Metformin and SHBG

Buy Lab Tests Online

rafapark

I have been doing some reading on Metformin and also in Jay Campell's book where he supports the use of metformin for anti aging purposes. I also watched the Nelson's video with Jay. There is a thread in this forum that also that talks about metformin and its relationship with SHBG and Testosterone. From what I have read, including Nelson's link from pub med, metformin increases SHBG levels and decreases free testosterone. I then have to assume that a person with a high SHBG (my SHBG is 53 for example) should not be taking metformin. I'd love to try metformin for anti aging purposes but I was able to reduce my SHBG from 81 to 53 and would not like to see it creeping up again. Am I looking at this correctly? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I believe metformin increases shbg in men with low levels, because it did improves their insulin resistance.

Vince

Super Moderator
humm. Ok. Thanks Vince. I assume that it does not increase SHBG in my case but the only way to be sure is to try it I guess.
That's my opinion anyway. I use metformin XR 750 mg twice a day, I believe that metformin is an awesome longevity drug, with very few side effects.

rafapark

That's my opinion anyway. I use metformin XR 750 mg twice a day, I believe that metformin is an awesome longevity drug, with very few side effects.
Thanks Vince. I plan to start with 250mg a day and see what happens. So in your case you did not see an increase on your SHBG, drop on your free T? Any impact on your sex drive ( I read somewhere in the internet about that too)? Thanks again.

Vince

Super Moderator
I've been on metformin longer than I've been on trt. Metformin has done wonders for my a1c and fasting glucose. With metformin and my low carb diet I'm been able to keep my A1C at 5.2 and fasting glucose 87.

rafapark

Metformin has shown an ability to decrease methylation by interfering with B12 absorption with long-term use Hyperhomocysteinemia, deep vein thrombosis and vitamin B12 deficiency in a metformin-treated diabetic patient. - PubMed - NCBI. We are just now realizing how important methylation is the more we understand genetics. It would be important to take B12 if you're going to use metformin.
Yes, thank you. I plan to check my B12 levels often and supplement accordingly. However my main concern is the impact on sex drive. I have seen conflicting information on this. It seems that it does lower testosterone. By how much, I really don't know. I don't want to screw up markers now that I am close to be dialed in.

BigLebowski

Interesting. My shgb went from 37 (pre trt) to 25 in about 7/8 weeks. If anyone is planning on starting Metformin I'd definitely be interested in hearing an update on their progress

Vince

Super Moderator
I was supplementing with Jarrow Methyl B-12 5000mcg lozenges. When I wake up in the morning, I just chew one up and don't really think about it. My levels my were very high 1773 pg/mL range 221-700 pg/mL. I lowered my dose to 2500 mcg.

rafapark

I am pretty sure balancing B12 would be the easiest thus the least of my concerns. A supplement or subcu injections would balance B12 easely. The challenge is the unkown impact on hormones I believe.

grayiron

I have been doing some reading on Metformin and also in Jay Campell's book where he supports the use of metformin for anti aging purposes. I also watched the Nelson's video with Jay. There is a thread in this forum that also that talks about metformin and its relationship with SHBG and Testosterone. From what I have read, including Nelson's link from pub med, metformin increases SHBG levels and decreases free testosterone. I then have to assume that a person with a high SHBG (my SHBG is 53 for example) should not be taking metformin. I'd love to try metformin for anti aging purposes but I was able to reduce my SHBG from 81 to 53 and would not like to see it creeping up again. Am I looking at this correctly? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I would really do your research before taking metformin if you are not diabetic. I too was excited about taking metformin for anti cancer/inflammatory effect. But there is some concern with folks claiming they have developed frontal dementia from long term anti aging non diabetic use. There is an entire forum devoted to this. Just think everyone should know of any type risk associated with metformin. Listen to Dr Peter Attia podcast on metformin. Recently recorded

rafapark

I would really do your research before taking metformin if you are not diabetic. I too was excited about taking metformin for anti cancer/inflammatory effect. But there is some concern with folks claiming they have developed frontal dementia from long term anti aging non diabetic use. There is an entire forum devoted to this. Just think everyone should know of any type risk associated with metformin. Listen to Dr Peter Attia podcast on metformin. Recently recorded
Thank you for the feedback. I will look into it.

ta406

Would you happen to have a link to that podcast? I can't seem to figure out which podcast it is. Thanks

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I stopped taking Metformin even with its benefits for my IBS. After 2-3 weeks (tried 4 times), my energy level would drop. The drug is great for people with hyperglycemia and metabolic issues but it really slows down ATP production, which may be an issue in some of us with chronic illnesses that affect the mitochondria. Metformin also affected by workouts and decreased my pump.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Metformin inhibits mitochondrial adaptations to aerobic exercise training in older adults

Abstract
Metformin and exercise independently improve insulin sensitivity and decrease the risk of diabetes. Metformin was also recently proposed as a potential therapy to slow aging. However, recent evidence indicates that adding metformin to exercise antagonizes the exercise‐induced improvement in insulin sensitivity and cardiorespiratory fitness. The purpose of this study was to test the hypothesis that metformin diminishes the improvement in insulin sensitivity and cardiorespiratory fitness after aerobic exercise training (AET) by inhibiting skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiration and protein synthesis in older adults (62 ± 1 years). In a double‐blinded fashion, participants were randomized to placebo (n = 26) or metformin (n = 27) treatment during 12 weeks of AET. Independent of treatment, AET decreased fat mass, HbA1c, fasting plasma insulin, 24‐hr ambulant mean glucose, and glycemic variability. However, metformin attenuated the increase in whole‐body insulin sensitivity and VO2max after AET. In the metformin group, there was no overall change in whole‐body insulin sensitivity after AET due to positive and negative responders. Metformin also abrogated the exercise‐mediated increase in skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiration. The change in whole‐body insulin sensitivity was correlated to the change in mitochondrial respiration. Mitochondrial protein synthesis rates assessed during AET were not different between treatments. The influence of metformin on AET‐induced improvements in physiological function was highly variable and associated with the effect of metformin on the mitochondria. These data suggest that prior to prescribing metformin to slow aging, additional studies are needed to understand the mechanisms that elicit positive and negative responses to metformin with and without exercise.

Source

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching