Thyroid question

Buy Lab Tests Online

DragonBits

Both... many don't donate and still have low ferritin but before TRT they didn't have low ferritin.

I wonder why?

Maybe this?

We know TRT increases red blood cells / hemoglobin, and that creating new red blood cells require iron. Maybe that is the reason for a reduction in iron stores?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

ratbag

I used to have very high ferritin and always did but after I started TRT my ferritin tanked. I was just above the bottom of range which really isn't enough. I've been taking 25mg daily ever since. No idea of the exact cause but as you mention lots of possibilities exist. It's all part of managing your TRT effectively.

DragonBits

I used to have very high ferritin and always did but after I started TRT my ferritin tanked. I was just above the bottom of range which really isn't enough. I've been taking 25mg daily ever since. No idea of the exact cause but as you mention lots of possibilities exist. It's all part of managing your TRT effectively.

Thanks, maybe next blood test I should recheck my ferritin.

FLmale

QUESTION

I had my blood drawn on Monday and waiting for results. I have not started taking the Armor, was prescribed 1 GR (60mg) daily. My ass is absolutely been dragging and no amount of caffeine does any good, it actually makes me even more tired...

Should I start taking the Armor tomorrow and see how I feel?

Anything I should be monitoring, such as temp, heart rate or otherwise?

Thanks!!

FLMale

ratbag

The prime indicator for hypothyroidism is low basel body temperature. This is your temperature taken 1st thing in the morning before you get out of bed or eat or drink anything. If your temp is normal then you are not hypothyroid. For me I'm 2 degrees lower than normal which is 98.6

Starting at 1 grain is fine but after 2 weeks you should check your temp again and see. If it improves but still low then you need more armour. This is how MD's managed thyroid before the great TSH test came out in 1974.

FLmale

The prime indicator for hypothyroidism is low basel body temperature. This is your temperature taken 1st thing in the morning before you get out of bed or eat or drink anything. If your temp is normal then you are not hypothyroid. For me I'm 2 degrees lower than normal which is 98.6

Starting at 1 grain is fine but after 2 weeks you should check your temp again and see. If it improves but still low then you need more armour. This is how MD's managed thyroid before the great TSH test came out in 1974.

Thanks for the input.

Temps:
11-14 before getting out of bed was 98.0
11-14 1 hour later after drinking coffee was 97.6
---
11-15 before getting out of bed was 97.9
11-15 1 hour later after drinking coffee was 97.8

Several days afterwards temps in bed vs 1 hour later were 1 degree or less.

Still not taking the Armour, going to wait check temps for a few more days to get a baseline and the blood work results back.

Edited to add temps using Temporal Scanner Infrared Thermometer

Last edited:
When I tracked my body temps, I always knew I ran on the cold side when checking in to the Dr's office, my Dr who I'm not calling out on it said body temp was a poor Thyroid indicator. :shrug:
My FT3 runs close to the lab range @ 3.8 and 3.9, my reverse T3 has been OK twice when tested.

ratbag

VC your FT4 at 1.1 looks to be lower than 50%. I would start there to see if raising it increases your temp. This would be the logicial route. If you have FT4 labs from before you started TRT it would be interesting to see. If your temp remains low after getting your FT4 to 60% or greater then technically you just need more T3 until your temp gets to normal.

I'm not interested in Thyroid, at best its sub-clinical and I don't otherwise subscribe to all this Hypo stuff that you all are ginned up for lately.

Vince

Super Moderator
Since I started taking my thyroid meds twice a day, it's really made a difference in how I feel. I guess this is the best I felt since I was young.

FLmale

MY ORIGINAL POST FROM 10-28-18

Have been on TRT and HCG for a couple years and still don't feel all that great. Symptoms include foggy, cold, dragging around 3pm with ability to nap at the drop of a hat oh and sweat profusely in heat or working out.

In mid March my TSH result was 3.010 uIU/mL on range of 0.450-4.500. DHEA was 76.1 ug/dL on range of 71.6-375.4 and SHGB was 63.1 nmol/L on range of 19.3-76.4. No T3/T4 done at that time.

My most recent test this month came back TSH result was 4.320 uIU/mL on range of 0.450-4.500 with T4 Free 1.14 ng/dL on .82-1.77 range - T3 Free 2.8 pg/mL on 2.0-4.4. (Started taking 15mg DHEA 1x day and DHEA was 268.6 ug/dL on range of 71.6-375.4 and SHGB was not taken but is normally in 63-65 nmol/L on range of 19.3-76.4.
EDIT TO ADD: Looking back on October 2018 labs, my Ferritin was 51ng/mL on the range of 30-400 (10-31-18)

I should mention that I'm in my early 50's; about 16% body fat, exercise 6x week and only have 1 Kidney. I eat very clean and limit protein to ~100grams per day to keep the Kidney happy. I do eat a lot of crucifirous vegies, primarily Cabbage and Brussels.

