 cm at baseline, 112 +/- 10 cm after 18 months; Met + Placebo: 114 +/- 7 cm vs. 109 +/- 8 cm; differences between the two groups: p = 0.096). In the Met + GH group, FPG increased significantly after 6 months (5.9 +/- 0.7 vs. 6.7 +/- 0.4 mmol/l; p = 0.005), but subsequently decreased to baseline levels (18 months: 5.8 +/- 0.2 mmol/l). FPG remained stable in the Met + Placebo group until 12 months had elapsed, and then slightly decreased (baseline: 6.2 +/- 0.3, 18 months: 5.5 +/- 0.6 mmol/l, p = 0.02). No significant changes were seen in either group regarding glucose and insulin AUC during oGTT or HbA (1c) levels. GDR at 18 months increased by 20 +/- 39% in Met + GH-group and decreased by -11 +/- 25% in the Met + Placebo group (differences between the two groups: p = 0.07). In conclusion, treatment of patients with metabolic syndrome and elevated FPG levels did not cause sustained negative effects on glucose metabolism or insulin sensitivity if given in combination with metformin. However, since our data did not show significant differences between the two treatment groups with respect to body composition or lipid metabolism, future studies including larger numbers of patients will have to clarify whether the positive effects of rhGH on cardiovascular risk factors that have been shown in patients with GH deficiency are also present in patients with metabolic syndrome, and are additive to the effects of metformin.

Summary
* Both groups received 850 mg Metformin/twice daily
* In the Met + hGH group, IGF-I increased, stabilized after 3 months, the Metformin + placebo group did not change
* Total body fat decreased in both groups, almost double in the hGH group
* Waist circumference decreased in both groups (more in the HGH group)
* After 18 months total muscle mass increased by 0.5 +/- 3.7 kg in the Met+GH group (range -4.6 to 3.7) and decreased by -2.4 _/- 2.9 in the
Met+Placebo group (range –5.7 to 2.2)
* Serum total testosterone levels significantly increased in both groups after 18 months
* Insulin levels did not significantly differ between those patients receiving only metformin and those receiving metformin and hGH

HealthMan

Exploring this ones:

Yeah those are pretty useful. After paying more attention to my glucose levels my body fat levels (already low) are dropping even further without any changes in diet or workout routine. I am sleeping better as well. However if i am really stressed out even with medication blood glucose levels are higher. So stress control - at least for me - seems to be very important to control glucose levels. I have been taking 500mg metformin and 0.5mg glimepiride daily and today my blood fasting glucose was 82. Postprandial numbers also looking better than ever before

HealthMan

See separate threads on Semaglutide and other GLP one products. Great solution for me with very quick and measurable lab result improvements on A-1 C
Problem with semaglutide is weight loss. I am already super fit and not looking to lose weight (i am looking to add lean mass). Semaglutide reduces hunger and appetite so i think it should be counterproductive for me

nodoctor

Do you know your body fat percentage? Super fit is very subjective. How exactly did the constant glucose meter help if I may ask? Helped you quantify exactly when you should eat? And would love to understand the data of what progress it helped you to make.

Glimepiride is something I will have to research, but I assume you have a cooperative doctor or are able to figure out an off label strategy?

HealthMan

Do you know your body fat percentage? Super fit is very subjective. How exactly did the constant glucose meter help if I may ask? Helped you quantify exactly when you should eat? And would love to understand the data of what progress it helped you to make.

Glimepiride is something I will have to research, but I assume you have a cooperative doctor or are able to figure out an off label strategy?
8-10% BF 210 pounds 6’2’’. Blood glucose levels are correlated to body fat and other health issues. My FBG has been 98-105 and postprandial would take a long time to go back below 100 if it did. I wanted to test a theory that my bad sleep, last bit of abdominal fat and other issues might be somewhat correlated to blood sugar levels not being optimal. So using life extension guidelines for optimal glucose levels i tried to achieve those numbers through exercise diet and medication. So how much and what i ate, any physical activity after a meal, stress levels had a great impact on blood sugar levels so constant monitoring helped me to understand all variables involved in my blood glucose levels.

After optimizing my blood sugar levels my sleep has improved a lot and body fat has been dropping. I did that by myself but now that it seems that i found a link between some of the issues i had and blood glucose levels i will speak to my doctor.

Last edited:

tropicaldaze1950

The last time I tested glucose levels I had a nice 88. I was not fasted and had eaten about an hour before. When I am fasted it is usually in the 70's. I have taken Metformin for about 10 years. 500mg a day keeps my blood glucose level pretty low, even after eating.

@Fernando Almaguer
Gave me diarrhea. Never tried the XR version.

BigTex

Here is another relevant study TRT users might be interested in.

Krysiak R, Gilowski W, Okopien B. The Effect of Metformin and Metformin-Testosterone Combination on Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Men with Late-onset Hypogonadism and Impaired Glucose Tolerance. Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes : Official Journal, German Society of Endocrinology [and] German Diabetes Association. 2015 Nov;123(10):608-613. DOI: 10.1055/s-0035-1564070.

Abstract
No previous study has investigated the effect of metformin, administered alone or together with testosterone, on cardiometabolic risk factors in men with hypogonadism. The study included 30 men with late-onset hypogonadism (LOH) and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) who had been complying with lifestyle intervention. After 12 weeks of metformin treatment (1.7 g daily), the participants were allocated to one of 2 groups treated for the following 12 weeks with oral testosterone undecanoate (120 mg daily, n=15) or not receiving androgen therapy (n=15). Plasma lipids, glucose homeostasis markers, as well as plasma levels of androgens, uric acid, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), homocysteine and fibrinogen were determined before and after 12 and 24 weeks of therapy with the final dose of metformin. Patients with LOH and IGT had higher levels of hsCRP, homocysteine and fibrinogen than subjects with only LOH (n=12) or only IGT (n=15). Metformin administered alone improved insulin sensitivity, as well as reduced 2-h postchallenge plasma glucose and triglycerides. Testosterone-metformin combination therapy decreased also total and LDL cholesterol, uric acid, hsCRP, homocysteine and fibrinogen, as well as increased plasma testosterone. The effect of this combination therapy on testosterone, insulin sensitivity, hsCRP, homocysteine and fibrinogen was stronger than that of metformin alone. The obtained results indicate that IGT men with LOH receiving metformin may gain extra benefits if they are concomitantly treated with oral testosterone.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me