What to expect from Armour thyroid meds?

Thread starter #1
My prescription is 60 mgs, 1 grain.

Cutting it in half, I took 30 mg, ½ grain, Armour thyroid at 7:00 AM.

It gave me a buzz a little like a lot of caffeine, then about 7:00 PM I got sleepy, had a big headache. I assume this mean all the T3 had been eliminated. I thought ½ grain was too much.
The next day I still had a mild headache, I took a tiny amount and it seem to make the headache go away. I didn’t take any for a couple of days after that.

A few days later, I cut the pill into quarters, so that is about ¼ grain, then took ¼ at 7:00 and ¼ at 12:000 noon, which felt better.

Before treatment:
T4 6.4 ug/dL
FT4 1.06 ng/dl
TSH 2.0
Rt3 16.4 ng/dL
FT3 2.7 pg/mL

For a couple of days now, the only thing that feels different is a little tightness in my head, I can’t really tell if I have more energy, it’s not obvious. Maybe my BP and heart rate are up a bit, not a lot.

I think that since I don’t seem to have a problem converting T4 to FT3, I might do better on Levothyroxine which is T4 only. Not convinced, just researching at this time.

I am not sure what taking this should do for me and how soon? What effects have others felt?

I don't think that small amount of armor would do anything especially with so high of reverse T3. Why are you using only 30 mg twice a day.

Thread starter #3
I don't think that small amount of armor would do anything especially with so high of reverse T3. Why are you using only 30 mg twice a day.
It's actually 15 mg twice a day, the doctor ordered that protocol, though he said 30 mg in the morning and I changed it to 15 mg twice a day.

I didn't like the effect the initial 30 mgs had on me, so I split it up. Also after ~11-12 hours I felt like I crashed and got a headache, I believe it was the extra T3 going away.

The Doc did say I could double the dose every 2 weeks up to 120 mgs a day.

I believe it's likely I have had these same levels for the last 20 years, so how I feel now is normal to me. If Armour helps, what am I looking for as a change?

Thread starter #5
Vince, according the the ratio theory of FT3/rT3, your ratio would be 14.285 and my untreated ratio would be 16.46.

The theory states that the ratio should be over 20 to be associated with good health.

My symptoms were pretty mild and could easily be ignored. Sometimes I have a sort of brain fog, it seemed to me to more related to glucose, which was just a guess not a measurement. Guess because if I don't eat till 2PM, only some protein powder and then do an hour of cardio at noon time, I sometimes feel like my brain isn't functioning on all cylinders. Also, I tend to react like I want to sleep if I eat a high carb typical pancake breakfast. I was thinking it might be better to eat a balanced breakfast, but once I consume 19-20 grams of protein powder with coffee, i don't feel hungry for several hours. This doesn't seem to help at all losing weight, I just eat more later in the day :D

I am a little surprised your FT3 lab didn't change all that much, TSH changed a lot, but your FT3 didn't change by much, and you don't know your untreated RT3 so we can't tell if that changed.

Thread starter #7
Remind me....had you run Ferritin/Iron/etc etc prior to starting and what'd any one have to say about your RT3?
The doctor didn't talk about my RT3, the forum did.

Here is a copy of the full iron panel I did in May 2018.

Iron and TIBC
Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 357 250-450 ug/dL 01
UIBC 249 111-343 ug/dL 01
Iron 108 38-169 ug/dL 01
Iron Saturation 30 15-55 % 01

Ferritin, Serum
Ferritin, Serum 224 30-400 ng/mL 01

The doctor didn't talk about my RT3, the forum did.

Here is a copy of the full iron panel I did in May 2018.

Iron and TIBC
Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 357 250-450 ug/dL 01
UIBC 249 111-343 ug/dL 01
Iron 108 38-169 ug/dL 01
Iron Saturation 30 15-55 % 01

Ferritin, Serum
Ferritin, Serum 224 30-400 ng/mL 01
Best iron and ferritin numbers I have seen in a long time. They look good.