low testosterone vs low thyroid

Buy Lab Tests Online

JayLay777

I was wandering how similar the symptoms are between low thyroid or low testosterone. Can low thyroid cause you’re body to not make as much testosterone as it should or cause you’re testosterone not to work as well it should? Also does taking cytomel lower testosterone by increasing shbg?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

1Draw

I believe thyroid testing should be included with any pre TRT test. At least T3& T4. Hope Defy and Primebody read this. Been there done that. Have been on T therapy for 3 years and recently found out RT3 was high as well as low T3.

ratbag

I was wandering how similar the symptoms are between low thyroid or low testosterone. Can low thyroid cause you're body to not make as much testosterone as it should or cause you're testosterone not to work as well it should? Also does taking cytomel lower testosterone by increasing shbg?

Yes symptoms for both are very similar to each other. Low thyroid can effect all other hormones... not just testosterone. Taking normal dosages of cytomel does not affect SHBG. Only huge doses of cytomel does this.. for example people who subscribe to the concept of clearing their high RT3 with large doses of T3 only, see increases in their SHBG, but this protocol is temporary as it never goes on longer than 12 weeks.

I believe thyroid testing should be included with any pre TRT test. At least T3& T4. Hope Defy and Primebody read this. Been there done that. Have been on T therapy for 3 years and recently found out RT3 was high as well as low T3.
That would cost over 400 bucks (Trt 200 Thyroid panel 240). Pretty steep when one is getting started.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
I would have paid it in a heartbeat knowing now what I didn't know then.

Agree ... small price to pay to start getting back on course with a real life. I remember spending thousands a year on junk and things that were counterproductive. It's a matter of priorities and what the goals are in 10, 20 and 30 years beyond now.

In my case, HRT and lifestyle changes in 2009 changed everything! Professionally speaking, I wasn't doing too bad back then, but my "A" game came alive over the past eight (8) years, and it was actually like an investment that split several times, and keeps paying dividends. Looking at it from that angle, it hasn't cost me a dime, and it has made me money. I would no doubt be anywhere at this level with a 270ng/dl test level, tanked thyroid, adrenal imbalances, etc.

Sorry to divert the course a little bit, but my message to the OP: Don't take any shortcuts up front, get what's needed! If you limp in only halfway, it will just catch you later, results will be limited, costs will be greater.

JayLay777

So treatment for high rt3 is only temporary to get the levels down? And once you’re rt3 is high you’re body can’t bring it back down on its own without synthetic t3?

Vince

Super Moderator
So treatment for high rt3 is only temporary to get the levels down? And once you're rt3 is high you're body can't bring it back down on its own without synthetic t3?

You can bring it down on your own but from what I was reading it can take many years. If you have hypothyroidism or have good thyroid levels but aren't feeling right, have your reverse T3 checked just to make sure.

JayLay777

Vince you said you just started taking t3 medication. Is there any side effects like nervousness or shakiness? I’m really prone to anxiety attacks and if I take cytomel I don’t want to go through that

1Draw

Here is good link on treating high reverse t3:

https://www.restartmed.com/reverse-t3/

Start low and go slow is what I was told and if you up your dose and start to feel hot with rapid heartbeat, go back to previous dose. Never caused me to be nervous and shaking but did feel hot and felt like my body temperature had risen.

I’m currently on Cytomel 10 mg am and 10 mg afternoon. About time for me to up dose. RT3 dropped from 28.1 to 20.4 in one month think I’m close to normal now. Have labs & consult coming up in couple weeks so will know for sure.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince you said you just started taking t3 medication. Is there any side effects like nervousness or shakiness? I'm really prone to anxiety attacks and if I take cytomel I don't want to go through that

I'm taking Synthroid 50 mcg and liothyronine 25 mcg (synthetic T3) first thing in the morning on an empty stomach no food for a half hour. No bad side effects so far. I believe bad side effects would be from if my free T3 levels got too high, so far so good.

ratbag

Taking T3 does not solve high RT3 problems... high RT3 probs are caused by low cortisol and or low ferritin (low iron) Lots of people believe that taking huge doses of T3 clears your RT3 (and it usually does, but only temporarily) Once your T3 levels re-establish normal levels then you have high RT3 again. The root cause of high RT3 needs to be fixed before you can put it behind you.

JayLay777

If there is a difference between low testosterone and low thyroid synptoms what would they be? How would you distinguish them from one another ?

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Exactly Ratbag ^^ High RT3 is due to an underlying issue, it's a natural process to converse energy and resources when something isn't right. As Ratbag mentioned, adding Cytomel T3 doesn't resolve the RT3 issue. It's not like you can override RT3 and it will just start to diminish and fixed. In the case of iron and cortisol being off, adding Cytomel will be even more problematic. FT3 is already pooling, and the traffic jam is going to compound when adding more T3.

The dynamics of how the T4 -> T3/RT3 pathway works and operates is one of the most amazing aspects of how the body is designed to seek homeostasis. RT3 can actually be your best friend at times, trying to bypass it won't resolve the underlying problem.

madman

Super Moderator
If there is a difference between low testosterone and low thyroid synptoms what would they be? How would you distinguish them from one another ?

Did you not already state in an older thread that when you had blood work done through Defy that Dr. Saya told you that your testosterone levels are OK yet you persist that you may have low t?

Nelson even responded to that thread and stated that your testosterone levels looked good.

I am not trying to discourage you and I understand you want to get to the bottom of this to figure out why you are experiencing these negative symptoms but many have replied to your post telling you that your total t/ free t levels are good as they are in the higher end of the range.

Mind you your shbg is near the high end of the range but your free t is also HIGH as oppose to LOW which happens when someones shbg is high.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me