My doctor wants me to start taking 1 Grain of Armor 1x day and see how I feel. Is there anything else I should consider doing prior to starting the Armor to get a better un-medicated Thyroid baseline?

-----------
11-19-18 TEST RESULTS:

Collect Date & Time Date of Service
11/12/2018 8:22 am 11/12/2018 12:00 am FINAL
Notes Fasting - Yes

Diagnostic Test / Results Results Out of Range Flag Units Range Site Stat
Iron and TIBC [Final]

Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 324 ug/dL 250-450 01

UIBC 267 ug/dL 111-343 01

Iron 57 ug/dL 38-169 01

Iron Saturation 18 % 15-55 01

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S [Final]

T4,Free(Direct) 1.02 ng/dL 0.82-1.77 01

TSH [Final]

TSH 3.220 uIU/mL 0.450-4.500 01

Reverse T3, Serum [Final]

Reverse T3, Serum 15.6 ng/dL 9.2-24.1 02

Thyroglobulin Antibody [Final]

Thyroglobulin Antibody <1.0 IU/mL 0.0-0.9 01

Notes Thyroglobulin Antibody measured by Beckman Coulter Methodology

Ferritin, Serum [Final]

Ferritin, Serum 45 ng/mL 30-400 01

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab [Final]

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 18 IU/mL 0-34 01

Triiodothyronine (T3), Free [Final]

Triiodothyronine (T3), Free 2.8 pg/mL 2.0-4.4 01

Last edited:

FLmale

Testing was notably incomplete, really need to be eval'd for pooling of T3 with the Reverse T3 test, as well as antibodies.
Though your Free T3 is on the lower end, this is the active Thyroid hormone. It's pretty common to see Free T4 on the lower end. I'm unsure how Armour could or will act for increasing T3. But as I said if T3 is pooling meaning it's not making it in to your cells, you can increase T3 and experience no benefit.

If it's affordable and/or you have the opportunity please re-run:

TSH
Free T3
Free T4
Reverse T3
Antibodies
Don't forget your ferritin :)
I supplement with my iodine daily but supplement with a good low dose. I use 325 mcg of iodine once a day and was told do not go over 500 mcg daily. It's something I believe your thyroid needs to stay healthy.

----

Anyone have any input on my revised labs?

Collect Date & Time Date of Service
11/12/2018 8:22 am 11/12/2018 12:00 am FINAL
Notes Fasting - Yes

Diagnostic Test / Results Results Out of Range Flag Units Range Site Stat
Iron and TIBC [Final]

Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 324 ug/dL 250-450 01

UIBC 267 ug/dL 111-343 01

Iron 57 ug/dL 38-169 01

Iron Saturation 18 % 15-55 01

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S [Final]

T4,Free(Direct) 1.02 ng/dL 0.82-1.77 01

TSH [Final]

TSH 3.220 uIU/mL 0.450-4.500 01

Reverse T3, Serum [Final]

Reverse T3, Serum 15.6 ng/dL 9.2-24.1 02

Thyroglobulin Antibody [Final]

Thyroglobulin Antibody <1.0 IU/mL 0.0-0.9 01

Notes Thyroglobulin Antibody measured by Beckman Coulter Methodology

Ferritin, Serum [Final]

Ferritin, Serum 45 ng/mL 30-400 01

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab [Final]

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 18 IU/mL 0-34 01

Triiodothyronine (T3), Free [Final]

Triiodothyronine (T3), Free 2.8 pg/mL 2.0-4.4 01

Thanks!

Though your FT3 is on the low side I would supplement with some iron for a few weeks as poor iron such as you have can interfer with T4>T3 conversion. I wouldn't directly treat Thyroid at this time.

DragonBits

Someone mentioned I have really good iron levels.

I just thought of the fact that I like to use cast iron cookware which can add significant levels of iron to your food.

FLmale

Though your FT3 is on the low side I would supplement with some iron for a few weeks as poor iron such as you have can interfer with T4>T3 conversion. I wouldn't directly treat Thyroid at this time.

Thank you for your reply. Not taking Thytroid meds yet but I picked up Ferrous Sulfate 65mg Elemental Iron, taking 1 tablet with 500mg Vit C together with dinner. Any opinion as to formulation or dosage?

Walgreens High-Potency Iron 65mg, Ferrous Sulfate 325mg, Tablets

Thanks!

FM

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com