Anabolic steroids and TRT decrease SHBG, DHEA, pregnenolone and progesterone in men.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
steroid pathway.jpg

Response of serum testosterone and its precursor steroids, SHBG and CBG to anabolic steroid and testosterone self-administration in man.

Ruokonen A, et al. J Steroid Biochem. 1985.

Abstract

The influence of high doses of testosterone and anabolic steroids on testicular endocrine function and on circulating steroid binding proteins, sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and cortisol binding globulin (CBG), were investigated in power athletes for 26 weeks of steroid self-administration and for the following 16 weeks after drug withdrawal. Serum testosterone and androstenedione concentrations increased (P less than 0.05) but pregnenolone, 17-hydroxypregnenolone, dehydroepiandrosterone, 5-androstene-3 beta, 17 beta-diol, progesterone and 17-hydroxyprogesterone concentrations strongly decreased (P less than 0.001) during steroid administration. Serum pregnenolone, 17-hydroxypregnenolone and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate concentrations followed the changes of the corresponding unconjugated steroids but 5-androstene-3 beta, 17 beta-diol and testosterone sulphate concentrations remained unchanged during the follow-up time. During drug administration SHBG concentrations decreased by about 80 to 90% and remained low even for the 16 weeks following steroid withdrawal. Steroid administration had no influence on serum CBG concentrations. In conclusion, self-administration of testosterone and anabolic steroids soon led to impairment of testicular endocrine function which was characterized by low concentrations of testosterone precursors, high ratios of testosterone to its precursor steroids and low SHBG concentrations. Decreased concentrations of SHBG and testicular steroids were still partly evident during the 16 weeks after drug withdrawal. The depressed circulating levels of dehydroepiandrosterone and its sulphate may indicate that the androgenic-anabolic steroids also suppress adrenal androgen production.

testosterone decreases pregenolone and progesterone.jpg

Attachments

• testosterone and anabolics decrease upstream hormones.pdf
    715.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Kirk

In a nutshell:
hCG--> serum progesterone-->ITT--> 17-hydroxyprogesterone-->5-alpha-pregnan-3-alpha-ol-20-one (allopregnanolone), which is a neuroactive steroid that binds with GABA(A) receptor. Net result--> better sense of well-being.

Last edited:

J2048b

yup when im off hcg i feel like total crap... cant wait to grab up a few viles with my new script and start the hcg again

now with all this conversion why do we still see guys who have to use dhea and preg creams etc? and do we just run bw to check each to see if we are converting, or will there be tell tell signs if one is not?

mike7

In a nutshell:
hCG--> serum progesterone-->ITT--> 17-hydroxyprogesterone-->5-alpha-pregnan-3-alpha-ol-20-one (allopregnanolone), which is a neuroactive steroid that binds with GABA(A) receptor. Net result--> better sense of well-being.
Solid info. HCG for dummies :)

ERO

yup when im off hcg i feel like total crap... cant wait to grab up a few viles with my new script and start the hcg again

now with all this conversion why do we still see guys who have to use dhea and preg creams etc? and do we just run bw to check each to see if we are converting, or will there be tell tell signs if one is not?

That is a good point. For me, as long as take my 25mg of DHEA a day my DHEA-S level stays in the upper normal range, but if I stop it tanks in a few weeks - even though I have always used HCG.

CoastWatcher

That is a good point. For me, as long as take my 25mg of DHEA a day my DHEA-S level stays in the upper normal range, but if I stop it tanks in a few weeks - even though I have always used HCG.

ERO, what were your DHEA-S levels when you began the 25mg dose? How "upper" is "upper normal"? Thanks.

ERO

I was in the low end of the lower quartile before supplementing with DHEA and Pregnenolone and now I am in the upper quartile of the normal range. My last tests (done last week) put my DHEA-S at 345 in a scale where 'normal' was within a range of 71.6 to 375.4.

Speed

I was in the low end of the lower quartile before supplementing with DHEA and Pregnenolone and now I am in the upper quartile of the normal range. My last tests (done last week) put my DHEA-S at 345 in a scale where 'normal' was within a range of 71.6 to 375.4.

ERO, What's your dose and brand of DHEA and Pregnenolone ? Do you take them in the morning or evening ?

ERO

I just started using DHEA troches from Defy Medical. 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. I don't feel anything from the morning dose, but the evening dose helps me relax and sleep as DHEA opposes cortisol and I have a tendency for my cortisol to spike at night instead of after i get up in the morning like it is supposed to do. For pregenonolone I use a cream that I get from amazon. The troches are expensive though and I will likely go back to 25 mg micronized capsules when I run out as they worked fine for me before. I have used several brands and they all worked fine for me.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Where you see a star in this diagram, that is where HCG works. When we shut down LH with TRT, these paths are also shut down. HCG starts them again.

hcg effect in hormonal pathway.jpg

Last edited:

MDavidW76

Exploring pregnenolone supplementation:

@Nelson Vergel
What about HMG instead of HCG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic